Scottish Fitba'

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm of the opinion that Scotland, Scandinavian countries and others should walk from UEFA and start up on their own. Its clear that they're not wanted in European tournaments, the current set up means they will never ever compete.

I think that is an interesting suggestion, although I don't see it happening. The odds are stacked against so many countries and in favour of so many others, it is certainly distorted.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think that is an interesting suggestion, although I don't see it happening. The odds are stacked against so many countries and in favour of so many others, it is certainly distorted.

It was talked about 10-15 years back (they even had a name for it but cant remember) but you're right, nothing came of it at that time

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Atlantic league or similar.
If a European Super League kicked in do you see this being re-visited? I have no interest in watching a Super League, I don't watch the CL either for that matter, as I like domestic rivalry above European rivalry but a league breakaway would offer an opportunity for this to be looked at again if the appetite was there.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
If a European Super League kicked in do you see this being re-visited? I have no interest in watching a Super League, I don't watch the CL either for that matter, as I like domestic rivalry above European rivalry but a league breakaway would offer an opportunity for this to be looked at again if the appetite was there.

No idea but to quote Billy Connolly lesser teams are as welcome in European football as a fart in a spacesuit!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
You're missing the point, nobody is comparing Celtic to Bayern or Juventus just pointing out that stronger leagues than in Scotland also are encountering periods of domination by 1 club. This is the inevitable end game since the game become such a slave to, and beneficiary of in some ways, money.

The patronising comments from EPL fans always amuse me. Nobody in Scotland compares the SPL to other European leagues favourably, just accept it for what it is and enjoy it for that. If they are happy to do so then not sure why it bothers fans of the self titled "Best league in the world"?

Nail on head Iain. An air of self-promotion about that one and if it were true, you would expect the teams from this "greatest league in the world" to dominate the premier continental tournament and it's lesser sibling.
The reality is that since the inception of the premier league, finalists in the champions league AND UEFA/Europa League have been representatives of England on fewer occasions than [CL] Spain (16 finalists) and Italy (13 finalists) with England coming in third with 12 finalists in 27 years. For EL it's Spain 12 finalists, England 9 finalists and Italy 8 finalists in the same 27 years. So from 108 possible final participants (both comps), England have had a combined 21. Twenty one out of one hundred and eight opportunities. So maybe it's not as great as it's self-plaudits inform us.

In Scotland, we know what we have as a product, we deal with it in realistic terms and I think we all know that it's going to be a one horse race for the top prize with 2 plus, maybe another, interchangeable 2, jockeying for second place.

Celtic losing to Cluj is maybe a shocker to their fans but in realistic terms, it's no worse than Rangers defeats at the hands of European thoroughbreds such as Maribor NK or Progres Neiderkorn and something that can happen once you get past the first qualifying round, these teams are capable as Burnley found out after scraping through the first two rounds AET each time and then losing heavily to Olympiacos, who are hardly heavyweights these days. This is a team that finished 7th in the best league the world has ever seen.

Man United for being the dominant force in England for best part of 10 years, managed to convert that dominance on the European stage once. Just once. In fact, in that 10 year period (92-02) They were the EPL's ONLY representative in the CL final.

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nail on head Iain. An air of self-promotion about that one and if it were true, you would expect the teams from this "greatest league in the world" to dominate the premier continental tournament and it's lesser sibling.
The reality is that since the inception of the premier league, finalists in the champions league AND UEFA/Europa League have been representatives of England on fewer occasions than [CL] Spain (16 finalists) and Italy (13 finalists) with England coming in third with 12 finalists in 27 years. For EL it's Spain 12 finalists, England 9 finalists and Italy 8 finalists in the same 27 years. So from 108 possible final participants (both comps), England have had a combined 21. Twenty one out of one hundred and eight opportunities. So maybe it's not as great as it's self-plaudits inform us.

In Scotland, we know what we have as a product, we deal with it in realistic terms and I think we all know that it's going to be a one horse race for the top prize with 2 plus, maybe another, interchangeable 2, jockeying for second place.

Celtic losing to Cluj is maybe a shocker to their fans but in realistic terms, it's no worse than Rangers defeats at the hands of European thoroughbreds such as Maribor NK or Progres Neiderkorn and something that can happen once you get past the first qualifying round, these teams are capable as Burnley found out after scraping through the first two rounds AET each time and then losing heavily to Olympiacos, who are hardly heavyweights these days. This is a team that finished 7th in the best league the world has ever seen.

Man United for being the dominant force in England for best part of 10 years, managed to convert that dominance on the European stage once. Just once. In fact, in that 10 year period (92-02) They were the EPL's ONLY representative in the CL final.

Which league is the greatest league in the world?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Which league is the greatest league in the world?

