Rule 14-2b Assistance!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't - don't even like people helping me out with my line ( in fourball BB for example )

yeah but when it is someone who you trust like a caddy that you have spent years working with, wouldn't you let him do it? I read something about how tour players say having a caddy helping them on shots and lining them up can save them 2 or 3 shots a round

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Yes - because it doesn't make any difference :thup:

Obviously some of the players on the LPGA Tour think it does, because otherwise they wouldn't bother. Could just be a fashion thing I suppose!

BTW I am renowned as being one of the straightest drivers at my club. My lining up technique consists of picking a spot on the ground over which I want the ball to pass, pointing the club face squarely at that point, and then aligning the rest of myself in relation to that. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

yeah but when it is someone who you trust like a caddy that you have spent years working with, wouldn't you let him do it? I read something about how tour players say having a caddy helping them on shots and lining them up can save them 2 or 3 shots a round

Oh totally understand why the pros do it with a caddy and have no problems at all with caddies helping them out

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Yeah it makes no difference to the round time. Think of it this way. If they're caddie wasn't giving their opinion. What's to say the pros wouldn't check twice as much just to be sure......
I think you are trying to wriggle out of what you meant! :rofl:

BTW I see Rory McIlroy finished one shot off the lead in Abu Dhabi after picking up a 2 stroke penalty in round 3 for another stupid rule!

D

Deleted member 15344

I though you said it made no difference!

A caddy and a pro working together as a team ?

Should caddys also not give clubbing advice or yardage advice or wind advice - what else would you like changed ?

D

Deleted member 15344

I think you are trying to wriggle out of what you meant! :rofl:

BTW I see Rory McIlroy finished one shot off the lead in Abu Dhabi after picking up a 2 stroke penalty in round 3 for another stupid rule!

So would you like the full relief rule changed as well then ?

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

Should caddys also not give clubbing advice or yardage advice or wind advice - what else would you like changed ?

good point, at what point do you stop the caddy helping? Should the pros just put their bats on a powakaddy and not have caddies? But then that would start another debate on why young it healthy golfers aren't carrying.........:whistle:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

No, fine with all of those things, along with carrying the bag etc. Caddies are supposed to be a player's assistant, not an alignment aid!

D

Deleted member 15344

No, fine with all of those things, along with carrying the bag etc. Caddies are supposed to be a player's assistant, not an alignment aid!

But he is assisting him with his alignment just as he is assisting him with his clubbing and distance etc

You can't pick and choose.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think in a game that has some many different situations that require rules to written for, the governing bodies don't do a bad job at all. I will agree some rules like flattening spike marks on greens need changing, but that affects us more than a tour pros.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I think the question here is this.........

if you could have someone stand behind you and make sure you had lined up perfect on every shot, would you?

I wouldn't - don't even like people helping me out with my line ( in fourball BB for example )

No offence (your reply caught my eye) but in my experience it's mostly miserable golfers who have that mindset..... watch the Ryder Cup and see if pros don't help each other read putts. 4BBB is a TEAM game.

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
But he is assisting him with his alignment just as he is assisting him with his clubbing and distance etc

You can pick and choose can't you? That's what rules are for. I agree that alignment should be banned, the rest shouldn't be banned. I see it a little like the long putter ban... Not to get into that, but my guess the R&A don't like the look of it...so they ban it. Why not the same with the "right a bit, left a bit" alignment... It looks terrible for the game...ban it.

D

Deleted member 15344

No offence (your reply caught my eye) but in my experience it's mostly miserable golfers who have that mindset..... watch the Ryder Cup and see if pros don't help each other read putts. 4BBB is a TEAM game.

Miserable golfers ?! - sorry you will have to show me the connection between reading my own putts and being a miserable golfer ?

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site

i'm not sure I would want them to... For one I'd have to explain all the time where I was actually aiming as it might not be the flag and maybe my stance is a little open Justin Rose style (ok it isn't...but it could be!)... Ok I guess your caddy would get to know this but if your a professional I think you should be fairly well practiced at aligning yourself.

D

Deleted member 15344

You can pick and choose can't you? That's what rules are for. I agree that alignment should be banned, the rest shouldn't be banned. I see it a little like the long putter ban... Not to get into that, but my guess the R&A don't like the look of it...so they ban it. Why not the same with the "right a bit, left a bit" alignment... It looks terrible for the game...ban it.

Sorry I mean you can't pick and chose what rules you want banned - if you want the caddy to stop assisting the putting why not stop him assisting all aspects of the game

And anytime I have seen a caddy help with alignment it's more a confidence check as opposed to the "left a bit , right a bit " - sorry but that's creating a false picture. And totally disagree with it looking terrible for golf

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

If I where to put down an alignment rod on the teeing ground during a stipulated round to help me line up, that would be a breach of rule 14-3. Why should a caddie lining you up be any different?!!! :mmm:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If I where to put down an alignment rod on the teeing ground during a stipulated round to help me line up, that would be a breach of rule 14-3. Why should a caddie lining you up be any different?!!! :mmm:

It isn't ....but it's currently in the rules.... so that's that.

Appreciate you wanting to change the rule but other than that your argument is going to go round in circles mate.