Sexuality In Sport

D

Deleted member 15344

I don't know why anyone needs to make a big song & dance about their sexuality.
Attention seeking if IMO

The attention they "seek" is to try and allow other gay sports people the courage to not be afraid of their choices

They aren't announcing their sexuality for any personal gain - it's to try and change people attitude towards gay athletes in a very masculine dominated sport world

They aren't "attention seekers" and they only feel the need to "announce" their sexuality because there are massive barriers still in front of them and a lack of acceptance of their choices

No current footballer is going to announce he is gay because he knows football fans around the country will ridicule him because he is gay.

It's a change in attitude that needs to change

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Papas to an extent yes I agree with you that it should not make a difference but what has not been said up to yet is that this NFL player in question is the mutts mutts, the gators Tatars, he does his business in the trenches and does it well, he batters quarterbacks, he was voted the best defensive end in the hardest leagues in the college football. He was voted players player in his team he is no 1 in his field and in a business where the greenback is god and winning is everything he will be hot property when it comes to draft picks. So much so I have a feeling his sexual preferences will over shadow the no1 draft pick or heisman trophy winner which is a shame.

having said all that he is someone who you would want on your team and not playing against you. In his changing room he will get some stick but when he gets his first big hit in you wait and see the support he gets from his team mates and fans. Like wise he will get some stick in the line of scrimmage but the support he will get from his team mates may well spur them on.

hope to god he signs for the patriots.

3rd round pick at best, there's other better players available in this draft that will be picked much earlier. He can do a job though and will be a decent 3rd round pick.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
The point, which you may have missed, was that some people associate the gay community with promiscuity partly out if condemnation and partly because it suits their disapproving views.

Did not miss the point but just not the one I am trying to make. Anyway this thread is another that is going nowhere but round and round in circles so will leave it at that.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The attention they "seek" is to try and allow other gay sports people the courage to not be afraid of their choices

They aren't announcing their sexuality for any personal gain - it's to try and change people attitude towards gay athletes in a very masculine dominated sport world

They aren't "attention seekers" and they only feel the need to "announce" their sexuality because there are massive barriers still in front of them and a lack of acceptance of their choices

No current footballer is going to announce he is gay because he knows football fans around the country will ridicule him because he is gay.

Pretty much a Plus 1 for me!

I worked with 3 'openly' gay guys (supervising 1, though he was the 'team editor' so he edited my work) in the mid-late 70s. 3 completely different levels of open-ness - semi closet; overtly camp; activist. There were never any tricky toilet moments, even with the homophobic attitude that was dominant at that time.

A little homophobia isn't necessarily a bad thing imo, as long as it's recognised who has the problem - and it doesn't turn into prejudice.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Think you'll find that a current footballers as announced he's gay:eek:
It was only my opinion,I never stated it was a fact:thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

Think you'll find that a current footballers as announced he's gay:eek:
It was only my opinion,I never stated it was a fact:thup:

Which footballer is that ?

Hitzelsperger who has retired

Robbie Rodgers who announced his retirement when announcing he was gay

Or the guy playing semi pro in front off a couple hundred people in non league football ?

And I know it's your opinion - it was an opinion that appears to show a lack of understanding of why sports men and women announce their sexuality to people

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Which footballer is that ?

Hitzelsperger who has retired

Robbie Rodgers who announced his retirement when announcing he was gay

Or the guy playing semi pro in front off a couple hundred people in non league football ?

And I know it's your opinion - it was an opinion that appears to show a lack of understanding of why sports men and women announce their sexuality to people

Yes it was the semi pro one,when you said footballer I thought you meant footballer,not high profile footballer:confused:
Sorry that my showed lack of understanding

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not sure if I have misinterpreted that, but really:confused:

H'mm. My blunder, for not keeping up with the changed/different meaning of 'Homophobia' - from my 40 year old one in a different country. I apologise!

The original 'fear/dread of being in close quarters with homosexuals' was the meaning I was using. It appears to have morphed/changed to the much more sinister 'oppressive prejudice; hatred and intolerance' meaning, which was definitely not what I meant.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes it was the semi pro one,when you said footballer I thought you meant footballer,not high profile footballer:confused:
Sorry that my showed lack of understanding

We'll I would hope most people would see the clear difference between Pro Footballers and non league footballers and the different pressures they would both face. Even then the guy playing semi pro gets homophobic taunts from the 50 odd people he plays in front ( if they even know who he is )

I know two international sportswomen who were a couple for nearly a decade - they came out together when they decided to get married - they didn't do it to gain any attention but to show other sports people that they shouldn't feel ashamed or hide their sexuality

No pro footballer will "come out" until the football fans attitude changes

D

Deleted member 15344

The irony is that fans views are unlikely to change until high profile footballers start to come out. That's why it will be so hard for the first few who do.

Only to read a few views in the thread to see why

Fans are tribal - "real men " and they use anything to gain something over a player - it drips with masculinity

Just read about the abuse Le Saux got just because they thought he was gay

Times that by a hundred

Pin-seeker

Visit site
We'll I would hope most people would see the clear difference between Pro Footballers and non league footballers and the different pressures they would both face. Even then the guy playing semi pro gets homophobic taunts from the 50 odd people he plays in front ( if they even know who he is )

I know two international sportswomen who were a couple for nearly a decade - they came out together when they decided to get married - they didn't do it to gain any attention but to show other sports people that they shouldn't feel ashamed or hide their sexuality

No pro footballer will "come out" until the football fans attitude changes

No worries phil,like I said it was only my opinion. Don't let it bother you:thup:

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Tough one.

Sharing the same playing field, even in a contact sport, no problem.

Sharing a changing room with someone who doesn't find you sexually attractive is one thing but sharing it with someone who develops an erection as you walk past from the showers... sorry, but my stomach flips at the thought.

hahaha, you obviously have a very high opinion of yourself. Would you be upset if they didn't get an erection as well?

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I'm sorry but that is rubbish. So your saying gay men don't find The likes of Beckham or Brad Pitt attractive?

just because you find someone attractive doesn't really mean anything.
Ask yourself - are you married or in a relationship? Do you find other people attractive? do you consider this to be a problem? do the people you find attractive consider this to be a problem?
Are you trying to have sex with the people you find attractive? If yes, you are not a very nice person. If no, how is this any different to the example you are giving?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Ask yourself - are you married or in a relationship? Do you find other people attractive? do you consider this to be a problem? do the people you find attractive consider this to be a problem?
Are you trying to have sex with the people you find attractive? If yes, you are not a very nice person. If no, how is this any different to the example you are giving?

I don't think it's homophobic to not want to share a locker room. Woman don't want men in their locker room as they would fill uncomfortable, do to feeling like sexual objects. So do we change the rules and have it so that men can share lockers with ugly women, as they won't be found attractive so no need to worry?

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Why should sportsmen/womenhave to confirm their sexuality?
How does it make it better for the sport?

In fact why do people In general have to tell all in sundry their business?

I think a lot of boils down to the way the majority of people broadcast their daily routines all over the web via social media etc and others who think it's perfectly fine to pass comment and or judgment on others.

Private life should remain exactly that.

I think it is more important than that. I imagine that having gay icons will help anyone struggling with their own sexuality to come to terms with it as normal and nothing to be ashamed of. This could then help them to also come out openly to family and friends.

The bigger issue is that it doesn't matter what other people think and people shouldn't be ashamed of being themselves.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Personally I don't have a problem sharing a locker room with any one.
I'm pretty sure if I was in a locker room with attractive women they'd find it a bit strange when they catch me staring.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well I read just recently that, with most blokes when meeting or seeing a woman, the first thing that comes to mind is how good sex would be - are we not very shallow chaps - if it is true. I don't know whether the same applies for gay guys - ooh.