Rule 14-2b Assistance!

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm just thankful he hasn't argued about DMDs - can you imagine him and SILH on the same bandwagon together?? :whistle:

That could be the prize !! A round with them whilst you use your DMD , putt into normal size holes and get someone to caddy for you and let them help line up your putts - imagine the fun :D

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Can you reference the rule which says that, please? I have this strange idea it doesn't exist. Your ;) and I raise you ;) ;)
Rule 25-1b(ii) states that a ball lying in an abnormal ground condition (includes GUR) through the green MUST be lifted and dropped without penalty within one clublength, not nearer the hole, from the nearest point of relief.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rule 25-1b(ii) states that a ball lying in an abnormal ground condition (includes GUR) through the green MUST be lifted and dropped without penalty within one clublength, not nearer the hole, from the nearest point of relief.

Em no it doesnt.

rules.jpg

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
What does it say then? I have always understood that it is compulsory to take a drop from GUR as the rule includes the word 'must'. One of the few situations when you don't have the option of playing the ball as it lies.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
What does it say then? I have always understood that it is compulsory to take a drop from GUR as the rule includes the word 'must'. One of the few situations when you don't have the option of playing the ball as it lies.

Here is an idea, instead of telling me what it says when you don't actually know, go and read up the rules THEN come back to me.

I will give you a hint though "local rule" & "may" are involved.

So instead of being all high and mighty read a rule book. It might actually help.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
OK, so under the definition of Ground Under Repair, a committee may make a local rule prohibiting play from Ground Under Repair, which implies that this is not automatically the case. However this is irrelevant to the original thread, which was about rule 14-2b!

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK, so under the definition of Ground Under Repair, a committee may make a local rule prohibiting play from Ground Under Repair, which implies that this is not automatically the case. However this is irrelevant to the original thread, which was about rule 14-2b!

It was you who brought the Rory penalty up. So why did you mention it?

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site

So why are you droning on about 25-1b(ii) then?

Maybe it is time you stopped with the crappy rules threads and engaged in some normal threads. They do get tiresome pretty quickly especially when you don't get your own way. :rolleyes:

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Derek, I think the phrase you are searching for is "sorry.....you were right and I was wrong"
Although never having heard it before, I won't hold my breath.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

I wonder then how many times you've been in GUR and missed the opportunity to get a better deal by playing the ball as it lies. I can see where you have misunderstood 25-1b. If you look at the first sentence, it tells us that we may take relief - therefore we don't have to

Except when the ball is in a water hazard or a lateral water hazard, a player may take relief from interference by an abnormal ground condition as follows .........

Then must in the next bit tells us what we have to do if we choose to take relief - i.e. the method of taking relief is mandatory, but taking it is not.

(i)Through the Green: If the ball lies through the green, the player must lift the ball and drop it, without penalty, within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief.

The Committee can introduce the Local Rule you refer to in order to make it mandatory to take relief from a particular GUR - for example to prohibit play from a newly seeded area that needs protection. Without it, taking relief is optional.

Now you can go out there, get into a normal area of GUR and astonish your friends by playing your ball as it lies :thup:

Last edited:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I wonder then how many times you've been in GUR and missed the opportunity to get a better deal by playing the ball as it lies. I can see where you have misunderstood 25-1b. If you look at the first sentence, it tells us that we may take relief - therefore we don't have to

Except when the ball is in a water hazard or a lateral water hazard, a player may take relief from interference by an abnormal ground condition as follows .........

Then must in the next bit tells us what we have to do if we choose to take relief - i.e. the method of taking relief is mandatory, but taking it is not.

(i)Through the Green: If the ball lies through the green, the player must lift the ball and drop it, without penalty, within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief.

The Committee can introduce the Local Rule you refer to in order to make it mandatory to take relief from a particular GUR - for example to prohibit play from a newly seeded area that needs protection. Without it, taking relief is optional.

Now you can go out there, get into a normal area of GUR and astonish your friends by playing your ball as it lies :thup:
Generally speaking GUR is there to allow a damaged part of the course to recover, so I would prefer not to play from it, even if I am allowed to do so within the rules.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Generally speaking GUR is there to allow a damaged part of the course to recover, so I would prefer not to play from it, even if I am allowed to do so within the rules.

Ah. Del my old fruit, what YOU would PREFER to do is pretty irrelevant in the reading of rules. It would be great if you actually got your facts right before posting on rules here cos, believe me, there is no way that an error in stating or interpreting rules is going to be passed over on this forum, there are some real knowledgeable rules experts on here.

As they say, "it's always better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt" and another saying comes to mind " when in a hole stop digging" so, just check what you write Del, it'll make your life easier on here!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

The man who wants all the rules changed doesn't understand the rules, you couldn't make it up :D

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
If you've got nothing against the rule, why do you keep going on about it? ;)

To be honest I was pretty happy with my first post on it!! (where I made it clear I had nothing against the rule), I've then felt compelled to reply ;)

It's off topic in any case... so let's leave it there, I don't think we actually disagree on much, as I agree that rules if they exist (agree or disagree with them) should be enforced..

Last edited:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I knew that in the casual water case, you can either play the ball as it lies, or take full or maximum available relief. I guess that at my previous club, where I learnt the rules, we must have had the local rule that prohibited play from GUR, so wrongly assumed that it applied everywhere. I did know that the one club length relief includes your stance if your back is is to the AGC, which many players don't seem to know, and is what seems to have caught out Rory. Will you accept that rule 25-1 is confusingly written and that you have to read it in conjunction with the definition of Ground Under Repair. I apologise if I have misled anybody! I thought I was pretty knowlegable on the rules, so this proves that you can always learn more!

Now can we get back to rule 14-2b, which is the main subject of this thread please?