Scottish Fitba'

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I know - but to suggest that the same issues do not infect the main Glasgow teams is disingenuous. It may not be as visible in the stadiums these days - but it is still there.

I'm not suggesting anything of the sort. My reading of your original post is that Celtic and Rangers are the cause of incidents like this and that is untrue in my opinion.

I like to stick to the facts and the fact is it was a sectarian incident between two opposing religious factions with no connection to football as a sport, a football match or any football clubs which you were clearly suggesting and that suggestion is at best disingenuous.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm not suggesting anything of the sort. My reading of your original post is that Celtic and Rangers are the cause of incidents like this and that is untrue in my opinion.

I like to stick to the facts and the fact is it was a sectarian incident between two opposing religious factions with no connection to football as a sport, a football match or any football clubs which you were clearly suggesting and that suggestion is at best disingenuous.

Sorry - I didn't mean to suggest in any way whatsoever that the clubs were actually responsible in any way for the incident. I was simply saying that I was wondering whether Gerrard was aware of how close to the surface violent sectarian bigotry is in Glasgow outside of football - as exemplified in a larger scale than normal - by the Republican/Loyalist clashes last Friday evening.

The proximity of the clash to the OF game may well have been completely coincidental - though the possible presence in the city of supporters from NI up for the weekend and the game may have played a part? I agree that this is nothing directly to do with the clubs.

Last edited:

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry - I didn't mean to suggest in any way whatsoever that the clubs were actually responsible in any way for the incident. I was simply saying that I was wondering whether Gerrard was aware of how close to the surface violent sectarian bigotry is in Glasgow outside of football - as exemplified in a larger scale than normal - by the Republican/Loyalist clashes last Friday evening.

The proximity of the clash to the OF game may well have been completely coincidental - though the possible presence in the city of supporters from NI up for the weekend and the game may have played a part? I agree that this is nothing directly to do with the clubs.

Here's a wee summary of what's been going on, absolutely nowt to do with football.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news...roup-promise-fightback-loyalists-govan-riots/

Still no idea why you think Steven Gerrard may be interested in this at all...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
They were having Orange marches in Liverpool up to a few years ago, they may still have them. Whilst there is not the nastiness that exists in Glasgow on this issue Gerrard is not coming from a city where religion is totally alien. He will be very aware of how deep it runs in Glasgow.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They were having Orange marches in Liverpool up to a few years ago, they may still have them. Whilst there is not the nastiness that exists in Glasgow on this issue Gerrard is not coming from a city where religion is totally alien. He will be very aware of how deep it runs in Glasgow.

Yes, the lodge still march in certain areas and still go up to Southport for the day, with bands still coming from Northern Ireland and Glasgow to join them.

Maybe not as large as 20-30 years ago, but still going on. Thank God our football teams arent split down religious lines otherwise I fear that we would have exactly the same problems.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Here's a wee summary of what's been going on, absolutely nowt to do with football.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news...roup-promise-fightback-loyalists-govan-riots/

Still no idea why you think Steven Gerrard may be interested in this at all...

I KNOW the trouble last Friday had nothing to do with football and I haven't suggested for one moment that it was. I was simply reflecting upon the underlying sectarianism in Glasgow and West of Scotland that the decades since the Good Friday Agreement have failed to kill off. I had rather hoped it would have by now. And then we can reflect upon the fact that Rangers continue to get in hot water over the sectarian singing of some of their fans...

The two are not unlinked. But what can the clubs do? Not a lot I fear.

Last edited:

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I KNOW the trouble last Friday had nothing to do with football and I haven't suggested for one moment that it was. I was simply reflecting upon the underlying sectarianism in Glasgow and West of Scotland that the decades since the Good Friday Agreement have failed to kill off. I had rather hoped it would have by now. And then we can reflect upon the fact that Rangers continue to get in hot water over the sectarian singing of some of their fans...

The two are not unlinked. But what can the clubs do? Not a lot I fear.

I've still no idea why you think the manager of Rangers FC would be interested in a sectarian clash between so called Republicans and so called Loyalists.

If you want to discuss sectarianism in Scotland perhaps you could start a thread about it and leave the Scottish Football thread for discussing football matters?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I've still no idea why you think the manager of Rangers FC would be interested in a sectarian clash between so called Republicans and so called Loyalists.

If you want to discuss sectarianism in Scotland perhaps you could start a thread about it and leave the Scottish Football thread for discussing football matters?

What part of the obvious link is it your refusing to realise? Are you an employee of the Bias Football Association?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you even know what you are arguing about anymore?

I don't think YOU do...

My point, my ONLY point was objecting to SINLH's linking of last Friday night's incident to football. He specifically described it as emerging from a football stadium and went to to explain that's why he wasn't allowed to support either Celtic or Rangers.

He linked the incident to football, Friday night had nothing to do with football...

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't think YOU do...

My point, my ONLY point was objecting to SINLH's linking of last Friday night's incident to football. He specifically described it as emerging from a football stadium and went to to explain that's why he wasn't allowed to support either Celtic or Rangers.

He linked the incident to football, Friday night had nothing to do with football...

Why has it nothing to do with football when you clearly see club colours in some footage and a well known fraction is also heavily linked with the events?

The brain dead in this country just see a colour and spout vile and hatred. It's pathetic and kept alive by two teams and and a spineless organisation who refuse to do anything about it.

Jack McConnell is right (and I had/have very little time for him) it's a cancer eating away at this country.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why has it nothing to do with football when you clearly see club colours in some footage and a well known fraction is also heavily linked with the events?

The brain dead in this country just see a colour and spout vile and hatred. It's pathetic and kept alive by two teams and and a spineless organisation who refuse to do anything about it.

Jack McConnell is right (and I had/have very little time for him) it's a cancer eating away at this country.

I repeat, it had NOTHING to do with football. Feel free to disagree if you must, it's a free country...

D

Deleted member 18588

Sectarianism, like racism, is, as you say, a cancer within society.

But both these evils existed long before football.

Indeed it could be claimed by the football authorities that sectarianism is the root cause of Scottish football's problems as without it would there have been the need for Celtic and Rangers and the identity they then provided to the two sides of Glasgow.

Last edited by a moderator:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Wondering how he is enjoying the jovial banter and gay badinage between Rangers and Celtic supporters - and whether he quite realised how close to the surface sectarian bigotry tensions are in Glasgow - as we saw surface out of the football grounds Friday-last in Govan. And why he has to be very careful about what he says about Celtic and their fans.

Apologies to @ger147 I can see how my post is ambiguous and how it could me misconstrued.

I thought it was clear that I was meaning the sectarian tensions that are about Glasgow outside of the football grounds (not simply in them) - but I can see that surface out of the football grounds is ambiguous.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Scotland playing Russia this evening at Hampden - must win tbh - come on lads!

I stood enough times on the slopes of the old place and so know what it feels like to be there - so I'll be in the ground in spirit (though probably hiding behind the sofa much of the time).

I know it's dead corny of the most supreme sort - and prove the madness of supporting Scotland - but it takes me back to better times - though also to another Russia game soon to come ...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Very sad news about Ricksen - and at such a young age...such an awful disease. I lost a very good friend to it - 9months I think it was from diagnosis to the end - and he too - like Fernando Ricksen was way, way too young. Cruel.