LIV Golf

Swango1980

Visit site
Enjoying the Canadian Open thus far. Some quality golf.

Watching this makes me realise that I'm not personally a fan of shotgun starts. I don't really buy the "we get to watch more golf with shotgun starts". In yesterday's final round, the footage generally focuses on the leading players. No one really cares about the players that are miles off, so we only need to see them if they do something genuinely spectacular. With a normal draw, same thing. It generally focuses on the last 2 or 3 groups. So, we have plenty of golf to watch pretty much to the end of the round anyway.

What I like about normal starts is you get to really know the course better. You see early groups play signature holes. Maybe the 2nd is a driveable par 4. 12th an exciting par 5. 15th a tricky par 4 that can catch people out. You then look forward to the leading groups coming to these holes and seeing how those players get on. With shotgun start, the players are all over the course, and I struggle to get my head around what holes they are on, and what ones are coming up. Whether they have an easy or hard run of holes compared to others.

And, from a practical point of view, shotgun start limits the field. Even if the top players in world filled every slot, you still remove the possibility of players just a bit further down the rankings having a good week and getting in the mix.

evemccc

Visit site
Other sports don't bang on about the money in the commentary. We don't hear in every game what Salah is earning per weak, or what bonus for goals City pays Debruyne, what the rugby team gets if they win the six nations, or what Nadal gets if he wins this match. We know they are well paid. But the sporting narrative is enough, without the financials.
But the money is all LIV has. As sport, it is a pauper. So they have to push this point all the time. NOT like other sports.

Errr…yeah they do…if you follow cricket one of the first things reported is how much player XYZ went for in the IPL Auction

The IPL has totally changed cricket. IMO - on balance - in many ways not for the better, but, it’s impact over the rest of cricket is undeniable

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
For those who were watching the RBC on Sky did they show the Nantz 'interview' with Jay Monahan?

Perhaps understandably, seemed a pretty well choreographed kicking of the recent events and further warning shots. Interesting times ?

D

Deleted member 21445

Yes it was the first LIV event, but the quality of golf and overall product is second rate compared to the Canadian Open.

Hmmm comparing a 1st event to an established PGA Tour event is hardly fair.
It won't be 2nd rate if more and more of the top players move across.

I honestly think the next Portland event will see a vastly improved field.

Liv will only be fully judged probably after all this seasons events or maybe even 2 seasons to see how the pro golfing map is looking..

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Hmmm comparing a 1st event to an established PGA Tour event is hardly fair.
It won't be 2nd rate if more and more of the top players move across.

I honestly think the next Portland event will see a vastly improved field.

Liv will only be fully judged probably after all this seasons events or maybe even 2 seasons to see how the pro golfing map is looking..

They are going to need a lot more players to jump before the next event to get a vast improvement.
Bryson is box office, but injured. Reed is decent but not exactly on top form and is as likeable as a dose of the clap, and Perez doesn’t improve the field much at all.

How much have they spent so far? $4billion? I’d except a decent product from the off for that kind of investment. It’s a long long way from what is currently going on in Canada.

AussieKB

Visit site
No. Because it wasnt a real golf tournament. Very low field quality (same reason that I dont normally watch the European tour). And the title is worthless. Canadian Open alternative is the genuine article.

But to be clear though, I have no issue on the moral point. If the worlds top golfers are all there, I will be watching it. Hopefully at that point, LIV will ditch the circus elements, and make it about world level individual competitive golf again. And on real TV, not a platform for skateboarding monkeys and hilarious clips of kids falling off a school play stage or whatever.
Maybe if the Euro Team let the LIV players in it might be worth watching for you again.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
The crowds were nowhere near the level of the as an example the British Masters at both Woburn and the Grove.

People went to the Centurion as it was a freebie and I suspect most were already golf fans

Then later in the evening they had a concert which someone highlights as “growing the game” but they were mainly freebies once again and people who arrived after the golf

So at the end of the day it’s prob not “grown the game” - it’s made a good number of golfers richer regardless of how they played and it was just 54 holes instead of 72.

Did you drive to go and watch it ?

There appears to be from a section this desire to make a short sharp format - it’s been tried with a few events and not worked , the players are only going to these events because they are being paid handsomely. At some point they will stop paying those vast amounts and it will prob end up a Euro Pro level event.

The only way it moves forward successfully is if they get those cream of the game right now whose career is on the up , do that and people will notice the events more for the golfers as opposed to the money being paid

Didnt see anyone arriving after the golf finished! Not sure where you got that from but the car parks were emptying, not filling back up. I left before the show.. didnt even start till 9.15pm!!

Ive never attended a golf event before, this was my first and I am now highly likely to attend another event as the whole thing was first class.

Highly likely to purchase a ticket again for next year after such a good day on Saturday

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Didnt see anyone arriving after the golf finished! Not sure where you got that from but the car parks were emptying, not filling back up. I left before the show.. didnt even start till 9.15pm!!

Ive never attended a golf event before, this was my first and I am now highly likely to attend another event as the whole thing was first class.

Highly likely to purchase a ticket again for next year after such a good day on Saturday

So it's almost like a grew the game?

Glad you enjoyed it

I loved my 2 trips to the british masters and the open was special

Last edited:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
So it's almost like a grew the game?

Glad you enjoyed it

I loved my 2 trips to the masters and the open was special

Well Id happily pay £70+ for a ticket to any high level golf event in the future so Id say thats a success in drawing me in?

Youre a lucky man! How does someone even go about getting masters tickets!?!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well Id happily pay £70+ for a ticket to any high level golf event in the future so Id say thats a success in drawing me in?

Youre a lucky man! How does someone even go about getting masters tickets!?!

I typed too quickly. BRITISH masters lol .. proper sounds a let down now... but i got a fist pump off poults before everyone turned on him

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I typed too quickly. BRITISH masters lol .. proper sounds a let down now... but i got a fist pump off poults before everyone turned on him

Not quite the same :ROFLMAO: Still a great event though

I got a fist bump off DJ on sat as he walked to his final hole! Its class!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not quite the same :ROFLMAO: Still a great event though

I got a fist bump off DJ on sat as he walked to his final hole! Its class!

I mean this was the first event. Obviously they will learn from bits

I think the ticketing was stupid £20 most or free get the interest in

I had tickets for the BMW at Wentworth that was £20 but covid got that cancelled that year .. good price I think

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I mean this was the first event. Obviously they will learn from bits

I think the ticketing was stupid £20 most or free get the interest in

I had tickets for the BMW at Wentworth that was £20 but covid got that cancelled that year .. good price I think
I'm going to the Scottish Open this year. Plenty of big names will be there, £30 a ticket by the time you add booking fees in. That is great value and pitched about right I'd say.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'm going to the Scottish Open this year. Plenty of big names will be there, £30 a ticket by the time you add booking fees in. That is great value and pitched about right I'd say.

Hope you enjoy. I heard they're giving away free tickets to under 12's (obviously to get the parents in)
(LIV might do well to consider that approach, I doubt there will be any accusations of having to give tickets away etc)
It randomly irritates me that this is now a co-sanctioned event

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hope you enjoy. I heard they're giving away free tickets to under 12's (obviously to get the parents in)
(LIV might do well to consider that approach, I doubt there will be any accusations of having to give tickets away etc)
It randomly irritates me that this is now a co-sanctioned event
What does this mean?