Scottish Fitba'

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
aye I think christie and McGregor would and could do the same,
You said Scotland dont produce players like Solomon & Natcho that can unlock defences I say there is a few players in our squad who can unlock defences and score a goal

I'm just not sure there is any evidence to back that claim. This calendar year we have played 8 games and scored 6 goals. SIX. That does not speak to me of players unlocking defences and scoring, it speaks to me of a team struggling to break defences down and scraping results here and there. (We conceded 5 over the same period)

Yes, we have had a couple of decent results, but lets be realistic about the abilities. Going back to October/November last year we scored 11 goals in 3 games, just sadly that was against the might of Kazakhstan, Cyprus and San Marino (and only against San Marino did we keep a clean sheet).

Israel are something like FIFA ranked 85th, and that appears to be the level where we start to struggle. Lets not kid ourselves about the Czech results, with half their team missing one game and pretty much the whole team the other.

I am not being negative before the usual suspects start, but realistic. You don't jump in an Austin Metro and go 155mph just because you believe it can and to think otherwise is negativity.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
When, at international level, are we going to see it then?

We’ve seen a lot of so called “lesser nations” in recent times and they all have at least one player you fear for next time you play them as they stand out as being very skilful and clever.

Don’t get me wrong, we have came on leaps and bounds in recent times especially defensively but yet we still fail to create chances regularly and you don’t win games without scoring goals!!
I'd say that's more the system than the players we set up to try and not loose when we go for it the more technical players thrive

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd say that's more the system than the players we set up to try and not loose when we go for it the more technical players thrive

We’ve played on the front foot for most of the last 3 games and have played pretty well and been the better team in all 3 games but the problem is when we get into the final 3rd.

Like I say we lack that one or two players to then create a chance or do something themselves to make a chance for themselves. If we had players like that we would have won these games relatively comfortably but as it is we drew 1-1 and had two 1-0 defeats those score lines against hardly world beating nations speak for themselves!

Yes we have tightened up at the back but we are still not creating chances!

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
We’ve played on the front foot for most of the last 3 games and have played pretty well and been the better team in all 3 games but the problem is when we get into the final 3rd.

Like I say we lack that one or two players to then create a chance or do something themselves to make a chance for themselves. If we had players like that we would have won these games relatively comfortably but as it is we drew 1-1 and had two 1-0 defeats those score lines against hardly world beating nations speak for themselves!

Yes we have tightened up at the back but we are still not creating chances!
Actually I disagree. We are creating loads of chances. And I mean loads. Not via guile and quick feet, mind you. We just can't convert them.
Not really sure how Casuk can class McGregor, Christie and Tierney as having bags of skill. They have skill, and are good, but not in the way that was meant. They have pace and are able to run onto things. Just not that often for Scotland. Over the last few months we've been very positive and taken the game to most teams (Israel at home in the playoff was dire) so not really sure how anyone can say we're negative.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Actually I disagree. We are creating loads of chances. And I mean loads. Not via guile and quick feet, mind you. We just can't convert them.
Not really sure how Casuk can class McGregor, Christie and Tierney as having bags of skill. They have skill, and are good, but not in the way that was meant. They have pace and are able to run onto things. Just not that often for Scotland. Over the last few months we've been very positive and taken the game to most teams (Israel at home in the playoff was dire) so not really sure how anyone can say we're negative.

Agree we have been positive and as I say for the most part of recent games we were on front foot but I certainly don’t remember loads of chances created for the strikers! In fact O’Donnell had 2 attempts at goal which was probably as many as the strikers had between them!

Bottom line, we nearly won the group and scored 5 goals in 6 games against not exactly world powers so making and taking chances is clearly a serious issue!

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Agree we have been positive and as I say for the most part of recent games we were on front foot but I certainly don’t remember loads of chances created for the strikers! In fact O’Donnell had 2 attempts at goal which was probably as many as the strikers had between them!

Bottom line, we nearly won the group and scored 5 goals in 6 games against not exactly world powers so making and taking chances is clearly a serious issue!

McBurnie missed three sitters against Slovakia.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Told you it would be a good game!!

Great result Pars!!

Well played you guys. That looks like a decent team with loads of energy.
Like Hearts they missed about 4 or 5 good chances.
I always thought that Stevie Crawford would make a good manager, learning his trade with Robbie at Tynecastle and MK Dons hurts a bit though.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well played you guys. That looks like a decent team with loads of energy.
Like Hearts they missed about 4 or 5 good chances.
I always thought that Stevie Crawford would make a good manager, learning his trade with Robbie at Tynecastle and MK Dons hurts a bit though.

Yeah so far looking pretty decent, all this talk about Hearts first defeat of the season and not a mention that we are now 9 games unbeaten with only 1 draw in there and a 3-0 away win at Kilmarnock in the cup!!

Great performance and to get the win especially when the ref obviously had Hearts on his coupon was very pleasing!!

COYP

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
To all on this thread.....My apologies that my info on the 2 covidiots at Ibrox was apparently wrong and they are not leaving the premises!It's been decreed that a 7 game ban each/loss of rather huge wages and some serious grovelling to the management,teammates and the press is deemed sufficient punishment-standards eh?
Great game last night,glad I tuned in while listening to 'at home with Bruce Springsteen'on BBC Sounds(superb mix of songs/styles)
As for Scotland losing last 2 games,then poor results in my eyes-when are we going to score in open play(thought Griffiths had done vs. Israel).Do we even look like scoring??
Jimbo