Ryder Cup on TV

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone know when / if there will be highlights etc of the Ryder Cup on free to view TV at all.

I do not have Sky Sports so will be looking for highlights

To be honest i'm somewhat disappointed that it appears there is no live coverage on free to view TV, imagine if this happened to the Olympics or the World cup

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Anyone know when / if there will be highlights etc of the Ryder Cup on free to view TV at all.

To be honest i'm somewhat disappointed that it appears there is no live coverage on free to view TV, imagine if this happened to the Olympics or the World cup

Made a similar comment in another thread that with all the positive press coverage golf is currently getting it's a real shame it's not live on terrestrial TV, but they only show highlights. As it;s probably the only golf event that generates a lot of excitement as 72 hole stroke play is quite dull to watch most of the time.

But it's not a protected event like the others you mention, so will go the highest bidder. That will be Sky. Having said that radio 5 are giving it some blanket coverage, and they tend to be more up to date with what is going on.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
what about that NOW TV or whatever its called (thread here somewhere) a tenner for the box and about £9 to get all sky sports channels for a week- no brainer and not just beeb highlights

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
what about that NOW TV or whatever its called (thread here somewhere) a tenner for the box and about £9 to get all sky sports channels for a week- no brainer and not just beeb highlights

I understand there are ways round it I have a virgin box so could turn it on for a month. Personally I'm watching it at the club after a round.

For me it is a real same that one of the flagship golf events is only viewed b people willing to pay additional charges for it.

The Celtic manor cup is what first really sparked my interest in golf, I just think letting this go to Sky is golf missing a chance to get more people interested in golf

Pin-seeker

Visit site
If you really want to watch it,pay for it.
Yes it's annoying,but in this case you're getting 3 full days of viewing pleasure.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

Watch it online at wiziwig golf.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I also have a Virgin box and only really subscribe for the big events; The Masters, US Open, US PGA + The Ryder Cup. Yes it is a lot: £27 for the month this time round, but Sky do cover all sorts of golf throughout the year, so fair play to them. And they are clearly passionate enough about the golf to stump up the buying rights for it, unlike the BBC who have surrendered a lot of sporting events over the years.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I also have a Virgin box and only really subscribe for the big events; The Masters, US Open, US PGA + The Ryder Cup. Yes it is a lot: £27 for the month this time round, but Sky do cover all sorts of golf throughout the year, so fair play to them. And they are clearly passionate enough about the golf to stump up the buying rights for it, unlike the BBC who have surrendered a lot of sporting events over the years.

Not so much surrendered as been unable to compete financially in an era where (most) the sporting bodies want to go the the highest bidder to get the most cash, and there is a bidder with bucket loads of cash to spend.

So not really the BBCs fault and you need to look at the people who are selling the rights and ask what their priorities are, getting the event seen by the most people or getting the most cash.

And I would not confuse passion for the sport with trying to get as much as a monopoly as possible to get people to buy their sports packages. I'm not saying they don't do it well and they won the bid fair and square, but it's purely a business decision.

Last edited:

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The quality of Now TV is atrocious, I'm really frustrated with it and it's not even peak time viewing and it's the only way I'll be able to watch the Ryder Cup on Sat & Sun. It constantly buffers, drops connection, switches to low resolution, just about everything that's bad about streaming TV. And it's not my connection, I regularly stream using Netflix, Amazon and AppleTV all in HD absolutely flawlessly.

If it carries on through the weekend I'm going to ask for my money back.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Not so much surrendered as been unable to compete financially in an era where (most) the sporting bodies want to go the the highest bidder to get the most cash, and there is a bidder with bucket loads of cash to spend.

So not really the BBCs fault and you need to look at the people who are selling the rights and ask what their priorities are, getting the event seen by the most people or getting the most cash.

And I would not confuse passion for the sport with trying to get as much as a monopoly as possible to get people to buy their sports packages. I'm not saying they don't do it well and they won the bid fair and square, but it's purely a business decision.

Completely agree.
And I do think this is one of the reasons for golf's decline in participation numbers.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
The quality of Now TV is atrocious, I'm really frustrated with it and it's not even peak time viewing and it's the only way I'll be able to watch the Ryder Cup on Sat & Sun. It constantly buffers, drops connection, switches to low resolution, just about everything that's bad about streaming TV. And it's not my connection, I regularly stream using Netflix, Amazon and AppleTV all in HD absolutely flawlessly.

If it carries on through the weekend I'm going to ask for my money back.

What does a test on something like http://www.speedtest.net/ show for you?