Ryder Cup - Europe's Chances

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Looking at the crop of young US players emerging from their 'college' system I wondered what Europe has to offer.

Not sure 'our' top players have the motivation that the old guard of Poulter etc possessed.

So at the moment I'm not hopefully of a win.

D

Deleted member 15344

Have lost count the amount of times Europe were going to get thumped based on the relative levels of each team and every time especially at Home Europe the collective beat the stars - USA haven’t won in Europe since 93 I think and only twice overall since 99. I expect the same close contest but Europe coming through with the win again

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have lost count the amount of times Europe were going to get thumped based on the relative levels of each team and every time especially at Home Europe the collective beat the stars - USA haven’t won in Europe since 93 I think and only twice overall since 99. I expect the same close contest but Europe coming through with the win again

And most of the time the Americans looked stronger “on paper”. Same again this year, possibly the biggest mismatch “on paper” for a while but no reason Europe can’t win.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i suppose the main thing i can see in the Americans favor now is more of them at least attempt to play over here a bit more. most only came for the open end of, now you have a few that have played had ET cards and even won the challenge tour.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are there not top European players also emerging from their "college" system?
who? other than Rahm?

i think this will be year that USA win in europe, but i certainly dont think for a second it will be anything other than very close.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I think the biggest advantage Europe will have over last time is we have a captain who will not be as stubborn and ill prepared at Clarke was.

Really shocked how someone could make a bigger backside of it than Faldo.

Regardless of who wins the Ryder Cup its a fantastic weekends viewing.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's why I asked the question.
A quick Google shows Fitzpatrick, Willet, Pieters came through the US college system, I find it hard to believe there aren't others. Every inspiring pro I know jumps ship to America as soon as their A levels are finished.

Hard to blame them really, education paid for with incredible facilities.

Fitzpatrick quit after one term and turned pro.

only real person who has 'lit' up the college scene recently is Sam Horsfield. He won Q School last year so hopefully he'll kick on

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wonder if Tiger will get a Wildcard pick if he stays fit and healthy all season?

I think Europe are in a strong position. A team of:

Rory
Sergio
Rahm
Fleetwood
Stenson
Rose
Fitzpatrick
Hatton
Noren
Pieters
Cabrera-Bello
Casey

Looks incredibly strong to me. The top-end of the US side looks incredibly strong with:

DJ
Spieth
JT
Fowler
Reed
Koepka

but then you get into guys like:

Kuchar
Harman
Mickelson
Hoffmann
Z Johnson
Perez
Chappell

who are good, but is it really that scary a team? The Top 5 are absolutely awesome without doubt, but I'm not on board with this being an unbeatable US team. It's a good team with some very talented players, and would undoubtedly be stronger with a fit and firing Tiger, but it's definitely beatable if you can pick up a few points against DJ, Spieth and Thomas.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Wonder if Tiger will get a Wildcard pick if he stays fit and healthy all season?

I think Europe are in a strong position. A team of:

Rory
Sergio
Rahm
Fleetwood
Stenson
Rose
Fitzpatrick
Hatton
Noren
Pieters
Cabrera-Bello
Casey

Looks incredibly strong to me. The top-end of the US side looks incredibly strong with:

DJ
Spieth
JT
Fowler
Reed
Koepka

but then you get into guys like:

Kuchar
Harman
Mickelson
Hoffmann
Z Johnson
Perez
Chappell

who are good, but is it really that scary a team? The Top 5 are absolutely awesome without doubt, but I'm not on board with this being an unbeatable US team. It's a good team with some very talented players, and would undoubtedly be stronger with a fit and firing Tiger, but it's definitely beatable if you can pick up a few points against DJ, Spieth and Thomas.

Well put.

DJ Spieth and JT are great players winning consistently. Then it is a fast sliding scale for US if we talking absolute elite players.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hopefully the course will be set up to give us a bit of a chance rather than the putting competitions that US deliver

I dont understand this view that people have. 20 years ago maybe, but the large majority of the europeans are based on the PGA Tour so play the same courses week in week out.

what tough courses are these europeans playing on each week that the americans arent?

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I get the excitement for the US team but if you take top 10 golfers in rankings its 5:4 to US, top 15 6 each, top 20 7 each. It's hardly like we haven't got talent on our team too with Rose, Rahm, McIlroy etc. If anything this may be the year that the old guys who may have played one year too many are not in the team and replaced with people like Casey or players establishing themselves like Hatton or Fitzpatrick.

D

Deleted member 15344

So after The Open the Ryder Cup possible teams look like this

Molinari
Rose
Hatton
McIlroy
Rahm
Fleetwood
Noren
Casey

Then four wildcards which imo three will be

Poulter , Stenson and Garcia which leaves one spot

Currently Fitzpatrick is the next in line on the points just behind Casey and every chance he can over take him

Then there is Rafa , Pieters , Knox and I guess Levy might be the one Frenchman

That for me is very strong team

US Team at the moment is

Koepka
DJ
Reed
Thomas
Watson
Spieth
Fowler
Simpson

Wild Cards could be - Schuaffle, Kisner ,

Then you have three vets they could pick - Woods , Mickleson and Zach Johnson

For a while a lot of talk has been about how the US are going to walk it - but is that really going to be the case ?