Scottish Fitba'

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
We just don't seem to have a consistent answer to Israel.

Last two years we have played them 5 times. Won 1, Drawn 2 and Lost 2. Scoring 5 but conceding 6 (inc a 0-0 in there).

Clarke has had 2 games against them already and from what I saw last night has learned nothing from those games. Taking Dykes off again when he was our most likely outlet and persisting with McBurnie (utter gash).

I'd like to see Dykes and Griffiths being given a run out together but Clarke just doesn't seem to fancy it whilst keeping on with McBurnie.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why is it every other country in the world manages to produce at least on player with “great feet” as commentators call it? Israel have at least 2 in Solomon & Natcho. That one player with the ability to produce one moment of magic to unlock a defence or score a goal?

Hard work and determination will only get you so far, you need someone with that little extra something which we haven’t had since Kenny Dalglish.

The last two games have cried out for a little piece of skill just to create something out of nothing!

U

User62651

Where can I find an idiots guide explanation of what it is and how Nations League works?:(

All I know is that it was supposed to replace friendlies or something.

Does doing well in nations league allow another route into both the Euros and the World Cup? Definitely heard something before yesterdays' game that if Scotland won (moot now) they'd get into a higher tier where they could find a route to Qatar outside of regular WC group qualifying, I think.

Have we even started WC qualifying group matches yet? Have groups even been drawn?

The Nations League finals - is that only 4 teams qualifying, was that supposed to be in the odd year summers between the world cup and european championships?

All seemed simpler when you just had the Euros and World Cup with qualifying in the year and a half advance of the actual tournaments.:oops:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Where can I find an idiots guide explanation of what it is and how Nations League works?:(

Does doing well in nations league allow another route into both the Euros and the World Cup? Definitely heard something before yesterdays' game that if Scotland won (moot now) they'd get into a higher tier where they could find a route to Qatar outside of regular WC group qualifying, I think.

Have we even started WC qualifying group matches yet? Have groups even been drawn?

The Nations League finals - is that only 4 teams qualifying, was that supposed to be in the odd year summers between the world cup and european championships?

All seemed simpler when you just had the Euros and World Cup with qualifying in the year and a half advance of the actual tournaments.:oops:

The general premise was to replace friendlies with something more competitive and to tier it so that the "lesser" nations actually had a chance of winning games and/or something and potentially seeing progress (albeit quite staged progress). And to offer an additional alternate route in to the Euros and WC. Now, to that extent, had it been as simple as it used to be, we would not be going to the Euros next summer.

I don't think the format is perfect but it at least gives something to play for beyond meaningless (by the very definition of the word) friendlies that it replaced.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The general premise was to replace friendlies with something more competitive and to tier it so that the "lesser" nations actually had a chance of winning games and/or something and potentially seeing progress (albeit quite staged progress). And to offer an additional alternate route in to the Euros and WC. Now, to that extent, had it been as simple as it used to be, we would not be going to the Euros next summer.

I don't think the format is perfect but it at least gives something to play for beyond meaningless (by the very definition of the word) friendlies that it replaced.
Though back in the day even the Home Internationals against Wales and NI started to become a bit meh...and other than the England games fans were stopping bothering trudging along to a totally decrepit and dangerous Hampden (though me and my mates kept going until the end...:) )

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

From the BBC's report on the Wales game last night -

"Winning their group also enhances Wales' chances of securing a place in the 2022 World Cup qualifying play-offs.

Should they miss out on automatic qualification or a play-off place for the tournament in Qatar, their status as Nations League group winners means they are virtually guaranteed a play-off spot via an alternative route."

not sure what "virtually guaranteed" actually means!

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
They've made two world cup play off places availanle to the highest ranked nations league group winners.
All the 'A' league winners are probably going to qualify or get a play off place for the world cup via the usual qualifying group process.
That then means the two playoff places go to the next tier i.e. our tier. We now only get the chance to qualify if we top our qualifying group or via the playoffs if we finish second. If we finish below that and we had topped our nation's league group we'd have more than likely had one of the two remaining playoff places awarded the the nations league. That's why Wales are virtually guaranteed a playoff place.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Why is it every other country in the world manages to produce at least on player with “great feet” as commentators call it? Israel have at least 2 in Solomon & Natcho. That one player with the ability to produce one moment of magic to unlock a defence or score a goal?

Hard work and determination will only get you so far, you need someone with that little extra something which we haven’t had since Kenny Dalglish.

The last two games have cried out for a little piece of skill just to create something out of nothing!
Callum mc Gregor, ryan christie, Kieran Tierney, theres 3

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Hmmm. Good players, yes. Maybe they can 'unlock' defences in Scotland but they're not what I'd call skillful and having quick feet. More pace and passing. Or at least they haven't really shown it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I like the concept of the nations cup for the smaller nations and by seeding them into A, B, C etc they are trying to give sides a competitive match against a similar standard side and therefore a chance to progress. If there are routes into the main events as a result then surely it adds some extra credibility

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Celtic fan by any chance?

Your living in a dream world if you think any of them are fit to lace Dalglish’s boots!

Tierney is a very good player and the other two are good players but they certainly don’t possess the skills necessary at the very top level to pick out a defence splitting pass or a piece of magic to score a goal through their own individual talent!

Do you believe any of them would have taken Israel’s goal as well as Solomon did?

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
I was thinking about the last player we had with quick feet. I think it was Pat Nevin and he wasn't really up to playing at a high level. Could turn it on against the 'wee teams' but when the big boys came to town he went missing. He did have really quick feet though.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Celtic fan by any chance?

Your living in a dream world if you think any of them are fit to lace Dalglish’s boots!

Tierney is a very good player and the other two are good players but they certainly don’t possess the skills necessary at the very top level to pick out a defence splitting pass or a piece of magic to score a goal through their own individual talent!

Do you believe any of them would have taken Israel’s goal as well as Solomon did?
aye I think christie and McGregor would and could do the same,
You said Scotland dont produce players like Solomon & Natcho that can unlock defences I say there is a few players in our squad who can unlock defences and score a goal

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
aye I think christie and McGregor would and could do the same,
You said Scotland dont produce players like Solomon & Natcho that can unlock defences I say there is a few players in our squad who can unlock defences and score a goal

When, at international level, are we going to see it then?

We’ve seen a lot of so called “lesser nations” in recent times and they all have at least one player you fear for next time you play them as they stand out as being very skilful and clever.

Don’t get me wrong, we have came on leaps and bounds in recent times especially defensively but yet we still fail to create chances regularly and you don’t win games without scoring goals!!