Scottish Fitba'

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Quintessential Scotland last night. Just when you think they have done enough to hang on to a very credible point, they concede a soft goal to lose the game. McKenna could have hoofed that cross away, instead he gets caught ball watching.
It’s sooo frustrating…our defenders need serious psychological performance training in how to cope with the mental pressures that the final 20mins, 10mins and 5mins of a game can bring.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not bad as a few were moaning about Ronaldo starting last week. Manager drops him and he still comes on and delivers.
Maybe that is his role now? An impact sub when the opposition are tiring. In the Euro's it was clear his legs have gone, he was challenging Kane for statue duties. Come on with 10mins to go, defenders are tired, gaps appear. He still has the nose for a goal, yesterdays goal was all about positioning and being between defenders.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Maybe that is his role now? An impact sub when the opposition are tiring. In the Euro's it was clear his legs have gone, he was challenging Kane for statue duties. Come on with 10mins to go, defenders are tired, gaps appear. He still has the nose for a goal, yesterdays goal was all about positioning and being between defenders.
Unfortunately the Scotland defenders had a major part to play in it also.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The expectations of some Scotland supporters is crazy.
They seem to simply ignore the fact that we are now playing in the top league.
Portugal are a top ten world team and they are moaning because we did not beat them in their own stadium.

I think Scotland played well in the last two games and were a little unfortunate not to win any points.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
The expectations of some Scotland supporters is crazy.
They seem to simply ignore the fact that we are now playing in the top league.
Portugal are a top ten world team and they are moaning because we did not beat them in their own stadium.

I think Scotland played well in the last two games and were a little unfortunate not to win any points.
Are you for real? Scotland supporters are moaning about one win in 14 games (against Gibraltar), they are complaining about a defence (and specific defenders) gifting goals, they are complaining about shipping late goals time and time again, they are complaining about playing with no plan B constantly. Not that we were unlucky against Portugal.

No one is complaining about the application of effort. But if that application of effort has no tactical system to be applied against, we get the last 12 months of football where we've beaten the might of Cyprus (15 games ago) and Gibraltar.

Expectation to beat Finland, to beat Northern Ireland, to beat a poor Poland team that AGIAN we gifted them goals - that's not crazy at all.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just saw this on Twitter. Thoughts?
View attachment 54988
Both of which the ref got wrong and had to be corrected by VAR.

Hearts one, the ball was knocked onto Scales’ arm from about a yard away, those ones used to be given (which was ridiculous) but the rules on proximity were changed this season.

Celtic one, the Hearts defender stuck both arms out to block a cross. Rank stupidly, a penalty all day long.

Fair play to Hearts though, they gave us much more of a game than your lot did 2 weeks ago.

Springveldt

Visit site
Just saw this on Twitter. Thoughts?
View attachment 54988

Last season the Scales one would have been given but VAR has been more lenient this season. It was definitely a case of "ball to hand" but I was surprised the referee changed his decision and ruled it not a penalty.

The one against Hearts was a stonewaller, defender tries to block the cross with his arm stretched out and blocks the cross with his hand. They are given every time.

Even if the scenario's had been reversed I wouldn't have a complaint with the decisions.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I watched the second half of the Dundee United v Rangers game and thought it was some of the best attacking, exciting football I have watched in a while.
United are certainly back with a bang.
Should be a good year with some attractive football to watch.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yeah, he successfully made Scotland a laughing stock with is 4-2-4-0 formation against the Czechs.
Yet when Jock Stein selected that formation for a 'must not lose' European cup tie he was considered a tactical mastermind.
Stein drew his match
Levien narrowly lost his match.
Small margins eh. :unsure:

[btw not comparing Levien to Stein other than for one game's tactical set up.]

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yet when Jock Stein selected that formation for a 'must not lose' European cup tie he was considered a tactical mastermind.
Stein drew his match
Levien narrowly lost his match.
Small margins eh. :unsure:

[btw not comparing Levien to Stein other than for one game's tactical set up.]
Unless I’m mistaken, Stein used a 4-2-4 formation that did deploy attackers using a “forward diamond” and was used extensively throughout the campaign and not just one “must not lose” game.

What Levein did was different for two reasons (and exposes your undertanding level of football). Firstly, Levein failed to deploy a striker at all, at times it moved to a solid 4-6-0 with the midfield packed out (which still failed), the second being that this was not two legged knock out football but a league situation where we were not in a “must not lose” situation of the same type, the tactical intent is vastly different.

This is why he was laughed at.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Unless I’m mistaken, Stein used a 4-2-4 formation that did deploy attackers using a “forward diamond” and was used extensively throughout the campaign and not just one “must not lose” game.

What Levein did was different for two reasons (and exposes your undertanding level of football). Firstly, Levein failed to deploy a striker at all, at times it moved to a solid 4-6-0 with the midfield packed out (which still failed), the second being that this was not two legged knock out football but a league situation where we were not in a “must not lose” situation of the same type, the tactical intent is vastly different.

This is why he was laughed at.
If I remember correctly [doubtful these days]
Stein basically played the same ultra defensive 4=6 formation, probably gave Levien the idea.
The whole of Scotland was going 'deary me [or words to that effect] he's got two centre halves playing.'