Personally, I don't think there is one single one that can make that claim. They all have merits and drawbacks for me. Spain has a decently entertaining product at a technical level as did Italy once, German teams are sometimes a bit bland but get the job done. England have some very good teams but not technically a great spectacle whilst being very physical. France is a bit like Holland but with loads of money that seems to have appeared, not a great overall product to watch but the some of the teams can get the job done.

Swings and roundabouts but, for me, at the moment Spain has the best product when coupled with performance 'beyond the borders'.
All personal opinion.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Sky like to proclaim the PL as the greatest but then Sky have never been known to undersell, or keep in perspective, anything. Fans in England, on the whole, are not deluded about where the standard of the league is. There has been no European domination since the early to mid 80's, just the odd win or final.

Don't take the hype from the Sky marketing dept to be representative of the views of all football fans, we are not daft.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sky like to proclaim the PL as the greatest but then Sky have never been known to undersell, or keep in perspective, anything. Fans in England, on the whole, are not deluded about where the standard of the league is. There has been no European domination since the early to mid 80's, just the odd win or final.

Don't take the hype from the Sky marketing dept to be representative of the views of all football fans, we are not daft.

Yes, I get that and its kinda the point I was making. There are deluded fans on both sides of the border. Those that sneer on inferior product with am air of arrogance. Whilst most in Scotland accept its shite, some think Celtic and Rangers should walk in to the group stages.
My point was there are facts all over the place that prove delusion exists in the sneerers as well as the sneered at.

Possibly clumsily made point, but I was on lunch and the mac & cheese had most of my attention.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It seems to me that the people who like to belittle the standard of Scottish football are the ones who don’t actually watch it week in week out as opposed to fans of Scottish teams!

We (Scottish football fans) know what we have and where we stand in the football world and make no bones about being better than we are (apart from a good % of old firm fans that rate their teams way higher than anyone else)! We know the standard isn’t the best and never will be.

The fact is that for years teams from our wee country and I include the national side in this, actually punched way above their weight! What other country of our size can boast a team that has won the European cup, the European cup winners cup as well as runners up in these comps and has an international team that qualified, through the qualification system and not as holders or hosts, for FIVE world cups in a row?

If you don’t like Scottish football don’t watch it, simple!

But coming on here looking down your nose at it from a country with approx 10 times the population and god knows how many times the financial investment is getting very tedious!!

Oh and I’ve seen many many piss poor games in the self proclaimed “best league in the world”

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
On another note, not a Celtic fan but Ryan Christie has been superb for them since he arrived, be surprised if other teams down south aren't looking at him.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yes, I get that and its kinda the point I was making. There are deluded fans on both sides of the border. Those that sneer on inferior product with am air of arrogance. Whilst most in Scotland accept its shite, some think Celtic and Rangers should walk in to the group stages.
My point was there are facts all over the place that prove delusion exists in the sneerers as well as the sneered at.

Possibly clumsily made point, but I was on lunch and the mac & cheese had most of my attention.

Ok so this just got interesting

Are we talking the good ol' packet stuff or some home made effort?
pasta.jpg

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
That's Lucifer's own right there Alan. It was work canteen but proppa elbow macaroni in a cheese sauce with grilled cheddar on top. Stuff of dreams, not that boxed abomination.

Tough to beat a really good proper one but as with Pot Noodles I've lost count how many packets of that kraft stuff I ate over the years. That powder cheese smells just like feet :eek:

Anyway, back to the football :sneaky:.....

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tough to beat a really good proper one but as with Pot Noodles I've lost count how many packets of that kraft stuff I ate over the years. That powder cheese smells just like feet :eek:

I think the "smells like feet" bit is a nice segue back to Scottish Football...

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm interested to know what your thought pattern was behind this post. Just sounds like a condescending, almost smirking rant. Adds nothing to the thread right enough as most people in Scotland will admit that the standard of football isn't great, however it is what it is and we get on with it.

Perhaps I didn't state my point of view very well.
It seemed to me that some people were surprised by Celtic's exit, but they've generally struggled for many years due to the fact that they are just not good enough.
This is due, in my opinion, to several factors.
The money isn't there, they play in a very poor uncompetitive league and, for those reasons, just can't attract decent players.
The crowd is Celtic's biggest weapon, their best player if you like.
Their own players don't play more than a handful of tough games throughout their season and, if they happen to find a decent player, he generally heads south where there is a better quality of football and much gold!
To cap it all, their manager, again in my opinion, was shown to be sadly lacking with his team selection last night.
I was not at all surprised by the result.
My previous post was not in any way intended to be condescending and was certainly not a smirking rant.
It's not Celtic's fault, per se, they just don't stand a chance.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
On another note, not a Celtic fan but Ryan Christie has been superb for them since he arrived, be surprised if other teams down south aren't looking at him.

What?

The Ryan Christie who was rotting in the reserves/on the bench till McInnes took him on loan and developed him playing him week in week out.

Ryan Christie is a success in spite of Celtic.