RRP of balls. Is it getting beyond ridiculous?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Two things can be true.
A ball can feel terrible when putting, and have less spin than a premium ball...
But it will make no difference to anyone's scores (unless they are a pro, and a 6 handicapper is much closer to a 15 capper than a pro).
Yes a hard ball will feel terrible and have less spin, and that will be fine for choppers
But also Yes it will make a difference to peoples scores as discussed above around the short game especially.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Single digit handicap since 1977. Low as 3, but currently 4.5.

I've used distance balls a lot when I think conditions merit it. Srixon Distance was/is a good ball, but currently using TM RBZ speed. Again I say, when conditions merit it.

I have no problem stopping them on the green with a good shot. No problem chipping and putting with them either.
Not so easy to bend round trees with a controlled fade or draw is the main downside.

Not all distance balls are the same - there are some rubbish ones that's for sure. But to label them all as bricks with absolutely no stopping power is nonsense.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
My problem is that with pick-ups I often have no idea whether or not it’s a decent enough ball or not. Sure I can tell the rocks and the squiggies that I don’t like; and I know I‘ve unearthed a nugget when it’s a ProV…but other brands…generally haven’t a scoobies. Might just go to AD333s for winter as I’ve got stacks of them.

I do a totally (un)scientific ‘bounce’ test with any ball (even new but especially ‘foundlings’) before I play it
Just bounce it off the concrete and see how much bounce height it has and what sound it makes. If it doesn’t meet my stringent standards I’ll give it to a PP
(I see all the tennis players do something similar in their game)

Just the kind of placebo confidence needed before a tee shot (y)

Springveldt

Visit site
I do a totally (un)scientific ‘bounce’ test with any ball (even new but especially ‘foundlings’) before I play it
Just bounce it off the concrete and see how much bounce height it has and what sound it makes. If it doesn’t meet my stringent standards I’ll give it to a PP
(I see all the tennis players do something similar in their game)

Just the kind of placebo confidence needed before a tee shot (y)
No way I'm bouncing a urethane ball on concrete just to scuff it before playing it. I always play a Urethane covered ball during summer.

With winter approaching now and greens getting much softer I'd have no issues playing something like an AD333. Those can actually be beneficial in the winter since they spin less so you don't get an much distance drop off on your irons as you do if you continue to play a Urethane ball over the winter.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I’ve read up on soft feel balls they always seem to talk about increased distance for slower swings etc. What’s the difference between a soft ball and a distance ball? For example, the srixon soft feel versus the srixon distance?

I would class a brick/rock as something old like a top flight/Slazenger distance. And although they may not change your score, you can certainly feel them vibrate up the club like tuning fork on a cold winter day, and I’d rather avoid that!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes a hard ball will feel terrible and have less spin, and that will be fine for choppers
But also Yes it will make a difference to peoples scores as discussed above around the short game especially.
I'd agrue to opposite. I find myself short of the pin alot more than I do past it. Extra spin from premium balls would most likely have a negative impact on a handicap golfer's score. I've lost count of how many times I've dropped a wedge next to the hole but screwed it back 10 feet ?

CountLippe

Visit site
I'd agrue to opposite. I find myself short of the pin alot more than I do past it. Extra spin from premium balls would most likely have a negative impact on a handicap golfer's score. I've lost count of how many times I've dropped a wedge next to the hole but screwed it back 10 feet ?

As has been mentioned previously in the same, use the same ball and you will become more consistent with distances, no worse anyway. When it comes to the premium balls, there will be less variance on run out. eg as greens get firmer, the additional run out will be more controllable.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
When I’ve read up on soft feel balls they always seem to talk about increased distance for slower swings etc. What’s the difference between a soft ball and a distance ball? For example, the srixon soft feel versus the srixon distance?

I would class a brick/rock as something old like a top flight/Slazenger distance. And although they may not change your score, you can certainly feel them vibrate up the club like tuning fork on a cold winter day, and I’d rather avoid that!

If you read the MyGolfSpy report that I linked earlier that will explain it.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
As has been mentioned previously in the same, use the same ball and you will become more consistent with distances, no worse anyway. When it comes to the premium balls, there will be less variance on run out. eg as greens get firmer, the additional run out will be more controllable.
I can't agree more. IF you have consistent strike. Do you? Because I don't and I'm a single figure golfer.
consistent spin numbers with premium balls requires consistent strike. If you don't get the strike you're not going to get the anticipated spin.

Golfer :"I'll send this wedge nice and low for a one hop and check shot".
Golfer then catches it a groove low and it doesn't check!!!! Bye bye ball

Last edited:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whilst handicap golfers might not strike the ball consistently, that is only one variable; why introduce a second variable by changing the ball AND having an inconsistent strike?

I’d stick with one type of ball throughout a round regardless of how well or badly I’m striking it.
Because that variable is so small at our level is it worth the additional outlay? I have litterly saved £100's on playing pick ups. I'd rather spend that money on lessons. If cash flow wasn't an issue then sure, why not

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
You perceive the variable to be small, however this is purely an 'eye test' rather than substantiated. What's the harm in trying it?
Because the price of balls is ridiculous. My scores are consistent no matter what ball I play. I anticipate my shot and if I hit the ball as I intended to I ALWAYS get the desired outcome.
My only stipulation is I will choose to play a soft coated ball in the summer to help hold the greens from outside let's say 140 yards

For what it's worth I have tried it. I got a bag of about 100 prov's from a pro. Didn't make one ounce off difference to my game

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

Because the price of balls is ridiculous. My scores are consistent no matter what ball I play. I anticipate my shot and if I hit the ball as I intended to I ALWAYS get the desired outcome.
My only stipulation is I will choose to play a soft coated ball in the summer to help hold the greens from outside let's say 140 yards

For what it's worth I have tried it. I got a bag of about 100 prov's from a pro. Didn't make one ounce off difference to my game

:unsure:

Bobthesock

Visit site
I can shoot mid 70s with a srixon distance or 90s with a premium ball, or vice versa.
Imo if you are not cat 1 you are not good enough to tell the difference.
If paying nearly a fiver a ball gives you the confidence then go for it, each to their own

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
According to my stats I shoot 2.56 shots fewer with a urethane covered ball than a standard ball and 0.2 shots fewer with a left dash than other urethane balls.
Your mileage may vary.