Scottish Fitba'

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good result for Celtic, undefeated after 2 games and top of their group. Not so good for Rangers, took the lead but beat 2-1 in stoppage time and all 4 teams in their group have won 1 game each, gonna be a really tight group.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Celtic were superb tonight could have and should have been 4 or 5 up topping a difficult group is always nice to see but still early yet,
Tough one for rangers losing that goal in stoppage time, still open an group home games will be key for both teams

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Celtic not so superb against Livi...and Rangers spank the Accies to go top. I'll never hear the end of it from my brother if they win the league. But I shrug. Rangers, Celtic win the league - same as it ever was.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Gerrard has done a great job with Rangers, very professional in all departments.
Surprised me a bit.
Appointing Gary McAllister as his number two was a wise move, he probably gave Gerrard book and verse about working in Scotland.

Still unsure that Celtic appointing Lennon for a second stint was a clever move.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gerrard has done a great job with Rangers, very professional in all departments.
Surprised me a bit.
Appointing Gary McAllister as his number two was a wise move, he probably gave Gerrard book and verse about working in Scotland.

Still unsure that Celtic appointing Lennon for a second stint was a clever move.

Celtic will still win the league at a canter. Gerrard has done ok, wouldn't say great considering behind Celtic (and some distance behind at that) they have spent more than pretty much all of the other teams combined, money they seemingly don't have. Gerrard finishing anything other than a clear second would be poor.
Like Gerrard, Lennon doesn't need to do much to get his side to win, the odd blip will happen (Livi) in the same way Rangers lost to Young boys.

But Celtic will still win most stuff.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
How many will Russia put past us tonight?

I'm going for 5 or 6 nil to Russia. Never seen such a dreadful Scotland squad/team in all my life.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How many will Russia put past us tonight?

I'm going for 5 or 6 nil to Russia. Never seen such a dreadful Scotland squad/team in all my life.

That was a positive result then.:love:
Agree that was a dreadful lookingl Scottish team we have about three decent players at the moment, the rest are English Championship standard at the best.
I would stick with Clarke though, he seems to know what he is doing. Just hope he can get hold of some decent players.

Some comfort that the aggregate score for recent Russian games is 61-4. ;)

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
That was a positive result then.:love:
Agree that was a dreadful lookingl Scottish team we have about three decent players at the moment, the rest are English Championship standard at the best.
I would stick with Clarke though, he seems to know what he is doing. Just hope he can get hold of some decent players.

Some comfort that the aggregate score for recent Russian games is 61-4. ;)

Didn't think Scotland were playing that badly until Russia scored two tremendous goals. Two really top class finishes. Yes we defended deeply but thought the back 4 coped fairly well until that point. The boy Palmer at right back looked for more composed than O'Donnell ever did at right back so that is surely a positive going forward. Devlin did ok in his debut against Russia.

It was a tough game but we're certainly a team in "transition". Think Clarke will get it right once he works out his best 11.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Discussing the game with my sil this morning he doesn’t think the players are that bad, but he thinks the set up is wrong and asked me where Scotland trained,I’ve no idea.

His point is England , France, Germany etc changed 10 years ago having better training facilities and getting young players training with the senior players.

Now Scotland haven’t got the money to compare with these countries but if you take Iceland for a example they have fantastic training facilities.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Discussing the game with my sil this morning he doesn’t think the players are that bad, but he thinks the set up is wrong and asked me where Scotland trained,I’ve no idea.

His point is England , France, Germany etc changed 10 years ago having better training facilities and getting young players training with the senior players.

Now Scotland haven’t got the money to compare with these countries but if you take Iceland for a example they have fantastic training facilities.

They train at Mar Hall.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Pretty depressing seeing anything about the National Team at the moment.

They played reasonably well last night until the goal went in and then, that was it.

I think I feel more hopeless now than I ever have about the side. Can't really see how we get out of this or improve. Russia are a bang average side and have absolutely taken us apart over the 2 games.

Almost impossible to see how we would get close to qualifying - even assuming we got the most favourable draw possible.

Used to be that we would always take it down to the last game, or even a play-off, but as things stand we are one of those teams making up the numbers that other sides will be looking at and saying 'that's 6 points from those games'.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Pretty depressing seeing anything about the National Team at the moment.

They played reasonably well last night until the goal went in and then, that was it.

I think I feel more hopeless now than I ever have about the side. Can't really see how we get out of this or improve. Russia are a bang average side and have absolutely taken us apart over the 2 games.

Almost impossible to see how we would get close to qualifying - even assuming we got the most favourable draw possible.

Used to be that we would always take it down to the last game, or even a play-off, but as things stand we are one of those teams making up the numbers that other sides will be looking at and saying 'that's 6 points from those games'.

Russia are a lot better than "bang average".

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Russia are a lot better than "bang average".

They are where they need to be. But ultimately their level is the bare minimum a team has to get to for qualification. Especially for a World Cup where there are only 12 or 13 European spots.

If we can't get near the Euros qualification with 21 spots available in these group stages - then we don't have a chance.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

National training facilities are important but don't also forget that these players go back to their clubs and will have very high quality training facilities in the main. I don't know the quality of the facilities at Mar Hall, thank you Jacko G, but they will only add a certain percentage of marginal gain to the team. They help but they are not the reason for the current malaise.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
They are where they need to be. But ultimately their level is the bare minimum a team has to get to for qualification. Especially for a World Cup where there are only 12 or 13 European spots.

If we can't get near the Euros qualification with 21 spots available in these group stages - then we don't have a chance.

What makes you think that Scotland has any devine right to be in the 21 spots?

We are a country with a very small population and a dreadful product being offered in our league. Scotland is at the level it's at for a number of reasons which have manifested over the years and certainly not helped at all by our corrupt set up.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
What makes you think that Scotland has any devine right to be in the 21 spots?

We are a country with a very small population and a dreadful product being offered in our league. Scotland is at the level it's at for a number of reasons which have manifested over the years and certainly not helped at all by our corrupt set up.

Why twist my words from a simple statement.

I didn't say anything about a divine right. Just making the point that they are now miles away from the level of the likes of Russia, Czech Republic, Serbia etc. who are in the mix to qualify. Teams who are not contenders to win the event, but are good enough to qualify, or at least take it down to the final game.