(Stealth Driver) Carbonwood Tech - Gimmick or Replacement for Titanium?

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I went and had another hour with trackman to dial in the stealth plus and ended up placing an order, i've genuinely hit around 250 balls with it now over 3 sessions each comparing it to my current driver Mavrik Sub Zero Triple Diamond. I even changed the adaptor on my hulk shaft from callaway to TM so I could directly compare the 2 clubs. There's improvements there for me. I don't put it down to the carbon face or tech etc. I just like the club, Its new and shiny which usually helps but mainly it is really helping optimize my launch conditions and reduce spin which is something prior fits have never quite nailed so there was room in the tank.

Order placed for the below spec, whether the hulk shaft goes in or not is to be determined as I was getting a flatter trajectory with the Smoke Black which was creeping my numbers up.

Taylormade Stealth Plus 8 Degree Head set at 6.5d
Draw bias to offset open face of de-lofting
80g HZRDS Smoke Black 6.5 Tipped 1 inch playing standard length (Usually Play 70 but 80 has been really working for me without losing much club speed)
Midsize MCC+4 Align grip.

Should get it mid/late next week. I look forward to wearing the face out and replacing it for the newer/better model in 11 months.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
it's just marketting guff. No Legal driver can exceed a COR of 0.830 (https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/cor-in-golf-clubs-explained/), which basically means the springyness of the face cannot exceed a certain level, so regardless if you use steel, tittanium, carbon or whatever they cannot get more energy out of the face. Where new drivers differ from older ones is that the mishits from the toe and heel tend to be a little better.

If you are hitting this one better than your old one, it could be a couple of things, 'new driver syndome' where it flies on the demo day and then performs the same as your old driver, or head shaft combo could be better suited.

But if you like it and it puts a smile on your face - and you an afford it buy it :)

I don't think it's as simple as that, not if this article is to be believed. However, the conclusion is the same that there isn't the opportunity for something that will come along and add 10 yards via tech in the head. Better launch characteristics might of course, but that's nothing to do with head technology.

https://mygolfspy.com/no-driver-distance-isnt-maxed-out/

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
it's just marketting guff. No Legal driver can exceed a COR of 0.830 (https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/cor-in-golf-clubs-explained/), which basically means the springyness of the face cannot exceed a certain level, so regardless if you use steel, tittanium, carbon or whatever they cannot get more energy out of the face. Where new drivers differ from older ones is that the mishits from the toe and heel tend to be a little better.
FWIW, that article is out of date. COR has not been used as a metric since 2004. It was replaced by (simpler/more accurate/reliable) CT measurement which has been used since, as per the mygolfspy article Canary Yellow quoted.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Unsurprising. It’s a cheaper material so a bigger margin for them if it works out.
Carbon may be cheaper than Titanium, but I'm not certain that a 60ply bonded face plus protective coating is! Still pretty/extremely cheap when compared to retail price of Driver though!

Mike79

Visit site
I'm off later today for a Stealth fitting... will have a look at the face of the demo clubs to see if they reflect this issue also.

I discounted the Stealth after a few hits last week as everything went left, but everything with my TS3 goes right. So yes, I have a swing issue here, but the left with the Stealth was a draw while the right with the TS3 is a slice. Would be keen to see in a fitting how the draw can be altered, and I have a Titleist fitting on 15th so can compare numbers.

Key for me in both fittings is to understand what sort of loft and shaft flex I should be using - having never had a driver fitting, I have continued buying either 9 or 9.5 deg stiff drivers... because that was the shaft and loft of the first graphite driver I bought years ago (pretty sure it was a Wilson Killer Whale :D). I typically buy last years model, when they are reduced and fittings aren't offered for them because it is buy what is left on the rack. Looking forward to hearing what I should be playing...

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Not sure if anyone has listened to the Rick Shiels podcast with Bryson yet but I did hear one intersting take that has stuck with me -

Bryson said that although this years Cobra driver (KING LTDx) is better than RADSpeed - obviously going to say that - Next years driver is a BEAST in his opinion. If that comes with a Carbon face then maybe TM are on to something.

If it is truly groundbreaking, other brands will follow suit sooner or later.

