Scottish Fitba'

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm not at all thrilled - having been an avid Scotland fan and regular Hampden-goer back in the mid-1970s to early 1980s. And yes - me and by brother were in the 30,000 in the ground when we waved Ally and the Boys off to Argentina in 1978.

But hey-ho!. I shrug - and hope.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Why twist my words from a simple statement.

I didn't say anything about a divine right. Just making the point that they are now miles away from the level of the likes of Russia, Czech Republic, Serbia etc. who are in the mix to qualify. Teams who are not contenders to win the event, but are good enough to qualify, or at least take it down to the final game.

So therefore they have more right to qualify if they have a better team.

Great argument!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
A crowd of 10k expected at Hampden for tonight against San Marino.

SFA wanting £27 for an adult to watch two dreadful teams in a dreadful stadium. £15 adult £5 weans would maybe have seen 10.5k attending!

😂

Clarke is fast becoming a clown. Findlay starting alongside Devlin in the centre of defence.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
A crowd of 10k expected at Hampden for tonight against San Marino.

SFA wanting £27 for an adult to watch two dreadful teams in a dreadful stadium. £15 adult £5 weans would maybe have seen 10.5k attending!

😂

Clarke is fast becoming a clown. Findlay starting alongside Devlin in the centre of defence.

Pricing and venue are a joke, can’t believe the SFA bought Hampden unless they have plans to knock it into a proper football stadium?

Devin is the 3rd best Scottish centre back at Aberdeen, no idea what he’s doing there!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Pricing and venue are a joke, can’t believe the SFA bought Hampden unless they have plans to knock it into a proper football stadium?

Devin is the 3rd best Scottish centre back at Aberdeen, no idea what he’s doing there!

He's a better defender than Considine (IMO) better concentration and distribution plus more defensively minded than Considine who has heart and determination but always prone to be a liability with a head off.

Devlin and McKenna would be my centre halfs at Aberdeen.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As a Jambo I would like to see Chris Houghton get the job, if we can afford him.
Great opportunity for someone, good set up, training campus, development, ground and fan base. Above all else is a decent squad of players.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As a Jambo I would like to see Chris Houghton get the job, if we can afford him.
Great opportunity for someone, good set up, training campus, development, ground and fan base. Above all else is a decent squad of players.

Hearts should quite easily be the default 3rd or 4th team in Scotland - with Aberdeen. But as Edinburgh is rather more attractive a city to live in I'd have thought Hearts should be better able to attract players on the same or similar terms as Aberdeen. But I guess that that has always been the case - but has not always been so.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Hearts should quite easily be the default 3rd or 4th team in Scotland - with Aberdeen. But as Edinburgh is rather more attractive a city to live in I'd have thought Hearts should be better able to attract players on the same or similar terms as Aberdeen. But I guess that that has always been the case - but has not always been so.

Historically yes. Now with improved infrastructure and transport links plus with Aberdeen now having state of the art training facilities and a new stadium in the wings I don't think Edinburgh will hold huge sway now.

D

Deleted member 18588

Historically yes. Now with improved infrastructure and transport links plus with Aberdeen now having state of the art training facilities and a new stadium in the wings I don't think Edinburgh will hold huge sway now.

Quality of life is one thing but the biggest factor will be money.

Managers and players will be attracted by budgets for wages and transfers.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Quality of life is one thing but the biggest factor will be money.

Managers and players will be attracted by budgets for wages and transfers.

This is true - but with Aberdeen and Edinburgh you do have quite differing 'quality of life' environments (and though they are both bleedin' cold...Aberdeen can be truly brass monkey land)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
This is true - but with Aberdeen and Edinburgh you do have quite differing 'quality of life' environments (and though they are both bleedin' cold...Aberdeen can be truly brass monkey land)

Again not as much. Edinburgh and Aberdeen both have 💩 holes and affluent areas. Not sure when you were last in Aberdeen but it's vastly improved over the last 10 years.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Gerrard seems to have got Rangers motoring again.
The worrying aspect is that in the last two years they have spent £24m of money the don't have to get there.
Now passing out the begging bowl for another £10m to get them to the end of the season.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Gerrard seems to have got Rangers motoring again.
The worrying aspect is that in the last two years they have spent £24m of money the don't have to get there.
Now passing out the begging bowl for another £10m to get them to the end of the season.

When in reality spending a quarter of that would guarantee them 2nd spot

Trouble is the fans won’t accept anything less than £1 short of all-out bankruptcy in a bid to stop 10inarow happening (and 24mil just won’t cut it)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
When in reality spending a quarter of that would guarantee them 2nd spot

Trouble is the fans won’t accept anything less than £1 short of all-out bankruptcy in a bid to stop 10inarow happening (and 24mil just won’t cut it)

Will see how close bankruptcy is when Hummel take them to court over the strip deal and how much big Mike hits them for in legal fees.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Again not as much. Edinburgh and Aberdeen both have 💩 holes and affluent areas. Not sure when you were last in Aberdeen but it's vastly improved over the last 10 years.

Well I have been - but if I listen to my brother who has lived in Aberdeen (actually in an affluent village near Westhill) for more than 30yrs I get a picture of Aberdeen that is not good - of a Union Street that is failing.

And he tells me that his current inclination is to move to Glasgow in the not too distant future now that his children have flown the nest (he's a Rangers season ticket holder and so if that move seems a mad thing to do then there is that explanation :) )