Screw club manufacturers!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
This is why wedges no longer have a 'W' or 'S' on the bottom. In the past there was only one possible loft that a normal pitching wedge could be, hence the 'W'. The other wedge in your bag was usually a sand iron and had an 'S' on it.

With the decreasing of the lofts of the other clubs it has caused a massive gapping issue at the wedge end of the bag. Consequently we need more wedges, and because we now need more than a 'W' or 'S' wedge the majority of new wedges all have the loft in actual numbers stamped on them.

Why not just put the lofts on the whole iron set?

Some do but I am guessing that will confuse the average punter even more. Now punters know they roughly want from 4 or 5 iron to pitching or sand wedge. Imagine how complicated it would be if the average punter then had to work out what lofted clubs they needed throughout the whole bag? It's bad enough with wedges which only really span a relatively short range of loft angles.

Last edited:

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All it takes is for someone to ask

If they have failed to realise that lofts on different manufacturers are different then I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be bothered about it

In this day and age I'm amazed anyone spends a good deal of money without doing some basic research of what you are buying
Except the OP didn't realise and he was very bothered about it.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Because he thought lofts were standardised as most people who don't eat, sleep and drink golf will do.

D

Deleted member 15344

Because he thought lofts were standardised as most people who don't eat, sleep and drink golf will do.

Lofts havent been standard for decades I would suggest and all it takes to find that out is ask - I didn't eat sleep and drink golf and knew that.

Last edited by a moderator:

WWG

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
So you didn't check the lofts on both clubs to see the difference as its common knowledge that different manufacturers possibly have different lofts on each club

This is especially true with hybrids and woods, but most people check the spec first. I just bought a new set or irons, and whilst they may be better than my old ones, each club doesn't project the ball as far as my last. I am not bothered though, as my hybrids fill in the shots between my 5 iron and 5 wood. I think the poster of the thread should view his purchase as being more consistent and accurate, rather than being to concerned about the distance, especially as he can always go up a club if required.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've never fully understood the "need more wedges" argument. Surely people know that they can just vary the swing length to control distance don't they?? 2 wedges are enough. 3 is also good. Some prefer 4. Who cares.

With regards to standardised irons, As long as you know how far you hit each club then what's the problem. The only real consideration should be dispersion (and maybe launch height).

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought that the increase in loft was necessary to counteract the affect of perimeter weighting, a necessity rather than an attempt to dupe consumers.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Isn't the fitter more culpable here? OK I can kind of buy that someone may assume that all 7 irons are the same (but then again do they assume all 1.6 litre engines are the same, all 4 bedroom houses are the same). But surely a quick question to the fitter or the fitter even explaining this would have sorted this all out?

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
learnergolfer.wordpress.com
Except the OP didn't realise and he was very bothered about it.

Spot on. I think it also depends on what is meant by "basic" research (cf. Liverpoolphil). I researched price, suitability for a high-handicapper, shaft type (graphite is my preference), customer reviews, make (I targeted Benross because of their target being club golfers rather than everyone including pros - if that's incorrect, please someone tell me!), and to a certain extent customer reviews. Is that basic research, or less than basic research?

I didn't research on lofts because, as you rightly said in other post, I had no reason to believe that all 7 iron lofts aren't created equal.

As I mentioned earlier, I feel like my A-B comparison with my 7 iron was something of a waste of time, and that I'll now have to go back and test it again but against my 6 iron in order to see what, if any, improvement (not just on distance) these new clubs might offer.

Or perhaps the whole 'buying a new set of clubs' idea is actually pointless! Maybe my clubs are fine and a new set won't offer anything to me beyond being shinier. :)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've never fully understood the "need more wedges" argument. Surely people know that they can just vary the swing length to control distance don't they?? 2 wedges are enough. 3 is also good. Some prefer 4. Who cares.

With regards to standardised irons, As long as you know how far you hit each club then what's the problem. The only real consideration should be dispersion (and maybe launch height).

Lets say I hit my longest iron thats not a wedge 150yds carry. Lets now assume I'm far more accurate hitting a wedge 95% than I am hitting it 60% 70% 80% or 90%. Would you want more or less wedges????

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lets say I hit my longest iron thats not a wedge 150yds carry. Lets now assume I'm far more accurate hitting a wedge 95% than I am hitting it 60% 70% 80% or 90%. Would you want more or less wedges????
:D
I'd probably want to get better at hitting it 60, 70, 80 and 90% to be honest.

In in all honesty, I have no issue with people carrying as many wedges as they want. Carry a bag full for me. But to blame the iron set lofts for the issue just seems a bit like blame shifting to me.

Find end the irons that put you in the best position to score well. The number on the bottom is almost irrelevant. You could give them all girls names. "For this shot I'm going to pull out Victoria" ;)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
:D
I'd probably want to get better at hitting it 60, 70, 80 and 90% to be honest.

In in all honesty, I have no issue with people carrying as many wedges as they want. Carry a bag full for me. But to blame the iron set lofts for the issue just seems a bit like blame shifting to me.

Find end the irons that put you in the best position to score well. The number on the bottom is almost irrelevant. You could give them all girls names. "For this shot I'm going to pull out Victoria" ;)

damn been playing 25 years and never thought of that lol

Im not blaming the lofts just explaining why for me I carry more wedges, Ive just ensured I have the lofts that best suit me and my game (and address my short comings the best they can)