Sawgrass a 5th major... I dont think so

knottynoonoo

Hacker
Visit site
There's talk that the TPC at Sawgrass should become the 5th major. I dont think so. I dont dispute that Sawgrass is a great tournament or venue and that tiger is the best golfer is the world at the moment, but why make it any easier for Tiger to beat Jacks record of major wins. Additionally if there was to be another major added to the list why should it be in America. My thoughts are that the list of majors should be kept at 4 and that the US PGA should be removed from the list, leaving The Masters, The open , the US open another tournament outside of the USA, but not mainland europe, Maybe the far east or Australia.
Does anyone know who would actually make the decision as to whether a tournament becomes a major??
Anyone any thoughts !!
Knottynoonoo

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Historically, I think it has always been the players and the media who have had the ultimate say on whether an event is coined as a "major", not the R & A or USGA. Let's face it both of these apply to the Players nowadays, partly bacause of the depth of the field, but I agree about the US PGA Championship. It definitely comes at the bottom of the pack in my eyes and having four Majors in the U.S. would be out of order. Stick to 4 but slip the Players in instead of the PGA would be my choice.

Then again, wouldn't it be terrible to have 2 majors with the same host course every year. Unfair if they don't suit your game. Some guys will never win the Masters because of Augusta National

B

birdieman

We dont need another major, 4 is plenty. British, US and Masters are unquestionable majors. I dont think we can change the USPGA now it's been there as a major so long now though it's probably the least glamourous of the 4. I dont think it's had the calibre of winners that the other majors have.
They should've made an Australian Open a major 50 years ago but it's too late now, leave things alone to preserve major records and make comparisons in future.
Tennis has a better spread of majors -Australian, French, US and Wimbledon.

Golfer2112

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sawgrass is a great course and the Players Championship is a great tourney but the world doesn't need another major, especially another american one and one that is at the same venue each year.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the TPC an invitational, not an open. We don't need anymore invites only majors, one is enough. The two opens, one invitational, and one comp solely for the pros covers all the bases, what would the TPC bring that is different.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The only advantage of the TPC becomming a major would be to get it back on Sky, where I can watch it. Had no interest in it as a comp this year, as I couldn't watch it on the telly. Pointless.