Scottish Fitba'

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I couldn't care who is top or bottom, this situation is unique. It's uncharted territory and there is no magic solution, that why you need to make a bold and decisive decision.

Extending the league is a minefield and players can ultimately refuse to play for "their" club.

Null and void doesn't work as it means sponsorship money would need to be repaid, clubs would go bust and listening to a lawyer the other day, potentially fans would have a claim for season ticket money to be reimbursed.

I agree it’s uncharted territory, I don’t know what the answer is, I’ve just got my opinion on the matter.
Im assuming there would be a few legal teams getting prepared if it does just end......

User20204

Visit site
Look at league 1, arguably 5 teams could win it.
You can’t just decide that’s it, what’s the point in having a league ‘season’.
It needs completed or you just go again for the new season.

Forfar Chairman pretty much rules out the leagues getting finished due to players being ooc or already having agreed pre contracts elsewhere. I think it's reasonable to assume that they aren't going to get completed now, unless UEFA do something and restrict players moving on (unlikely)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Fifa/UEFA have agreed to move contracts back in a uniform fashion by a month I think it was. It may be until the termination of the season, whichever league you are in. There may be other reasons why the season wont finish but players contracts should not be the sticking point.

That's been proven to be incorrect advice.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Okay. I haven't followed it that closely. I don't see it as being beyond the wit of all concerned though, not a hard one to do in a way that suits all parties
And it would have to suit all parties.
Get one player that has a lucrative contract with another club starting 1st June that doesn't want to stay at the old club and the whole thing falls apart.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Okay. I haven't followed it that closely. I don't see it as being beyond the wit of all concerned though, not a hard one to do in a way that suits all parties

I think you could ask players to stay on but couldn't force them. Then there were issues with insurance, what happens if that player got injured. Lots of scenarios.

It's an absolute mess and not an easy solution hence why I think the easiest solution is to just call it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
And it would have to suit all parties.
Get one player that has a lucrative contract with another club starting 1st June that doesn't want to stay at the old club and the whole thing falls apart.
Where there is a will........... if UEFA and fifa want it to happen, if they have a cosy chat with the key leagues and agents then it can happen.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Also... what happens to the play offs if they stop the leagues now? Do they still happen?

I believe the play offs have been cancelled already.
Brora Rangers have been awarded Highland League title, but no chance to go up this year via pyramid system.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Neil Lennon, has a short memory he was Celtic manager when they overturned Rangers 15 point lead 2012
So for him to say Celtic should be crowned champions on the basis of a 13 point lead is hypocrisy, at the time he said he never doubted Celtic could close the gap.

And it could be argued you have a short memory too, Celtic overturned this deficit before Christmas 2011 if I recall not with 8 games to go.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I'll also add that no-one at Celtic wants handed the title, they are happy to play it out whenever. I'm sure they'll be happy to extend that 13 point lead.

Very narrow minded post, yes Celtic have won the league, same as Liverpool down south, this is about sporting integrity throughout the divisions, tell Hearts fans there getting relegated with 8 games to go, would you be happy if it was the other way around?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I just have the feeling that there is serious delusion going on if anyone thinks football is going to be played before large crowds before November. Of course this means that most Scottish clubs could start playing matches against each other (exc the Big Weegie bros) sooner - plenty of room in most Scottish club grounds for 360deg 2m separation between fans to be easily accommodated :rolleyes:

ferenezejohn

Visit site
And it could be argued you have a short memory too, Celtic overturned this deficit before Christmas 2011 if I recall not with 8 games to go.
The only point I'm making is teams can be caught even with a big lead.

The voting shambles that is going on with Dundee is showing up the total incompetence of how it's run.
If the rumours are true that Dundee have been offered friendlies then that makes every one of there jobs untenable.

Obviously I don't know if these stories doing the rounds are true but I would not discount them
Taking into account the clowns running it, if they are and Dundee have changed their mind the lawyers will have a field day, let's hope it's not and they can put the whole sorry episode bed.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Was was
Very narrow minded post, yes Celtic have won the league, same as Liverpool down south, this is about sporting integrity throughout the divisions, tell Hearts fans there getting relegated with 8 games to go, would you be happy if it was the other way around?

I'm not sure what's so narrow minded about my post. I'd rather it was played to finish personally, then there is no excuses whatsoever.

As a Celtic supporter I'm not worried at all by any of it, all it is doing is delaying the one inevitable.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Indeed. I'm actually surprised they're not arguing for the season to be played to a finish when possible. Not only would it ensure no dubiety about their win it would also ensure the "sporting integrity" they once valued so highly.

Always has to be about sporting integrity, any sport without it ain't worth following IMO. Hence why I rarely follow Scottish football now, but your team is your team always.

ferenezejohn

Visit site
I've read on the Record online that the chairman of Ross County recons he could limit his crowds to 500 and keep to social distancing, he also mentioned Celtic could have a crowd of 10,000 and do likewise.
Could you imagine 10,000 or 9,000 converging at Celtic park and Ibrox and keeping social distancing, with people like that at the helm what chance has Scottish football got.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've read on the Record online that the chairman of Ross County recons he could limit his crowds to 500 and keep to social distancing, he also mentioned Celtic could have a crowd of 10,000 and do likewise.
Could you imagine 10,000 or 9,000 converging at Celtic park and Ibrox and keeping social distancing, with people like that at the helm what chance has Scottish football got.
I would imagine the reduction of 'home' penalties awarded to Rangers and Celtic will be reduced quite a bit under those rules.;)