D

Deleted member 1147

The first 30 seconds of this video show the true comparison, Stealth Plus absolutely destroys the Sim 2

I think he wanted the Sim 2 to win, hence not including the missed fairways.
The Stealth seemed the better driver for him as, as well as going further, he could keep it on the course, whereas the Sim 2 didn't seem so good on miss hits.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If it is truly groundbreaking, other brands will follow suit sooner or later.
It can't be imo, though 'another step forward' perhaps.
My reasoning is that the length is limited by CT. However, the few grams of weight saved can be used to tailor flight somewhat - if the user has a consistent swing!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It can't be imo, though 'another step forward' perhaps.
My reasoning is that the length is limited by CT. However, the few grams of weight saved can be used to tailor flight somewhat - if the user has a consistent swing!

I think the scores of most club golfers would benefit more from a step change in forgiveness than distance. I agree that there won't be earth shattering gains, but that doesn't mean it won't necessarily be demonstrably superior in a way that no other driver in recent times really has been.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I think the scores of most club golfers would benefit more from a step change in forgiveness than distance. I agree that there won't be earth shattering gains, but that doesn't mean it won't necessarily be demonstrably superior in a way that no other driver in recent times really has been.
Well that depends on what's meant by 'forgiveness'! Given that distance can't be increased to any significant degree, it comes down to having a consistent, if marginally defective swing - something that relatively few golfers actually have imo!
But I'm confident it'll be a big seller, simply becaus TM is an extremely good marketing company!

Mike79

Visit site
Looking forward to hearing what I should be playing...

Tried Stealth, Stealth + and Stealth HD. All at 10.5 deg, with various stiff shafts. Stealth HD with a HZRDUS Smoke RDX Red stiff flex had the best carry and dispersion, and the draw bias helped with masking my slide (a bit)

Feedback was that while my TS3 @ 9.5deg can be adjusted up to 10.25 or 11 deg, the Evenflow T1100 shaft is just too low spinning for me which means I don't get the trajectory needed and the slice is made worse.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
While this is true, the reality is that tolerances vary hugely. Typically, if the standard says X is max for sth, the manufacturer will choose to make the product that is specified at Y where Y is guaranteed to be < X within a tolerance Z.

In reality, some products will be Y-Z, some Y+Z... and even Y+Z needs to be comfortably below X to avoid a risk of a product recall.

Hence, smaller Z in manufacturing and closer Y to X = higher COR in the product. Also, this explains why there are "hot drivers" (the one that was Y+Z)

Does it factor in the flux capacitor effect?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I’d love to see one of these consistent swings being mentioned.

Surely the whole point of forgiveness is that it goes some way to masking the inconsistencies in a golf swing. Which we all have to a certain degree. The other thing we all have are swing tendencies. We might not deliver the club face to the ball well, but most of us will do it in a similar way on most swings.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Golfers love the new shiny drivers
Anglers love the new wonder bait
Cyclists love the latest NASA tested frame
Etc etc etc

Most of it is cobblers, but we can't wait to part with our cash. Twas ever thus!

This list deserves its own thread....

Badminton players love a new type or carbon

Rock climbers (stingy dirtbag extraordinaires!) Love a new rubber for tgeir shoes.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Only dislike is the face feels a bit numb, couldn’t really tell where on the face I’d hit it in some cases. Seemed very stable on toe strikes, couldn’t feel the club head twist as much as my old M2 does.

On course testing proved to be good too. Compared the standard head to the HD (high draw) to my old 2016 M2 chopping and changing shafts. Placebo most likely but driving averages did seem to be up generally. Hit one up the 7th that felt like I’d skied it, it was very high launch but was a beaut 277 down the middle. Definitely seems more forgiving. Actually hooked one with the HD so that’s not happening, haven’t hooked one for ages and don’t need that in the back of my mind.

Finished with some GCQUAD numbers on the range and it all seemed to be a better fit. 2 year warranty so TM must have some faith in it. Time to retire the M2.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
I got mine today but looking forward to getting out on the course with it on Saturday.

I went to the simulator with some friends yesterday and the pro let me borrow his fitting head to put on my shaft and hit some bombs with it.....171mph ball speed with 15 degrees of launch and 1,800 rpm of spin when I knocked it down to 7 degrees of loft. I hit 3 drives over 345 yards on GCQuad, maybe a little generous but it was fun.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Was speaking to a mate who works in one of the pro shops in town. Had tried one and didn't like it. He's a decent player off +3 and said there was no difference in feel between the middle and an off centre hit. Anyone else found this that's tried one?