Rugby Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I was watching that game a bit unsure of what outcome I wanted. In the end I think it was the best of both worlds - Fiji through and Portugal with the win. Unbelievable game.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Farrell in for Ford 😳 . Has Borthwick been watching games recently? Just peculiar.

Now at Tigers he was known for odd selections but was proved right every time. That said, I am not sure that this is it, Farrell just seems to be undropable and I have no idea why.

You could argue that he is stronger in the tackle than Ford (when he does it legally) and Ford would lose yards bringing down big Fijians but that is all I can think of.

As for Arundel not getting a sniff, rumours are that this is due to a training ground bust up with Farrell.

I still think England will stumble their way to a semi final but no idea how.

Reached the stage where I would rather just have the Tigers players back in country and lining up for us. Selfishly cheering for France so as we can get Pollard and Weise back for next week against Sale.

WGCRider

Visit site
Farrell in for Ford 😳 . Has Borthwick been watching games recently? Just peculiar.

I think this is the right choice. The one that I don't get is Smith at 15. He's started one game there in his life (vs Chile). Now Daly on the wing in the backup 15. If Fiji have any sense they will make it rain bombs all day!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think this is the right choice. The one that I don't get is Smith at 15. He's started one game there in his life (vs Chile). Now Daly on the wing in the backup 15. If Fiji have any sense they will make it rain bombs all day!

Their wingers are not designed for the kick chase so it would be hard to put that in to their game at short notice. If there was a game to get Smith involved from full back, this is it as you would certainly want the experience of Steward against any of the other teams left in.

Not saying I agree with the decision. Steward has gone from being hailed as the best in the world to being a reason for the back line not firing as he is apparently not quick enough (he is not slow) and I just do not get it, but I can at least make a slight case for it in this match and it may be something we need in a later match for that spark he can bring as the backs and the back row at the moment are just not geared up to play the style of rugby he needs at fly half plus he does not get the space he gets in the Premiership at international level.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why do you think it is the right choice? I'm an occasional rugby watcher and with Farell playing we seem very slow and predictable. I'm not saying Ford is the absolute opposite but we do seem to have a bit more about us when he plays.

Farell is clearly great defensively but his impact going forwards seems negative.

Interested to hear your views, from previous posts you are a rugby person and so will see things I won't.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why do you think it is the right choice? I'm an occasional rugby watcher and with Farell playing we seem very slow and predictable. I'm not saying Ford is the absolute opposite but we do seem to have a bit more about us when he plays.

Farell is clearly great defensively but his impact going forwards seems negative.

Interested to hear your views, from previous posts you are a rugby person and so will see things I won't.
Personally, I watch Farrell and expect a high tackle every time he goes in. He is a liability for me, so I would have played Ford and don't mind Smith at FB.
Fiji do play a slightly different game that isn't so much kick dependant.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

It is purely on the defensive side of things. Ford is not the best in the tackle and tends to go in high and try and hold the bigger men up whilst waiting for support. The Fijians will look to exploit that and drive through the 10 channel to gain yards.

On the other side, the Fijians looked leggy against Portugal and may be short on gas later in the game. Ford can then step in to move the ball around the pitch and exploit a tiring team.

That is my thinking anyway and I am a bit more attuned to Borthwick's selection policy having watched it at Tigers for the best part of three years but then again even then he would pull the off surprise

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally, I watch Farrell and expect a high tackle every time he goes in. He is a liability for me, so I would have played Ford and don't mind Smith at FB.
Fiji do play a slightly different game that isn't so much kick dependant.

I would just worry about the big runners coming through the 10 channel with Ford or Smith there. I do expect Fiji to tire though and would like to see Ford or Smith at 10 after 60--65 minutes

WGCRider

Visit site

I think you need to play your best players in each position. While Farrel is defensively solid at 12 he doesn't get the backline moving forward as well as you would expect from a top of the range 10. In my view the best set up is rugby is to have 2 play makers in your team. For the best teams today it's 9 and 10. Even South Africa where it's sometimes 9 and 15 are moving to 9 and 10 (hence the choice of Libbock over Pollard despite his poor kicking). If England play Farrel at 12 your decision makers are 10 and 12. So 1) they don't get the ball often enough and 2) they are always under preasure behind the gainline. Tomorrow England are set up with 10 and 15 as the attacking keys. This is the way they have been playing for the past few years (even under Eddie Jones). What they are expecting is for Fiji to run at them but I don't think they play like that anymore. Their 9 kicks more and I think that may be a problem for Smith. For me I'd rather see Care at 9 and Farrel at 10 to set up like other teams. Then you can change it up by bringing Ford on later.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
How was he wrapping with his hands by his side. Bizarre.

I was rather hoping the Welsh Number 1 was going to be carded - half the team would have walked :)

If Dan Biggar looks at himself on the big screen and clutches his chest one more time! Such a poser. Can't help himself but keep glancing at the screen!