Half way through the Florida swing...I just love it!

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's like an amuse-bouche for the major season and for me always brings excitement ahead of the main events. This weekend's TPC Sawgrass is my favorite tournament outside the majors and hopefully Rory can retain his title which leads me on to a couple of things...

• Big fan of Rory and really enjoy watching him play but it's getting to be a bit of an emotional roller coaster of late. World number 1 and all that but can't help feeling the API title was there for the taking with his distance but once again something gave and it slipped away.

• Tyrell Hatton-a bit classless and lacking grace or am I wrong?

• And finally, to the biggest annoyance in watching golf on sky other than the almost constant ad breaks. Of course I am referring to the dullest of dullards Mark Roe. I cant decide whether it's his monotonous tone or just the moronic chat he comes out with but I cant believe he's one of the most talented sky can come up with.
...flame away!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23270

I don't watch too much golf these days, what did Hatton do that was classless?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I too am enjoying the televised golf of late. I find the Sky presentation to be excellent. Those who find it a problem must be young - not able to remember golf on BBC years ago, when all you saw was putting on the last four greens, then they progressed to last nine holes of theMasters .And if the game went past the schedule broadcast time, then tough! You didn't see the finish, or it might be shown on a later date , or if lucky, on a different channel!
Now, it's brilliant. Even with ads( just mute the sound etc), the analysis et al is great if you like golf.
Roe isn't too bad, he does have to find a lot to say cos there's a lot of time to fill.
I used to find football exciting, but now with all the cheating and weak refereeing, I barely watch. Televised golf I find exciting, especially play offs.

NearHull

Visit site
I am hooked on watching tv golf over the weekend, well to be honest, Thursday through to Sunday. I just put it on record and start watching the recording an hour or so after the programme starts. I speed through all the adverts and, apart from the first 5 minutes review at the beginning of each programme, I speed through all the interviews.
I find the interviews both on course, and post round, are repetitive and dull. None of the pros seem to be add anything other than ‘its tough out there’ etc.
However I do enjoy the Sky commentary, though Mark Roe is dull. Rich Beem is the highlight, seems to be a modest American golfer - a rare find. I must admit to being pleased if Tiger doesn’t play, whilst he is undoubtedly a great player the tv producers are overly obsessed with him.
i also find placing a few small £2 each way bets adds to the enjoyment, particularly when I had Hatton and Leishman this weekend. Looking forward to Sawgrass.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am hooked on watching tv golf over the weekend, well to be honest, Thursday through to Sunday. I just put it on record and start watching the recording an hour or so after the programme starts. I speed through all the adverts and, apart from the first 5 minutes review at the beginning of each programme, I speed through all the interviews.
I find the interviews both on course, and post round, are repetitive and dull. None of the pros seem to be add anything other than ‘its tough out there’ etc.
However I do enjoy the Sky commentary, though Mark Roe is dull. Rich Beem is the highlight, seems to be a modest American golfer - a rare find. I must admit to being pleased if Tiger doesn’t play, whilst he is undoubtedly a great player the tv producers are overly obsessed with him.
i also find placing a few small £2 each way bets adds to the enjoyment, particularly when I had Hatton and Leishman this weekend. Looking forward to Sawgrass.

I record the golf and I think on Sunday started watching at 7:30 two hours after Rory had teed off. Never caught up to real time but zipped through all the drivel.

Last edited:

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I tend to watch the most golf in this early season Feb March time. Nights are dark, weather often pants, nice distraction.

ferenezejohn

Visit site
I'm an ardent follower of golf on Sky, wasn't to sure about Radar but he has grown on me.
Hattons victory was well merited he held it together over the closing holes.
He's had some temperament issues but is overcoming them, whether one sees that as classless is a matter of opinion.
To me Rory still needs to improve his putting that has cost him over the last few weeks although I admit the greens were very tricky.
I also hope Jordan Spieth can get his head sorted out he's got too much talent not to.
Hard in my opinion to pick a winner these days so many great players on tour.

