Scottish Fitba'

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My lad is a bit of a Sheffield Utd fan (living in Sheff with Utd being his Sheffield team) and he tells me that McBurnie has a pretty thin fan club amongst Utd fans. Mind you Oliver Burke isn't held in that much higher esteem by Utd fans - and I think he's done a bit better for Scotland of late.

I'd still give McBurnie a start against Israel - he knows he's just got to contribute more and better. We can bring on Dykes if things go as we expect.

Got to start with Dykes, in his few games so far has looked excellent and contributed way more than McBurnie ever has.

We need the strongest team possible on the pitch on Wednesday as it’s a must win game to confirm us as group winners which also enhances our chances in World Cup qualification.

We played pretty well yesterday and a confident and capable centre forward could have had a couple of goals instead we had McBurnie fluffing his lines again!!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Got to start with Dykes, in his few games so far has looked excellent and contributed way more than McBurnie ever has.

We need the strongest team possible on the pitch on Wednesday as it’s a must win game to confirm us as group winners which also enhances our chances in World Cup qualification.

We played pretty well yesterday and a confident and capable centre forward could have had a couple of goals instead we had McBurnie fluffing his lines again!!
Trooo...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes - i forgot also - Dykes not yet being a name that immediately leaps to mind when I think of players names first on the team-sheet...but absolutely he is - very Joe Jordan'ish in his play - and if he can do a quarter of which JJ achieved for us - sorted.

Tommy10

Visit site
We need a win in Israel to top the group as the Czechs will beat Slovakia at home, they are only a point behind us just now although if we lost and they drew we'd still beat them on head to head.

The win in Israel would be a much easier method :)

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
We need a win in Israel to top the group as the Czechs will beat Slovakia at home, they are only a point behind us just now although if we lost and they drew we'd still beat them on head to head.

The win in Israel would be a much easier method :)
This is Scotland. Nothing is easy ?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
McBurnie is dreadful. One of the worst players I've ever seen. I thought Oliver Burke was bad, but this guy is ten times worse. The thought of him playing at the Euros is an awful one.

Hopefully Clarke will get wise to him soon.

Clarke and the team seem to be sticking by him.
I bow to their superior knowledge but for me Kris Boyd would have stuck away at least two of those chances and probably got one of the oppo center backs sent off as well. [And he has been retired for two years.]

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I bow to their superior knowledge but for me Kris Boyd would have stuck away at least two of those chances and probably got one of the oppo center backs sent off as well. [And he has been retired for two years.]
I'll give a wee shout out for Stevie May (OK - humour me) - he's as (im)mobile as McBurnie but at least he knows how to score goals.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Listening on the wireless it seems that one of the oppo team players was named Doodaa. It would have made for interesting listening if he had a team mate called Day

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think I'd still start with McBurnie. Though the unfortunate truth is that when Scotland play Griffiths it seems we lose a lump of support from one half of Glasgow - mind you - am I bovvered? Actually I am a bit though it doesn't cause me to lose sleep. It continues, and will never fail, to disappoint me how anti the Scottish national team many supporters of certain clubs seem to be, especially when certain players are selected. Well - maybe Scotland is better without their 'support'. There are enough decent and passionate supporters of Scotland from all Scottish clubs.

Sweeping statement there...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sweeping statement there...
Not at all intending to be sweeping or in any way generalising - as I was careful in my use of ‘many’ as that is what it can seem to a supporter of a smaller Scottish team. I don’t sense much negative feeling or antipathy towards the Scottish national team and the Tartan Army from these supporters - yes there can be ambivalence about Scotland but not the antipathy I sense from some supporters of bigger teams (and for these teams ‘some’ can actually be quite a number of individuals).

It would be good if you could tell me that I am mistaken and a Griffiths goal for Scotland would be cheered to the rafters by the regulars down Govan way.?. I know that very many - probably the vast majority would be cheering (including my ibrox ST holder brother and niece).

But I don’t get the unabashed antipathy of some - I certainly don’t recall it from when I was at school in the 70s and later in the 80s when a big mixed bunch of us mostly Rangers and Celtic supporters would be Hamden regulars and passionate about the national team.

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not at all intending to be sweeping or in any way generalising - as I was careful in my use of ‘many’ as that is what it can seem to a supporter of a smaller Scottish team. I don’t sense much negative feeling or antipathy towards the Scottish national team and the Tartan Army from these supporters - yes there can be ambivalence about Scotland but not the antipathy I sense from some supporters of bigger teams (and for these teams ‘some’ can actually be quite a number of individuals).

It would be good if you could tell me that I am mistaken and a Griffiths goal for Scotland would be cheered to the rafters by the regulars down Govan way.?. I know that very many - probably the vast majority would be cheering (including my ibrox ST holder brother and niece).

But I don’t get the unabashed antipathy of some - I certainly don’t recall it from when I was at school in the 70s and later in the 80s when a big mixed bunch of us mostly Rangers and Celtic supporters would be Hamden regulars and passionate about the national team.

There has been a general lack of interest in the Scotland team more recently because they (let's face it) have been poor for a long time.
Many club fans are also not that fussed for the national team as their hearts lie with their club.
The same could be said for a lot of the players, just look at how many call offs there are for Scotland, is that the same across the world? These players don't have much passion for the NT, that rubs off on the fans.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Griffiths is a big IF, but the best {unfit } striker we have atm, sorry Ally and WP lol.
But you have to ask why he hasn't been involved more often in Celtic games :confused:.

Griffiths is a great finisher but Scotland needs a player for the whole team, Dykes fits the bill there.
I doubt that Griffiths is reliable enough to place too much faith in him.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There has been a general lack of interest in the Scotland team more recently because they (let's face it) have been poor for a long time.
Many club fans are also not that fussed for the national team as their hearts lie with their club.
The same could be said for a lot of the players, just look at how many call offs there are for Scotland, is that the same across the world? These players don't have much passion for the NT, that rubs off on the fans.
I 100% get ambivalence - I don’t get antipathy...anyway...all for one and one for all ?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Griffiths is a great finisher but Scotland needs a player for the whole team, Dykes fits the bill there.
I doubt that Griffiths is reliable enough to place too much faith in him.

they are very different players. I'd play both, Dykes will win everything in the air, Griff will feed off his knockdowns.

The problem though is Griffiths won't last 90 minutes, you've got to hope we get an hour out of him, and we are a goal or two to the good by the time he goes off.

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
Wembley tickets

England v Scotland
June 2021

This may be of interest to one of you. A friend of mine has two tickets in a corporate box for England v Scotland. He paid £300 each, but he didn't realise when he bought them that it was going to be the same day as his Covid 19 postponed wedding. If you are interested, he is looking for someone to take his place.

It's at Kirkcaldy Registry Office, at 2.30pm. The bride's name is Moira, she's 5'4", about 8 stone, quite pretty, has her own income and is a really good cook.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wembley tickets

England v Scotland
June 2021

This may be of interest to one of you. A friend of mine has two tickets in a corporate box for England v Scotland. He paid £300 each, but he didn't realise when he bought them that it was going to be the same day as his Covid 19 postponed wedding. If you are interested, he is looking for someone to take his place.

It's at Kirkcaldy Registry Office, at 2.30pm. The bride's name is Moira, she's 5'4", about 8 stone, quite pretty, has her own income and is a really good cook.

Does she support the wee team? If so count me out ?