Sex Discrimination

D

Deleted Member 1156

Blimey this thread just sums up the modern world. Classic case of somebody trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. A mens tour sets a dress code for other men and somebody tries to make that into a sexist issue?

Get a life................

D

Deleted Member 1156

I think it's discrimination that women show jumpers have to wear a helmet, and yet male snooker players do not. The fact the events are organised by totally different organisations has passed me by - and I'm angry about that too!
If it helps you to deal with your anger I'd like to point out that swimmers of both sexes wear caps :)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I've often wondered why players don't make a bigger stand in order to be allowed to wear shorts.

I'd say that if there was a big pairing at a tour event, say Rory, Brooks and Rahm - they should just walk onto the 1st tee on a Thursday with shorts on and play. There is zero chance the tour will DQ them. And they'd probably just open up the rule for everyone.

The rule is so daft. If they were concerned that some players would just wear shorts all the time (and they would) they could make the rule on a day by day basis or week to week, depending on temperatures.

I don't really know what they are worried about? Is the product going to be cheapened by competitors wearing shorts?
People will get used to it very quickly and it will be a non-issue within a week or two.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Of course they would DQ them.
They can't just break rules they don't like. They wouldn't be allowed on the practice ground before they'd even hit a ball to start with.

Players probably aren't making such a fuss about it because they don't feel strongly enough as a majority, but that's guessing, who knows?

It will come, probably soon, and yeah everyone will wonder what the fuss was but they have to go through the correct process to get there.

well we will need to agree to disagree, because in my view there is no way they would DQ 3 top players in such circumstances.

No one from the Tour is going to want to tell the sponsor that the 3 biggest draws have been DQd on Thursday morning - especially when they are on the verge of getting a load of free publicity as the story breaks. They'll probably make noises about a fine if they really want to take a stance, but Id be amazed if it was a DQ.

The Tour constantly bends over backwards to try and avoid DQing people, even minor competitors, because they don't want to set a precedent that could end up applying to Tiger or Rory.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
...anyone know why shorts are not allowed on Tour? Is it just "appearance?"

...in the days I played proper cricket it never occurred to me to want to wear shorts. Long trousers keep thigh pads etc from moving around, so no advantage to it. Fielders slide around all over the place no so would have not skin left on their knees/thighs!

D

Deleted Member 1156

I can't think of any sensible reason to ban shorts on tour. If the players want to wear them then crack on. But they must be tailored shorts worn with knee length stockings obviously.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've often wondered why players don't make a bigger stand in order to be allowed to wear shorts.

I'd say that if there was a big pairing at a tour event, say Rory, Brooks and Rahm - they should just walk onto the 1st tee on a Thursday with shorts on and play. There is zero chance the tour will DQ them. And they'd probably just open up the rule for everyone.

The rule is so daft. If they were concerned that some players would just wear shorts all the time (and they would) they could make the rule on a day by day basis or week to week, depending on temperatures.

I don't really know what they are worried about? Is the product going to be cheapened by competitors wearing shorts?
People will get used to it very quickly and it will be a non-issue within a week or two.

I can just see Major General Algenon Ponsenby Smythe from the Surbiton Golf Club going apoplectic at this post thinking what they do on tour will soon happen at all golf clubs

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

...in the days I played proper cricket it never occurred to me to want to wear shorts. Long trousers keep thigh pads etc from moving around, so no advantage to it. Fielders slide around all over the place no so would have not skin left on their knees/thighs!
I believe it is all about appearance, 'trousers look more professional' (not my words)

I still shudder at some of the skin burns I got in the outfield, diving on hard squares and that was with trousers. The thought of doing that in shorts o_O, no thanks.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
def on display at ours.... Ladies have been allowed to go back to their four full two hour slots and two hour slots from this week. the mens roll ups are still not allowed to block book and the ladies have had a tee time blocked out in the couple of the mens comps that are starting end of July.

so 2 hours Tues AM 8 till 10 then 12 till one then two hour 4.30 till 6 .30 Same on Thursday... ladies can also book any other time of the week including Sat and Sun

so much for equality

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Of course they would DQ them.
They can't just break rules they don't like. They wouldn't be allowed on the practice ground before they'd even hit a ball to start with.

Players probably aren't making such a fuss about it because they don't feel strongly enough as a majority, but that's guessing, who knows?

It will come, probably soon, and yeah everyone will wonder what the fuss was but they have to go through the correct process to get there.
Genuine question.
Under what rule would they be DQd.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Once upon a day when golf was played by likes of Harry Vardon - golfers were advised to wear a jacket and braces - as both jacket and braces gave better feeling of compactness through the swing. Belts were just not good enough. Wearing shorts with braces and a jacket - now that just wouldn't work.

Besides - back then the only folks who wore shorts were footballers and rugby players - and they were lesser beings than those who played the gentlemen's games of golf and cricket.

Actually just made that last bit up. The first bit is what was actually advised for dress when playing.

sunshine

Visit site
Once upon a day when golf was played by likes of Harry Vardon - golfers were advised to wear a jacket and braces - as both jacket and braces gave better feeling of compactness through the swing. Belts were just not good enough. Wearing shorts with braces and a jacket - now that just wouldn't work.

Besides - back then the only folks who wore shorts were footballers and rugby players - and they were lesser beings than those who played the gentlemen's games of golf and cricket.

Actually just made that last bit up. The first bit is what was actually advised for dress when playing.

I find playing in a straightjacket is helpful (keeps my arms close to the body) and so is a top hat (helps keep head still).

But seriously, golf was played long before Vardon. What he wore was probably inappropriate compared to what golfers wore 200+ years ago.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Oh ffs.
How on earth is it sex discrimination?
It's 2 completely separate, unlinked entities.

That being said, wouldn't be a surprise to see them playing in shorts more regularly in the not too distant future, just as they already have done in South Africa.
We're ahead of the sartorial curve back home! :ROFLMAO:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
PGA Tour membership rules that include dress codes, standards of behaviour etc etc.

This. If you aren't prepared to adhere to tour rules which rightly or wrongly states long trousers in the mens game then don't bother taking up your tour card and give it to the next man on the list. Or put another way, give up what you've striven to achieve and the opportunity to earn millions playing a game you love because you want to wear shorts. Don't think so

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
well we will need to agree to disagree, because in my view there is no way they would DQ 3 top players in such circumstances.

No one from the Tour is going to want to tell the sponsor that the 3 biggest draws have been DQd on Thursday morning - especially when they are on the verge of getting a load of free publicity as the story breaks. They'll probably make noises about a fine if they really want to take a stance, but Id be amazed if it was a DQ.

The Tour constantly bends over backwards to try and avoid DQing people, even minor competitors, because they don't want to set a precedent that could end up applying to Tiger or Rory.

So when the rest of the field raises the issue, what then?

They let them play, they finish 1, 2 & 3 having broken the rules. Do you seriously think the bloke finishing 4th, looking at the pot of $1.5 million & a 2 year exemption, is going to stand there & applaud or highlight the breach?

The real reason they won't disqualify them is the the Tour will take them to one side, read them their fortune and they'll all trot along to the first tee in long trousers like good little boys. If they're going to wear shorts it will be by negotiation, not demonstration.