Rule 14-2b Assistance!

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Generally I am pretty good with the rules, and am disappointed if I don't get at least 9 out of 10 right in any rules quiz. However nobody's perfect (except John Paramor) and that minor error was pointed out and apologised for in post #155. :eek:

You have argued twice about a rule and twice been wrong. That doesn't come across as pretty good with the rules. Anyway I am out of this as I feel like I will only end up beating my head against a wall. Enjoy your pointless arguments

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Any chance of getting back to rule 14-2b, which was the original topic guys? How do you organise a poll on here, as I would like to know in general what folks think about caddies lining up their players from behind the line of play. I and quite a few people I know don't like it, but we may not be representative of the whole golfing community. :mmm:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Any chance of getting back to rule 14-2b, which was the original topic guys? How do you organise a poll on here, as I would like to in general what folks think about caddies lining up their players from behind the line of play. I and quite a few people I know don't like it, but we may not be representative of the whole golfing community. :mmm:

I would tell you as it's easy to do but I fear for the forum if you learn how to do it so I'm not telling :D

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I have already apologized for that minor error, so what's your problem? :confused:

I haven't got a problem. I was just replying to your post pointing at the diagrams which "may help" in order to clarify that if it was aimed at me I was fine with the rule. This crossed with your post acknowledging your error so thanks for that.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I would tell you as it's easy to do but I fear for the forum if you learn how to do it so I'm not telling :D

Why? I am not going to do it every day. Just interested to know how people feel about this particular issue! I can't find any obvious button that says 'organise poll' :mmm:

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
OK, back to the OP. Caddies checking alignment. I don't have a problem with it. Caddies are there to help the player, there's no appreciable impact on the time taken and on the whole only a minority do this in the women's game so it would IMO be change for changes sake.

DCB

Visit site
Back to OP, don't see a problem with this. Discussed line of putt with my partner in pairs matches many a time. Don't see it as an issue.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Why? I am not going to do it every day. Just interested to know how people feel about this particular issue! I can't find any obvious button that says 'organise poll' :mmm:

When you post normally, look further down the page and tic the 'Poll' box, this also asks you how many options in the poll you want and off you go.

Sorry guys :smirk:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Back to OP, don't see a problem with this. Discussed line of putt with my partner in pairs matches many a time. Don't see it as an issue.

Ditto, in my winter league match yesterday we both discussed the line and how it may break with each other. No issues.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
When you post normally, look further down the page and tic the 'Poll' box, this also asks you how many options in the poll you want and off you go.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
That's OK with me, as long as you don't line him up from behind the line of play. Incidentally decision 14-2/1 only mentions a playing partner being able to line up a player, so I wonder if it's even legal for a caddie to do this? :mmm:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

I still can't find this wretched box. Is it only available on a thread starter? Also, what does the 'multi-quote' box do? :confused:

Last edited:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's OK with me, as long as you don't line him up from behind the line of play. Incidentally decision 14-2/1 only mentions a playing partner being able to line up a player, so I wonder if it's even legal for a caddie to do this? :mmm:

Well it actually says that the rule does not apply prior to play, so there is no inference that it is only for the playing partner.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I still can't find this wretched box. Is it only available on a thread starter? Also, what does the 'multi-quote' box do? :confused:

Yes, only when you start a new thread.

Multi-quote simply means you can reply to multiple people by selecting all those posts, you need to un-tic them afterwards though, otherwise they stay there on your next replies.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Well it actually says that the rule does not apply prior to play, so there is no inference that it is only for the playing partner.

What it actually says is:

Rule 14-2b (Assistance)

b. Positioning of Caddie or Partner Behind Ball
A player must not make a stroke with his caddie, his partner or his partner's caddie positioned on or close to an extension of the line of play or line of putt behind the ball.
Exception: There is no penalty if the player’s caddie, his partner or his partner's caddie is inadvertently located on or close to an extension of the line of play or line of putt behind the ball.
PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE 14-1 or 14-2:
Match play – Loss of hole; Stroke play – Two strokes.

Decision 14-2/1 Player Aligns Partner's Club Before Stroke

Q A player aligns his partner's putter and then moves away before his partner plays. Is this permissible?

A Yes. Rule 14-2 (Assistance) does not apply prior to making a stroke.

I think the rule should be changed to make it illegal to stand there or assist once the player has taken his or her stance, so no adjustments possible after this.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Yes, only when you start a new thread.

Multi-quote simply means you can reply to multiple people by selecting all those posts, you need to un-tic them afterwards though, otherwise they stay there on your next replies.

OK I've found the poll box, ticked it and put in the number of questions I want to ask, but how or when can you add the questions themselves?