Review Big Max Dri-Lite 7

Mandofred

Visit site
Just got it today, looks about what I was after. At this point, other than it being a little heavier that stated I think it was £80 well spent. Hopefully be trying it out next week.

*I've not owned/tried a carry bag before. Last time I carried a bag was about 1973? and it was a one strap beast. So....this is not coming from a long time owner/user of carry bags.
*I believe weight quoted was 1.7k.....on my wife's kitchen scales without hood I had it at 1819 grams (just over 1.8k).
*Poured a little water on the side of the bag in a little pool and left it for 30 seconds....it just sat there. The material looks like it will keep the water out quite well. I feel that if I just left it there and came back in an hour....it would still be sitting there. I was expecting something along the lines of a athletic jacket that states it is water resistant....and "kind of" is.
*Straps didn't amaze me. Feels like there might be a strap down the pad that is about 2/3 of the pad size with a bit of padding out from that. When I put the clubs etc in, the straps were a bit too far to the ends of the shoulders...but that could easily be something I can adjust closer to the neck....I'll have to play with that to see if it fits better. I haven't used a carry bag, so I need to fiddle with it.
*Wallet pocket. Narrow opening but does go down a fair ways and I would have no trouble putting my phone/wallet/keys in it with room left over. It's got the fuzzy lining. I might just keep that stuff in the car instead of filling the bag up.
*Bigger side pocket. Big enough for my Ping rain jacket and bottoms. I'll probably throw a few candy bars at the bottom as well. I am not expecting to get much else in there.....maybe the rain hood.
*Cool pocket. Don't really care if it is a cool pocket, but it fit a 75cl water bottle and you won't get much else in.
*Front pocket. Big enough that I put 35 balls in, anymore than that and I would have to start cramming them in. But to me, that was plenty of room. Easily could carry 6-8 balls and my little plastic container of ball marks/tees/pencils/repair tool with room left over.
*I was hoping to get 11-12 clubs in it......I got 12....barely. Remember though, I have Jumbomax x-small grips on. There should be a picture showing the difference with regular size grips. I could get all 14 with regular grips. No idea if there will be some grip/club interference. I would assume there will be a little, but it seemed ok to me.
*It looks like the 4 clubs slots go all the way down. Tried to get a picture, kind of showed it.
*The stand seems to work just fine. Something I did like was that the bag will stand upright in the garage without leaning on anything and without the legs coming out.
*Pictures comparing bags is with a Ping Pioneer.

Attachments

• Golf Bags side by side.jpg
    Golf Bags side by side.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Bags from the top.jpg
    Bags from the top.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Bag with water.jpg
    Bag with water.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Bag with 35 balls.jpg
    Bag with 35 balls.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Bag view down slot.jpg
    Bag view down slot.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Bag on stand.jpg
    Bag on stand.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Clubs standard and Jumbomax.jpg
    Clubs standard and Jumbomax.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 29

Mandofred

Visit site
Cheers for the write up.

Those are some big grips you have there!
Those are the smallest ones. I think I might just keep them. I thought I might switch back to mid-size but the longer I use them the more I like them.

I was concerned about the "water repellent" properties of the bag....but that material looked pretty dang waterproof to me. I might drop one more club out of my bag just to make it a bit lighter.

Mandofred

Visit site
I am assuming you don't carry 35 golf balls, just use them to demonstrate the scale of the pocket.
Yeah.....I was trying find a way that made sense to a golfer. If I said something like "the pocket holds 1.67liters"....I've no idea what that really is. Although....with my trolley bag....I'm one of those people who occasionally looks in the ball pocket and goes "geez!!! how many da*n balls do I have in there?"....and it's usually a LOT. But there is so much mud....I wanted to give carrying a try. We have lines maybe 20 yards in front of most greens that trolleys can't go inside......and have to go around. People who carry can just walk straight up to the green and plop their bag down. Now I just have to figure out how to adjust the straps to fit a bit better.

Mandofred

Visit site
Well done on the review - Good work.

For info there is a reviews section of the forum.
I was wondering about that.....after I posted:(. Although to give myself a slight break....murphthemog said they were wanting my opinion of the bag from my earlier post. So I'm only half a slime-ball.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Nicely done. Presuming the build quality is anything like my dri-lite hybrid 14, it'll be great. I'm super impressed and I've had it a year!

Re the clubs... You may find that whilst carrying, especially over winter you need fewer and few in the bag. I've a small Ping Hoofer Craz-e-Lite carry bag that looks similar in size to yours. I tend to take either odd/even clubs out with me - so Dr, 3H, 5/7/9, 50º, 60º or 3w, 4/6/8, pw, 56º plus putter. It's definitely good fun and makes you think a bit more.