Scottish Fitba'

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Actually for the last home game - against Killie - the attendance was just under 4000. Not bad I thought given the population of Perth is under 50,000 (so could all easily fit in both Ibrox or Parhead)…btw the t/o figure of 2m was most recent, more typically it’s 3.5-4m…riches.

And the perspective check on crowd size. When St Johnstone played Dundee Utd in the 2014 Scottish Cup Final there were an estimated 15,000 StJohnstone supporters in the crowd…me, my lad and my mum were just three ?. That was the largest St Johnstone support at any match ever and anywhere in the history of the club.
It was the same when St.Mirren won the cup. But, they were like snow off a dyke.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
VAR handball decisions getting absolutely ridiculous. Dundee Utd sling a cross in, goes over the head of the Celtic full back. Dundee Utd striker gets a header in, it hits the arm of the Celtic full back who has his back to the play and is totally oblivious.

Ref plays on, VAR ref gets him to look at. Decision- penalty and a booking for the full back!

Unbelievably bad decision, a total joke.

Ian_George

Visit site
VAR handball decisions getting absolutely ridiculous. Dundee Utd sling a cross in, goes over the head of the Celtic full back. Dundee Utd striker gets a header in, it hits the arm of the Celtic full back who has his back to the play and is totally oblivious.

Ref plays on, VAR ref gets him to look at. Decision- penalty and a booking for the full back!

Unbelievably bad decision, a total joke.
Not seen it, but I would suspect it was awarded because of the (2021-22 change) ruling that the arm was in an 'un-natural' position - making the player's body bigger.

Edit: If it's this one, then VAR intervention and subsequent decision change was correct - as per the above 'unnatural position' aspect!
https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/sport/football/celtic-dundee-united-var-decisions-28416943

Last edited:

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
VAR takes far to long. Had to leave the game early anyway because of the rail strike but two VAR checks took 4 minutes, ended up missing half the goals. Should be quicker.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not seen it, but I would suspect it was awarded because of the (2021-22 change) ruling that the arm was in an 'un-natural' position - making the player's body bigger.

Edit: If it's this one, then VAR intervention and subsequent decision change was correct - as per the above 'unnatural position' aspect!
https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/sport/football/celtic-dundee-united-var-decisions-28416943

His body wasn’t in an unnatural position- he jumped for the ball so had his arms out, it went over his head and was headed against him with his back to the ball.

Bad enough decision, but to then book him for something he knew nothing about was ridiculous.

Ian_George

Visit site
His body wasn’t in an unnatural position- he jumped for the ball so had his arms out, it went over his head and was headed against him with his back to the ball.

Bad enough decision, but to then book him for something he knew nothing about was ridiculous.
According to the rules (actually Laws), he was in an 'unnatural position' (made body bigger than natural)! I agree that booking was unfortunate, but presume that's compulsory. So, if you want to blame anything for a bizarre decision, it's Football's Laws that are 'to blame', not VAR!

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
According to the rules (actually Laws), he was in an 'unnatural position' (made body bigger than natural)! I agree that booking was unfortunate, but presume that's compulsory. So, if you want to blame anything for a bizarre decision, it's Football's Laws that are 'to blame', not VAR!
Jumping to head a ball with your arms by your side is unnatural. No one does that. The booking is not compulsory either. We had two penalties given against us for handball in midweek. Both were very soft, however the one which looked more "unnatural", the defender didn't get booked. The one which hit the player point blank, he did get booked!

Ian_George

Visit site
Jumping to head a ball with your arms by your side is unnatural. No one does that. The booking is not compulsory either. We had two penalties given against us for handball in midweek. Both were very soft, however the one which looked more "unnatural", the defender didn't get booked. The one which hit the player point blank, he did get booked!
According to the rules (actually Laws), he was in an 'unnatural position' (made body bigger than natural)! I agree that booking was unfortunate, maybe being so close to the goal deemed to warrant it. But, if you want to blame anything for a bizarre decision, it's Football's Laws that are 'to blame', not VAR!

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I hear Rangers will "only" get about 13 million. Celtic will get a little more for their 2 draws.

I really thought Celtic would have been 3rd at worst in that group but knew Rangers had zero chance.

Celtic had the chances to be second never mind third but fine margins at that level mean chances need to be taken or you pay the price, as Celtic found out. Celtic should have beaten Shatkthar home and away and at least beaten Leipzig at home such was the chances created but the didn't and now learn lessons and move on.

I've said it for years, getting to the CL groups is the goal for nothing Celtic and Rangers with anything else a bonus. The reality is our levels are the Europa League.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If I were a different person I might just allow myself a wee gloat! But I’ll suffice with noting that that’s our first home win over Rangers since 2010; three wins in a row takes us to 5th (a mad league); what did I say about Nicky Clark and Stevie May…??. And btw - not a bad strike for Saintees first goal and neat flick for 2nd…COYS!!! ?????????????????

Last edited: