Scottish Fitba'

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Undefeated for six games now, W4 D2, make it sound much better.;):love:
That has not happened since the heady days of Wee Gordon.

Seemingly that was our first ever penalty shootout.......how very Un-Scottish to win it.
At least we are now top of that list.;)
Apparently Northern Ireland have a 100% win record at shootouts after last night. But we scored all of ours ?.

4LEX

Visit site
Be great to see Scotland qualify! Did well with some key players missing, just a massive lack of quality upfront.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Getting past a football powerhouse like Israel must have everyone buzzing! :whistle:

Actually, it's worrying. We were talking about the Scotland squad while playing golf this week. One spark asked... ok how many of the Scotland team can you name? Started to struggle after 3 or 4 names. That needs to change.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Much better performance tonight. Thought Fraser was excellent and certainly adds balance. That Hamsik is a brilliant player. Was happy he went off early.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Clarke is setting them up not to get beat, which is fine, but it's a hard watch.

One shot on target in 210 minutes is pretty grim.

To be fair I'm not that bothered about the shots on target at the moment. They played quite well, moving the ball around, which was painfully absent on Thursday.
The chances will come if we just keep the ball. That said, I suspect we'll revert to type on Wednesday. We won't have a clue what to do with the ball when we have it. We can hope ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I didn’t watch the game but read that our second half performance was actually rather good and well structured. Well everything is relative I know...but hopes...

4LEX

Visit site
What's the general view on Clarke? I have to say he seems the most dour and depressing manager that's ever lived. Maybe he'll cheer up if you get to the finals!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What's the general view on Clarke? I have to say he seems the most dour and depressing manager that's ever lived. Maybe he'll cheer up if you get to the finals!
Ally MacLeod anyone? I'll have Steve Clarke thankyou - I did the Ally's Army bit - was a home-based footsoldier...and I think I'd rather keep dour and expectations sensible.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I like Clarke, no bullpoo and he gets the job done.
I watched his team beat Hearts at Rugby Park a couple of years ago.
They were very organised at the back with some good young players.
I actually enjoyed watching the professionalism of their tactics and the Hearts players building frustration.
Ex Hearts man MacDonald was their goalie and he had a good game.
Hearts missed a couple of good chances towards the end when the young Killie defenders tired.
Some may call it dour but the defenders are just as important to the team as the glory boy attackers.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Spineless, negative, boring, but he's starting to deliver so I need to give him credit for that. I'll give him credit for moving Ryan Fraser up top and off the wing as thats clearly worked a treat in the last game.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Spineless, negative, boring, but he's starting to deliver so I need to give him credit for that. I'll give him credit for moving Ryan Fraser up top and off the wing as thats clearly worked a treat in the last game.
No idea what makes you think he's 'spineless' - anyway - I'll take negative and boring if that is what is required to sort things out and have us playing iin a way that at least makes us a bit harder to beat. If by 'spineless' we imply that he's unwilling to take risks...then fine.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
He is not a very exciting person to listen to, but who cares?
He has the team getting decent results and that is what matters.
Once you know you are well organised and not leaking goals, that is the time to let your team play with more exuberance.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
John McGinn getting talked of in glowing terms by Pat Nevin this morning - verging on World Class apparently. McGinn has gone completely under my Scottish footballer radar - Billy Gilmour I'm aware of as he has received many plaudits - pity he is out injured. Add in Robertson and we're starting to a have a small core to build upon...(must stop my hopes rising...)