Royal County Down

evemccc

Visit site
I enquired about a round at RCD earlier today, and a possible tee-time has been mooted - I was told I’d be joining a party of 6 others…

Is that not a bit OTT?? ‘How long do rounds normally take with 6?’ I said — the answer came back along the lines of “depends how many balls you lose”!

Surely that’s a bit crazy, 7 people on a tee booking..?

Has anyone experienced this or similar there?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
A group of 6, playing two three balls. Or they were. Hopefully the three, from the four you make, welcome you !

Visit site
I would play RCD in a 100 ball if it was offered to me… it’s that good and if it meant I got to stay on the course for even longer with those views… yes please!!

Our 4 ball made it round in under 4 hours, it was proper ready golf and we had caddies and stopped to take photos on most of the tee boxes.

That being said, there’s absolutely no way they allow anything more than 4 balls.

evemccc

Visit site
I would play RCD in a 100 ball if it was offered to me… it’s that good and if it meant I got to stay on the course for even longer with those views… yes please!!

Our 4 ball made it round in under 4 hours, it was proper ready golf and we had caddies and stopped to take photos on most of the tee boxes.

That being said, there’s absolutely no way they allow anything more than 4 balls.

Thanks
Any views on Portrush? Did you play there?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
RCD is spectacular. But not perfect in my view, 2 or 3 weak, or at least, ordinary holes. The other 15 are outstanding though. Difficult though....beware. It did strike me as a course that could do with that warning sign from Bethpage Black about being only for skilled golfers or something !

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Portrush was great sitting above the sea gave great views along the coast.
Not sure if you can see Scotland as it was a bit hazy further along the coast you get views of the Hebrides.
I can't compare with RCD as I haven't played but planning to rectify that next week.

D

Deleted member 23270

Thanks
Any views on Portrush? Did you play there?
I've played them both. I would say RCD is a better course but Portrush is a better overall experience. When I played RCD it was in a competition and they wouldn't even allow us into the clubhouse, had to use the artisans one instead.

AAC

Visit site
I've played them both. I would say RCD is a better course but Portrush is a better overall experience. When I played RCD it was in a competition and they wouldn't even allow us into the clubhouse, had to use the artisans one instead.
Strange, I have played RCD a few times, always received a warm welcome before the game and enjoyed the bar afterwards.

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
I'm going to Ireland in October to play Portrush, Portstewart and Ballyliffin. Absolutely cannot wait! Every person that I know who's played Portrush say it's the best course they've ever played.

Visit site
Is that usual now? I played there over 10 years ago and had lunch in the clubhouse.

I played in April. It was the most welcoming club I have visited - first class service which only added to my awe, greeted at my car, clubs carried to the clubhouse, shown around the clubhouse and then a buggy appeared out of nowhere to take me to the driving range, he waited and had a coffee whilst I shanked a few, and then my caddy was waiting to introduce himself when I returned.

Had lunch afterwards. The members have a separate bar and I was told I’d be shot if I went in there though, especially without a jacket and tie etc ?