Santa pressies done :)

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because of heavy rain our course was closed this morn, disappointment aside I decided to head to call andrew Morris golf to sort a custom fit apt for my new driver.
Apt booked I headed down, 20 quid for an hour on trackman and the range seemed canny so off I went.
Got to the shop and we got aquatinted, discussed a few bits, what I was looking etc and we headed to the range.
Hit some shots with my 7 and wedge, few of my driver to warm up, the we checked the numbers and went to look at drivers.
I had the g30 in my head but because of the numbers was told I needed a more players club, I thought here we go, I am going to try to be sold what I don't want, but I was open to ideas so we took an r15, m1, 915 and the ping., 9 deg Ls head.
My driver was hitting 260 carry with the range balls hence the idea that the ping wasn't for me, a hackers club I was told, my friend who plays off 4 recommended it so guess hackers are all handicaps lol.
Anyway, started with the 915, had a diamana stiff blue shaft, hit 4 balls and knew it didn't feel right.
Next hit the m1 430 head, hit a few bombs and some OK ones, but at 400 squiddlies and the wife's card knew i wasn't getting it !
Hit the r15 next, for me this was the best so far, not longer than the m1 but around my driver and pretty consistent good flight, but then hit a couple shockers and it didn't give me anything I don't have.
Next up was the g30 with a tour shaft, not great, but but the stock shaft and got great results, 255 carry, but it looked flighty on the range, we changed to a 10.5 head and was getting pretty good consistency so we decided that was good for now, I asked to try the tour shaft in that head as I was concerned about the ballooning. I had suggested that I could be tempted by irons too so we decided to look at those and leave the driver til the end.
As we went along I could feel that I was starting o get a better rapport with the fitter and was having a good bit craic and started to relax more.
Went to look at irons, mp15,25 and tm tp rsi with a couple shaft ops.
Hit the mp25 first after my own 7i. Was getting 165 carry off my own 7, hitting OK by now, good flight etc feeling warmed up and happy, got some juice from the shop :)
The mp25 6i was quite underwhelming really, was getting good fight, hitting good shots, but going the same as my 7.
Next hit the tm 7i, kbs shaft, same as mine, went great, floating around the same as mine, but only 2/3 yards of difference on the yardages so very consistent. Lovely flight and felt good.
Next up was the mp15, I really wanted this one! Had kbs and xp115 shafts to try, felt lovely off the face flight was similar with both shafts, really good to hit, not much difference in yards but it was a club shorter than the rsi.
Had a chat and was recommended the rsi based on numbers and they were 200 quid cheaper! But the choice was mine, hit another few balls and the got the plate out for lie etc.
We then left them and got the tour stiff shaft in the driver, hit the first one, and boom! Smashed 270 carry, soft draw, penetrating flight, thought that's nice, so hit another, and boom, same again, and it just got better! Half dozen balls later, the guy goes, sorry buddy I was going to recommend the stock stiff but I'm glad you wanted to try this again, this is the one for you. I was thinking too right, I'm in shock ha ha.
Hit another dozen balls with the irons and the Sri was just better for me, we started to pick targets and it was scarily good.
The benefit of trackman and a range was great as you really get the best of both worlds.
There was no pressure to buy, some good recs and feedback, and and good conversation, I was left to hit the remaining balls, and take it from there.
120 balls and an hour 20 of fitting, I headed in to the shop to see the damage, was given the price of 800 inc fitting and adjustments, so I had to call to see if the wife was happy to pay that and also pop my clubs in the car.
Went back in after getting the green light, to sort out payment etc, got the clubs, and driver and some nxt tour s balls for 770 all in.
After a shaky start, I have to say I was thouroughly impressed, and happy with the outcome, there was no rush and little pressure, good advice and some banter.
Pleased with what I got, just gutted I have to wait til Christmas for the driver, irons in the bag lol
Sorry about the long thread :)

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sounds like a great day James, never been to morris but I hear they are great. Any chance you can get your wife to give mine a call? Good luck with the new gear, should go great with all that Galvin Green clobber.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks buddy, they were excellent, the guy i dealt with was excellent, after the initial feeling from me that he was trying to sell, I realise my numbers just promoted other ops, but as we worked and chatted he realised it wasn't the yards I needed or workability but consistency and from there went from strength to strength. That's why I went for the irons too, I felt I got a good deal and great service so I am canny happy. Thanks mate, I say to her to give your missus a call lol, but if your for buying a Scotty then I don't think I can get her to push for more lols

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Now that's how you shop :thup:

Just be expecting Mrs JT to put you to Shame on your next shopping outing and the worst is you do not have a leg to stand on!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
£770 for Christmas from the Mrs!

Don't think the Mrs has spent that much on me in total in our 24 years together!!!!

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lol yep I'm worried OS, but I don't mind really, may as well enjoy it!
Jacko we don't really bother tbh just if we would like things, like new cameras or whatever that we need. I really wanted a driver, and to be fair I pay her car lol

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hey lump, no I don't like the way ping irons sit behind the ball, just a personal thing I think.
That's what I wanted, some thing more consistent, even on the bad ones.

Hopefully I have found it !

D

Deleted member 16999

Thanks tb, I have to wait until Santa has been before I can use them, which I am ok with, so I shall try to remember to update the profile lol
Great post, unfortunately I hope your missus makes you wait until Christmas day to have them, 😃
Will she lock them in a cupboard if they arrive early?

Last edited by a moderator:

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ha ha, not quite, but we have 3 kids so Santa is still a big part of Christmas for us, so I have to wait, they will be wrapped up so I won't be able to look :( ha ha

D

Deleted member 16999

Ha ha, not quite, but we have 3 kids so Santa is still a big part of Christmas for us, so I have to wait, they will be wrapped up so I won't be able to look :( ha ha
Brilliant, don't forget to look really surprised when you open them😃

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
fantastic xmas pressie mate ,hope you can still hit them like you did when you were fitted for them.
you hear so many stories of people not being able to hit what they were fit for after they have received them.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks mate lol
The irons are the same shaft as my own so I have no worries there, hopefully the driver still has the forgiveness I found, should do ha ha

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Didn't realise you couldn't use until Christmas, with this industry just imagine how many new models will be out by then

M2, m2s, g35, twin space ports :rofl: