Rule 14-2b Assistance!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Not sure I understand this... Didn't Delc say that he thought the rule McIlroy got done for was stupid... Isn't that a valid opinion? McIlroy himself called it a silly rule, didn't he?

When taking relief from GUR, the rule is very clear, you MUST take FULL relief. McIlroy had his foot on the white line. I don't see how anyone can argue with that.

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
The only stupid thing is Rory. It is not an ambiguous situation that he has found himself in. Pretty standard straight forward rule IMO

When taking relief from GUR, the rule is very clear, you MUST take FULL relief. McIlroy had his foot on the white line. I don't see how anyone can argue with that.

I understand the rule, it's clear and he deserved to be penalised. I haven't said anything to go against this. I don't understand the stick Delc is getting for calling this rule stupid when McIlroy himself said it was silly. To say a rule is stupid isn't so say it's not clear. I've personally got nothing against the rule, but I don't see what's wrong with having an opinion that the rule is stupid.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The only stupid thing is Rory. It is not an ambiguous situation that he has found himself in. Pretty standard straight forward rule IMO

I don't know what the conditions of competition were, but I understand that Rory took a drop from a spectator walkway. I believe that in many tournaments players can play from these if they choose, but in this case it was designated as GUR. Rory dropped rather close to the GUR line so that one of his feet was touching or on it when he took his stance. Therefore he hadn't taken complete relief from the GUR and got a 2-stroke penalty for this, I think under rule 25-1b, but a rather obscure ruling.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Somewhere in the middle! You have played with me Robin, so you should know that my short game is not the best.

Long time ago that was now Derek, we all change and either improve or go off the boil in places :smirk:

D

Deleted Member 1156

I understand the rule, it's clear and he deserved to be penalised. I haven't said anything to go against this. I don't understand the stick Delc is getting for calling this rule stupid when McIlroy himself said it was silly. To say a rule is stupid isn't so say it's not clear. I've personally got nothing against the rule, but I don't see what's wrong with having an opinion that the rule is stupid.

OK...so he takes his drop correctly and his follow through is blocked by a tree so he has to chip out sideways. But if he drops 1ft away and is standing on the line, he now has a clear shot to the green.

Hypothetical situation but is it now still a silly rule?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
What's your handicap down to now?

Your on HDID enough to see it, been cut 4.9 shots this year so far but, got a few 0.1's back on, although I'm contesting 2 x 0.1s at opens elsewhere where we didn't finish the course due to slow play in front and the last 3 holes being played in pitch black!

I'm hopeful of a good season in 2014.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Your on HDID enough to see it, been cut 4.9 shots this year so far but, got a few 0.1's back on, although I'm contesting 2 x 0.1s at opens elsewhere where we didn't finish the course due to slow play in front and the last 3 holes being played in pitch black!

I'm hopeful of a good season in 2014.

Well done on the cuts mate! I see from HDID that your handicap is 20.3. I got down from 12 to 10.2 last year, but have crept back up to 10.6 in the last couple of months due to just missing the buffer zone in 4 qualifiers. Good luck for the coming season!

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
OK...so he takes his drop correctly and his follow through is blocked by a tree so he has to chip out sideways. But if he drops 1ft away and is standing on the line, he now has a clear shot to the green.

Hypothetical situation but is it now still a silly rule?

As I said, I've nothing against the rule, just not sure why people are getting so uptight about somebody having an opinion about it.

however in my opinion your example isn't a case for the rule not being stupid. I'd say the better case would be that GUR is GUR for a reason and people shouldn't be standing in it to make their stroke. In your example if the rule didn't exist then the person takes the drop, stands on the line and is or isn't blocked by a tree... It could be the other way round, drop incorrectly under the rule and you are blocked by a tree, drop correctly and you are not blocked. Whether you are blocked by a tree has nothing to do with whether the rule is stupid in my opinion.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know what the conditions of competition were, but I understand that Rory took a drop from a spectator walkway. I believe that in many tournaments players can play from these if they choose, but in this case it was designated as GUR. Rory dropped rather close to the GUR line so that one of his feet was touching or on it when he took his stance. Therefore he hadn't taken complete relief from the GUR and got a 2-stroke penalty for this, I think under rule 25-1b, but a rather obscure ruling.

Surely he could of just played from the GUR if he wanted? Didn't see any mention of the GUR having a mandate saying he must take a drop?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Surely he could of just played from the GUR if he wanted? Didn't see any mention of the GUR having a mandate saying he must take a drop?

We discussed this in the bar today, unless we are not privy to any specific rules for the tournament, we all believed to save any issues in the future, more so if the ball is perfectly playable, just play it from the GUR as your allowed to do!

D

Deleted Member 1156

As I said, I've nothing against the rule, just not sure why people are getting so uptight about somebody having an opinion about it.

however in my opinion your example isn't a case for the rule not being stupid. I'd say the better case would be that GUR is GUR for a reason and people shouldn't be standing in it to make their stroke. In your example if the rule didn't exist then the person takes the drop, stands on the line and is or isn't blocked by a tree... It could be the other way round, drop incorrectly under the rule and you are blocked by a tree, drop correctly and you are not blocked. Whether you are blocked by a tree has nothing to do with whether the rule is stupid in my opinion.

The rule isn't stupid, it is there for a reason. It's been there for a very long time and has been administered by people with a lot better understanding of the game than you or me. Feel free to consider it stupid if you wish but there is a reason for the rule. If you think the rules of golf are stupid maybe you should consider a different pastime.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

You have to take full relief from GUR and this includes your stance, which is what Rory fell foul of.

Last edited:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
His foot was touching the line, that is against the rules, end of story.

Why I and Rory thought the ruling was silly in this case, was that he was taking relief from a spectator walkway, which would not normally be regarded as GUR. I presume that this was a condition of competition for this tournament.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
You have to take full relief from GUR and this includes your stance, which is what Rory fell foul of.

No idea why you highlighted that word ... if you had written a word such as 'must' and then highlighted then I may have considered it more appropriate, but the word highlighted is not really that useful in a rules discussion, were words like must/may are generally used.

Anyway, your wrong.

Unless the GUR rule states that relief must be taken then the player has the option of playing it as it lies, or taking full relief.