Sex Discrimination

matchplayers

Visit site
I've always wondered why the men's tour, don't use sex discrimination rules as to why they can't play in shorts. If it's good enough for the ladies....

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's 2 completely separate tours with different rules.

There are men's tours where they can wear shorts.

The gender is absolutely nothing to do with it.
That doesn't remove the discriminatory aspect from the rules on Tours that don't allow shorts!

And gender appears to be everything to do with it!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That's absolute nonsense.
Just because members of a completely separate tour wear shorts, and they just happen to be a different gender, it doesn't make anything "discriminatory".
'Just happen' would not be discriminatory imo. But it's a bit more than that! Now I'm not actually sure I'd want to see the lower legs of some golfers 'in the flesh', but that doesn't mean requiring men to wear long trousers at USGA tournaments and allowing Ladies to wear shorts at USGA tournaments is not 'discriminatory'!
And trust me..Men's Tours will (generally) allow 'tailored' shorts in the not too distant future!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the same tour authority administered both genders tours then there could be mileage in this. As it is completely separate bodies run each tour so it doesn't stick. The European Tour and US PGA, or whoever it is, don't have the rule because they are male, they just have the rule period.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
It's 2 completely separate tours with different rules.
If by that you mean there's a rule on the PGA tour that competitors must wear long trousers, consider this:
When Michelle Wie got a couple of invites to play in PGA tour events a few years ago, I don't remember her having to wear long trousers.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
'Just happen' would not be discriminatory imo. But it's a bit more than that! Now I'm not actually sure I'd want to see the lower legs of some golfers 'in the flesh', but that doesn't mean requiring men to wear long trousers at USGA tournaments and allowing Ladies to wear shorts at USGA tournaments is not 'discriminatory'!
Yep doesnt bother me in the least but the top tours in both games . One can /one cant thats discrimination whatever way u wana dress it up..

D

Deleted member 1147

Oh ffs.
How on earth is it sex discrimination?
It's 2 completely separate, unlinked entities.

That being said, wouldn't be a surprise to see them playing in shorts more regularly in the not too distant future, just as they already have done in South Africa.
Does that mean they allowed shorts on the sunshine tour?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If the same tour authority administered both genders tours then there could be mileage in this. As it is completely separate bodies run each tour so it doesn't stick. The European Tour and US PGA, or whoever it is, don't have the rule because they are male, they just have the rule period.

I'm with you. Managed by separate bodies who impose their own rules and so if you don't agree with not wearing shorts don't take up your ET or PGA tour card. I do think they'll be a time when the mens tours will revoke this and allow shorts (and to be fair can't understand why not now)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If by that you mean there's a rule on the PGA tour that competitors must wear long trousers, consider this:
When Michelle Wie got a couple of invites to play in PGA tour events a few years ago, I don't remember her having to wear long trousers.
I was, indeed, trying to remember whether she did or didn't. If she did, no prob. If she didn't, then further evidence of 'discrimination' imo. Missing from either tour these days - but for an entirely valid reason! I'm not a great sentimentalist, but I loved her quote 'I've been waiting all my life for you'!

D

Deleted member 18588

Er...What? 'In itself' actually DOES make it discriminatory - on basis of gender! It needs further reason(s) to overcome that!
How about for a start it is two entirely separate authorities both here and in the States. LPGA & PGA, ET & LET.

Plus dress standards/codes are viewed on the grounds of what is deemed reasonable.

Just ask the parents of smart arsed kids who have challenged different rules at school

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
How about for a start it is two entirely separate authorities both here and in the States. LPGA & PGA, ET & LET.

Plus dress standards/codes are viewed on the grounds of what is deemed reasonable.

Just ask the parents of smart arsed kids who have challenged different rules at school
That's not the 'in itself' that you applied!

D

Deleted member 18588

That's not the 'in itself' that you applied!
I am eternally grateful to you for informing me what I posted.

You certainly weren't at the back of the queue when they were handing out the pomposity quota.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
l
Wonder how this answer goes down in relation to €€/$$

Also does any1 know if dress code is different on both mens tours and both womwns tours? ?

Last edited: