Ryder Cup - Europe's Chances

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Murph isn’t a fan of Poults

You are right though - unless he is injured then Poulter will be there either as a wild card or through the qualification

It seems the one people don’t expect to make it is Fitzpatrick despite him just being behind Casey

I think Fitzpatrick will be the more consistent one until the end of the season and get into those qualifiers

Also don’t think there will be any worries about Hatton - he is going to be a feisty one and clearly can play some great golf

Did giggle at someone who suggested Rory will be a weak link :rofl:

Fitzpatrick is an interesting one. He is only really suitable for foursomes imo, probably doesn’t make enough birdies to contribute in fourball.

possibly if Stenson wasn’t able to go 36 in a day, then he could be a good shout to pair with Rose in the afternoons.

Peronally would rather see him make the team than Casey.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A few big events still to come and so still a chance for those on the fringe, and the likes of Fitzpatrick and Poulter to play some good golf and either get in by right or show they are in the right place form wise to earn a pick. Either way, I think we'll be competitive and home advantage and the crowd definitely a plus. However I think the strength in depth of the US side may be the deciding factor

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Poulter not shown enough form? 5 top 10s 1 win and a few more top 20s

Made the 1/4s In the world matchplay too

He’s in. And so he should be

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Poulter not shown enough form? 5 top 10s 1 win and a few more top 20s

Made the 1/4s In the world matchplay too

He’s in. And so he should be

Agree, you would struggle to pick 4 guys ahead of him even if you wanted to make a case not to pick Poulter.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Murph isn’t a fan of Poults

You are right though - unless he is injured then Poulter will be there either as a wild card or through the qualification

It seems the one people don’t expect to make it is Fitzpatrick despite him just being behind Casey

I think Fitzpatrick will be the more consistent one until the end of the season and get into those qualifiers

Also don’t think there will be any worries about Hatton - he is going to be a feisty one and clearly can play some great golf

Did giggle at someone who suggested Rory will be a weak link :rofl:

You say that, but if we had a 12 foot putt to win the cup, would you want Rory to be the one over it? I wouldn't.

D

Deleted member 15344

You say that, but if we had a 12 foot putt to win the cup, would you want Rory to be the one over it? I wouldn't.

I reckon he will be fine and would have no issues with him having that putt

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YOpx_26hZcI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I reckon he will be fine and would have no issues with him having that putt

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YOpx_26hZcI&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Because you saw him hole this one putt before? With relatively no break? From two years ago? Against all the evidence of his poor putting over the last few years? Yeah he'll be fine.

D

Deleted member 15344

Because you saw him hole this one putt before? With relatively no break? From two years ago? Against all the evidence of his poor putting over the last few years? Yeah he'll be fine.

Shall I put the eagle putt up from Sunday ? Or the multiple amount of other putts he has sunk

Do you spend your whole life just looking at the negative - McIlroy misses putts and he holes putts - he has stood up when it counts in the Ryder Cup and if he had a putt to win it then I have no doubt it 9/10 hit the hole

You could pick anyone from the European team and highlight many putts they have missed because generally pros miss more than they get , even with the US team you can highlight multiple players with issues but history has shown that when it comes to the Ryder Cup all bets are off - players on form have mares , players struggling come to the fore - what someone misses on a tour event is irrelevant

McIlroy will be along with Rose and Rahm then go to guys - the players that Bjorn will have as his strong player to pair with someone

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shall I put the eagle putt up from Sunday ? Or the multiple amount of other putts he has sunk

Do you spend your whole life just looking at the negative - McIlroy misses putts and he holes putts - he has stood up when it counts in the Ryder Cup and if he had a putt to win it then I have no doubt it 9/10 hit the hole

You could pick anyone from the European team and highlight many putts they have missed because generally pros miss more than they get , even with the US team you can highlight multiple players with issues but history has shown that when it comes to the Ryder Cup all bets are off - players on form have mares , players struggling come to the fore - what someone misses on a tour event is irrelevant

McIlroy will be along with Rose and Rahm then go to guys - the players that Bjorn will have as his strong player to pair with someone
I expect a pro golfer to hole a few putts mate. We're talking about higher standards than that here though.

I'm not saying he's the weakest link in the team, he clearly won't be. But it's also not laughable for someone to think he is, since his putting obviously isn't the best, and he's also prone to a final day collapse.

As I said earlier, the only guy of the top 8 at the minute that I think could let us down is Hatton. Seems to lose his head too easily.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I expect a pro golfer to hole a few putts mate. We're talking about higher standards than that here though.

I'm not saying he's the weakest link in the team, he clearly won't be. But it's also not laughable for someone to think he is, since his putting obviously isn't the best, and he's also prone to a final day collapse.

As I said earlier, the only guy of the top 8 at the minute that I think could let us down is Hatton. Seems to lose his head too easily.

I would say thinking Rory is the weakest link is laughable.

OK his putting is not the best of the best but it is hardly poor, he finished T2 in the Open. You could say, oh yeah if he holed more putts he would have won but so would anyone! People think that pro's hole everything but that is just what they see on TV.

I would back Rory sinking a 12 footer as much as I would anyone else. A 12 footer is not a gimmie for anyone.

If you have watched Rory putting, it is not as if he is hitting bad putts, a lot of them scrape by the hole and each putt he is trying to hole them and as a result some will scoot by a few foot. On the hole, Rory has had a decent season this year, I don't think anyone can deny it. Obviously he would like to win more (who wouldn't) but golf is tough and very competitive at the moment.

Going back to the Masters, Rory admitted himself that after missing that Eagle putt early on Sunday his head was gone. That is something he will learn from but does not mean he is a bad putter. The pressure of finally getting the grand slam obviously got the better of him and I fully expect him to come back and win the Masters in the next few years.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I would say thinking Rory is the weakest link is laughable.

OK his putting is not the best of the best but it is hardly poor, he finished T2 in the Open. You could say, oh yeah if he holed more putts he would have won but so would anyone! People think that pro's hole everything but that is just what they see on TV.

I would back Rory sinking a 12 footer as much as I would anyone else. A 12 footer is not a gimmie for anyone.

If you have watched Rory putting, it is not as if he is hitting bad putts, a lot of them scrape by the hole and each putt he is trying to hole them and as a result some will scoot by a few foot. On the hole, Rory has had a decent season this year, I don't think anyone can deny it. Obviously he would like to win more (who wouldn't) but golf is tough and very competitive at the moment.

Going back to the Masters, Rory admitted himself that after missing that Eagle putt early on Sunday his head was gone. That is something he will learn from but does not mean he is a bad putter. The pressure of finally getting the grand slam obviously got the better of him and I fully expect him to come back and win the Masters in the next few years.

To qualify my opinion from earlier, it’s the difference between what he’s capable of that could be a problem with Rory

According to many when he’s ‘on’ he’s untouchable/no-one can stay with him, so take that and then measure the gap to the issues with approach short irons (and putter) we’ve all seen in recent months

I’ll go out on a limb and say the difference between the two is exactly why he could be a weak link, because I don’t think any other qualifier has a negative performance gap to this extent in their game right now

You have to measure him differently to say Fleetwood for example, simply because he’s capable of being untouchable, therefore making Rory a potential weak link if he often can’t get an approach short iron closer than 30’ (which is hardly untouchable)

Hopefully he gets it sorted before Sept and it’s a moot point anyway

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
A 6 foot putt to win the Ryder cup I fancy Mcilroy over Spieth any day.

I agree. Spieth seems to hole more monster putts than anyone when he’s on a run. If you look back at his major wins they all contain multiple outrageous putts. Putts like that aren’t something anyone can expect though. His putting at expected range doesn’t seem any better than anyone else’s.

For me, the issue with Rory is as someone pointier our earlier, he putts aggressively and when he’s having a bad day he brings the 3 putt into it as he races quite a few passed. Imo he’s a little like Westwood. Generally his putting stats are ok but it’s certainky not the part of his game you’d pick as his stand out.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Rory’s putting could be better.

He he definitely doesn’t hole his fair share and can get on a run of missing too many short putts that really a top pro has to make almost all the time.

Personally think he he has improved throughout the season & doesn’t seem to miss as many short putts that have derailed rounds of his before.

i think things have developed well for him this season & can see him having a big finish to the season. He is always particularly focussed for the Ryder cup.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm feeling surprisingly chipper about this. With a bit of an optomistic slant, the US team is shaping up to be a bit pants :

good :
DJ, Brooks

All the rest are flawed in some way, some more than others :

Decent, but not in great form :
Ricky, JT, Reid

Yippy :
JS

Flakey as anything :
Bubba, Bryson

Shankapotamous :
Webb

Has beens :
Tiger, Phil

Only good at ping pong
Kooch

So just need to slip a bit of lasagne to the top two and we're home 'n hosed....

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Absolutely spot on re Rory. His approach to the last at the Open summed up how poor his short game is. Absolutely nailed a drive (3 wood from memory) with the commentators saying how it was longer than Rose's driver.

He then played an absolutely horrendous approach **** to outside of 20 feet when a birdie would have given him the clubhouse lead and set a real target.

Rose knocked it close, Molinari stiffed it, woods also. Rory was one of the worst shots I've seen from such a class golfer.