Diamond

Visit site
New to golf. This is my first proper year playing and watching. I have a season ticket for a football club in the premier league had enough of VAR. I won’t renew.
Sky coverage is good with the yank and radar. I don’t like roe as I find him dull, mainly his voice. Just my opinion Others may love his voice and be able to sleep like a baby listening to his dulcet tones.
The young lady with the blond hair is decent and I like the cut of her jib and she has a lovely shape.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
New to golf. This is my first proper year playing and watching. I have a season ticket for a football club in the premier league had enough of VAR. I won’t renew.
Sky coverage is good with the yank and radar. I don’t like roe as I find him dull, mainly his voice. Just my opinion Others may love his voice and be able to sleep like a baby listening to his dulcet tones.
The young lady with the blond hair is decent and I like the cut of her jib and she has a lovely shape.
Mark Roe is just awful as a commentator isnt he, really dont see what sky see in him as he's been there a few years now. They used to have monty there who I did much prefer to roe, it's a shame Butch retired last year as he was tv quality. Sky need to go shopping for a more interesting character to replace the dull one

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Enjoy this element of the season too - I reckon it's the excitement of knowing the golf season is nearly here.

I would say on Rory, he's putting himself in position and could win more but you need to remember no player (bar Tiger) wins that often. 6 or so over the last 12 months is a fairly phenomenal strike rate so he's going to slip on some. For me, he didn't throw API away, just very tough course particularly with winds which I don't think always favour the long hitters as harder to control perhaps. I'd also saying having just watched his full press conference at The Players that he comes across better and better each year - found it genuinely enjoyable to listen too.

Tyrell I understand why some don't like him. A couple of the signs in the direction of the water are probably not needed but hardly seismic events last week. I think suggestion he lacks grace is a bit harsh, he just shows his emotions a bit more than others personally and I also think at times he brings a bit of fun. I liked his comment after hitting a tough wedge in without applause of "tough crowd, that was one of my best" as it conveys how difficult certain shots are. I don't recall he's done anything offensive or out of order except show frustration and occasionally swear.

Roe I don't really pick up that much when I'm listening so won't comment.

sunshine

Visit site
Hatton is petulant (becoming less so), but funny and entertaining. His humour is actually very dry and self deprecating. Golf would be boring if everyone was as polished as Rose.

January - May, it's really only worth watching the US golf, especially given the time zone difference for the UK. PGA Tour has better fields and grandstands with spectators who actually watch the golf (even if there's always a few drunk obnoxious rednecks). European tour at the moment just soulless procession of indiscernible desert golf played out on empty courses. Looked like the final round on Sunday was played out in front of a couple of goat herders who had wandered in by accident in search of greener grass. Not a good look, ammunition for Azinger.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Mark Roe is killing Sky Golf. He is absolutely horrendous at his job. His monotone voice and endless drivel really is embarrassing. I understand that the rest of the World get Dougie Donnelly on Sky Sports Golf yet we're left listening to the human equivalent of dragging nails down a chalkboard.

I don't actually watch much golf now and I think it's all down to the personnel that Sky employ.

That said I do like Andrew Coltart and Nick Daugherty. They should be the anchor team. Both knowledgeable, both still in touch with the tour and easier to listen to. Laura Davies is also pretty decent when they bring her in.

sunshine

Visit site
I like al the sky golf team, except Roe. McGinley is a bit annoying but they only bring him in for the odd tournament so that's ok, don't think I could tolerate him week in week out.

The worst sound in golf is Roe commentating on Tiger. Sickening.

Visit site
I don't mind any of them. I DO think that Nick Dougherty has grown in stature. I can listen to Mark Roe, and I'm surprised how many don't like him.I ALWAYS watch when Tiger is playing, I feel that to watch the greatest golfer of modern times playing, is a privilege.
Rich Beem knows his stuff, as does Radar. I would rather have knowledgeable and talented golfers commentating, so I reckon what's on Sky is pretty good to be honest. Advert breaks......make a cuppa!

sunshine

Visit site
Love watching Tiger - pure box office. It's just better without Roe's sycophantic drooling over every single thing he does.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I read he's pulled out of The Players due to back problems...
Really dont think anybody has stated it's a problem, more so him being a little stiff and getting the rest in before the season gets really busy. Hes got a couple of seasons under his belt now after surgery and is probably in a better position to judge how he's going to maximize his effectiveness out on tour, so I think its probably the new normal for tiger to skip events youd have seen him play in the past.