Rule 14-2b Assistance!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Just wondering what the point of Rule 14-2b is, when caddies can line up their players and then move away just before they start their swing? Why is it not assistance when players are lining up, but becomes assistance when they make their swings? IMO players should be entirely responsible for their set up and their swings! The practice of caddies lining up players seems to be particularly prevalent on the LPGA Tour, and seems to waste a lot of time!

D

Deleted member 15344

Im sure caddies are there to help their pros - I'm guessing you don't want them giving them yardages next or even help with reading the putts

I'm guessing it's more a final check that they are lined up correctly

Can't see a problem with it

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Im sure caddies are there to help their pros - I'm guessing you don't want them giving them yardages next or even help with reading the putts

I'm guessing it's more a final check that they are lined up correctly

Can't see a problem with it
Wastes time! It is up to the player not to start his or her swing while the caddie is standing behind the line of play.

D

Deleted member 15344

Wastes time! It is up to the player not to start his or her swing while the caddie is standing behind the line of play.

Sorry but what ?!?

Yes it us up to the player not to start his swing and he won't until he is ready and no one is behind his line

No problem at all

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Sorry but what ?!?

Yes it us up to the player not to start his swing and he won't until he is ready and no one is behind his line

No problem at all
Rule 14-2b only applies to playing partners and caddies. Otherwise not standing directly behind the line of play is just a matter of etiquette, and the player can either ignore it, or ask the opponent or fellow competitor to move. :)

Last edited:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
So far I have only argued with Liverpoolphil, who obviously believes that 5+ hour rounds of golf are acceptable! Caddies lining up players and then moving off the line of play is just another way of wasting time in pro tournaments. Either caddies shouldn't be allowed to stand behind the line of play at all, once the player starts to line up, or they can stay there.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You know, I didn't look to see who started this thread, but having read the OP, somehow I knew, without looking it was you. Is there a rule you don't want changed?

Do you spend your free time looking through the rule book trying to think of reasons why you want each one changed?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
You know, I didn't look to see who started this thread, but having read the OP, somehow I knew, without looking it was you. Is there a rule you don't want changed?

Do you spend your free time looking through the rule book trying to think of reasons why you want each one changed?
This issue came up in the 'Where should you stand on the tee' thread in 'The Lounge' forum. :cool:

D

Deleted member 15344

When did I say 5 and 1/2 hour rounds are acceptable ?!?

Please also prove this is the reason why we have 5 and 1/2 rounds !!

This isn't a cause of slow at clubs !

What an unreal tenuous link you have tried there

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
When did I say 5 and 1/2 hour rounds are acceptable ?!?

Please also prove this is the reason why we have 5 and 1/2 rounds !!

This isn't a cause of slow at clubs !

What an unreal tenuous link you have tried there
Club players can get the impression that playing golf at a snail's pace is perfectly acceptable from watching televised pro golf tournaments. This was obviously the case at our club this morning, when it took 2 1/2 hours to play 9 holes. And you couldn't blame the seniors for this, because very few of them play at weekends!

D

Deleted member 15344

But that has zero relevance to a caddy helping line up a putt ! Zero

Slow play is a problem but it's not because of another rule that you want changing !

On that note im out :thup:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
But that has zero relevance to a caddy helping line up a putt ! Zero

Slow play is a problem but it's not because of another rule that you want changing !

On that note im out :thup:

What seems to happen on the pro tours is that players amble down the fairway without apparently giving any thought to how and with what club they are going to play their next shot. When they get there, there is a five minute discussion with their caddies, during which time time yardages are paced out and much grass is thrown into the air to gauge the wind speed and direction. Eventually a consensus is reached as to which club is to be used. Then a number of practice swings followed by the lining up and the getting off the line ritual by the caddie. There are a few exceptions, such as Colin Montgomerie and John Daly, who seem to like to get a move on, but they get held up by all the others in front of them. As to lining up itself, as an amateur club golfer I hardly ever play with a caddie, so I have to line myself up. Why can't this be the same for the pros? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
What seems to happen on the pro tours is that players amble down the fairway without apparently giving any thought to how and with what club they are going to play their next shot. When they get there, there is a five minute discussion with their caddies, during which time time yardages are paced out and much grass is thrown into the air to gauge the wind speed and direction. Eventually a consensus is reached as to which club is to be used. Then a number of practice swings followed by the lining up and the getting off the line ritual by the caddie. There are a few exceptions, such as Colin Montgomerie and John Daly, who seem to like to get a move on, but they get held up by all the others in front of them. As to lining up itself, as an amateur club golfer I hardly ever play with a caddie, so I have to line myself up. Why can't this be the same for the pros? :rolleyes:

things are always different in sports between amateurs and pros. I don't think the is a person in this forum who's game wouldn't improve if they had Steve Willams with them for 18 holes. The golfer and caddie are a team working together to earn a living. As the saying goes. 2 heads are better than one. If the caddie calla a different line on one out, that could be the putt that wins them a major!

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not another rule change request???? :confused:
Do you ever write to the R&A about these, or just moan about them on golf forums?
Even Victor Meldrew didn't moan as much!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Club players can get the impression that playing golf at a snail's pace is perfectly acceptable from watching televised pro golf tournaments. This was obviously the case at our club this morning, when it took 2 1/2 hours to play 9 holes. And you couldn't blame the seniors for this, because very few of them play at weekends!

Aaah here we go......this isn't a moan about caddies lining up players, someone has accused the seniors of slow play........:whistle: