Shot 99 - hit it quite well

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Ever had one of those days? Went out in the medal yesterday in brutal, windy conditions. I hit a lot of really good shots but just couldn't score for toffee. Examples: First, six iron just short, lousy chip, three putts from 10 feet. Second, good drive, beautiful wedge straight at flag, landed short & blew right off back. Weak pitch, two putts. Third, great drive into teeth of gale, lovely 5 wood which finished pin high, shank into bunker, out to 15 feet, 3 putts. Sixth, par 5, two great shots to within 30 yards of green, far too strong with pitch, three putts from back of green. Eleven, cracking drive into a bunker which is easy to carry in calm conditions, just off green in 3, 3 more to get down.

And so it went on, 43 putts & a non existent short game. I have honestly hit the ball much worse than that & scored better. CSS was, unusually, +2 & reductions only. We agreed that it was almost impossible to score in the conditions only to get into the clubhouse to find that one of our mates had shot 74 off 5 & eventually won the competition.

Must work on the short game. At this rate Tashyboy is going to have a better gross than me when we play at Moor Allerton on Wednesday.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Can see Wednesday being a day where Adele would be comfortable in our company. Cannot ever remeber losing so many balls. It is a royal PITA standing on the tee and not having a clue if your ball is gonna go left right or centre.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bill, yesterday was brutal in the NE so I wouldn't be beating myself up about any score. Back to your point, yes I've had plenty of those days.

Very envious about Moor Allerton on Wednesday. I've only played it once but really enjoyed it. A proper course. It is on top of hills though, clues in the title, so I hope it is calmer than yesterday for you.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Score often does not reflect how well you strike the ball. Had 34 points 2 weeks ago and played horrendous. 33 On Saturday and struck the ball beautifully (putting horendous)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hate to say it but it looks like a bad short game day.

You can strike the balll as well as you like but you have to get it in the hole from those good positions.

Too many weak chips, pitches and three putts mentioned.

Even in the worst of weather you should still be able to chip and pitch well.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Hate to say it but it looks like a bad short game day.

You can strike the balll as well as you like but you have to get it in the hole from those good positions.

Too many weak chips, pitches and three putts mentioned.

Even in the worst of weather you should still be able to chip and pitch well.

You hit the nail on the head there. Problem is that I never get a consistent impact so that, on the rare occasions that I hit the shot cleanly, it usually goes too far. Must get out & practise more.

In those sort of conditions the short game is more important because the chances of missing / not reaching greens are higher.

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
You hit the nail on the head there. Problem is that I never get a consistent impact so that, on the rare occasions that I hit the shot cleanly, it usually goes too far. Must get out & practise more.

In those sort of conditions the short game is more important because the chances of missing / not reaching greens are higher.

On occasion, like this one, writing it out shows exactly where you dropped shots. Especially where your hitting it really well.

I've certainly had those days, can get the ball up there but can't get the thing in the hole.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It happens. I played in tough windy conditions and thought I hit it OK but struggled to a meagre 31 points. Putted really well and holed a lot of 4-10 foot putts or it would have been a nightmare. Tried flat out but couldn't make anything happen. You know you're a better player than that so park it and murder it at Moor Allerton