(Stealth Driver) Carbonwood Tech - Gimmick or Replacement for Titanium?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Gimmick. Carbon faces have been tried before. Got a test at my club but not holding my breath of it being any sort of game changer

Maybe so. But composite materials have advanced a touch since the Yonex and C4.

Most serious reviews are saying it’s more forgiving than previous drivers not necessarily longer.

D

Deleted member 21445

TM saying they will not be making anymore Titanium face drivers anymore ??

So if that's true this gimmick (if that's what it is) is here to stay.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
TM saying they will not be making anymore Titanium face drivers anymore ??

So if that's true this gimmick (if that's what it is) is here to stay.
Staying doesnt mean its not a gimmick. From a marketing point of view, differentiation from the competition, not being truly better, is all they need. Anything that feeds the fiction writers in marketing some creative inspiration is all they need. When you cant measure an improvement, then you come up with one like 'forgiveness'. I tip my hat to Taylormade. They are the best in the business at extracting cash from the gullible and the dreamers with more money than reason.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Rumour is of a white version, white was the revolutionary change of the previous decade, it’s needs to be white, with a flex twist shaft x
C/w with a bubble

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
FWIW no difference in my limited testing of Stealth vs Sim 2(both 9* down to 7*).

Curious to try Stealth Plus though. ;) Not bothered carbon or not, if it works it works :)

i*windows

Visit site
it's just marketting guff. No Legal driver can exceed a COR of 0.830 (https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/cor-in-golf-clubs-explained/), which basically means the springyness of the face cannot exceed a certain level, so regardless if you use steel, tittanium, carbon or whatever they cannot get more energy out of the face. Where new drivers differ from older ones is that the mishits from the toe and heel tend to be a little better.

If you are hitting this one better than your old one, it could be a couple of things, 'new driver syndome' where it flies on the demo day and then performs the same as your old driver, or head shaft combo could be better suited.

But if you like it and it puts a smile on your face - and you an afford it buy it :)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The Yes/No issue of gimmick is not easy to fathom.
It seems every new driver must have some element of gimmick.
Marketing with "No great changes in this one, simply newer" is unlikely to pass muster.
The Stealth is probably OK, but we will have a better view in 18 months time.
However, I do feel we have been here before...

adx.jpg

Usually go for about £10-£15 plus postage. I haven't bothered.
"Longest driver on tour" was, I believe, the marketing slogan.

gopher99

Visit site
Not me, I used to own these back in the day. Yonex made their own graphite shafts and used to be one of the best shaft making companies out there, not sure about their golf clubs these days.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They've probably designed it to become unplayably damaged in only a year - same as how iPhones are designed to fail so you have to buy a new one. Too many people are learning that you don't get performance benefits from upgrading your driver every year so TM had to come up with a new method of prompting people to spend their hard-earned.

I've seen drivers that are 6 years old that don't look as bad as the face in that picture!

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
They've probably designed it to become unplayably damaged in only a year - same as how iPhones are designed to fail so you have to buy a new one. Too many people are learning that you don't get performance benefits from upgrading your driver every year so TM had to come up with a new method of prompting people to spend their hard-earned.

I've seen drivers that are 6 years old that don't look as bad as the face in that picture!

Why would they design something to be unplayable in a year when they have a 2 year warranty? This would massively damage their brand & risk losing them sales of their future products.

I hit the same driver I tested my current driver against again yesterday that has been hit hundreds of times & there was no wear on the face.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
it's just marketting guff. No Legal driver can exceed a COR of 0.830x
While this is true, the reality is that tolerances vary hugely. Typically, if the standard says X is max for sth, the manufacturer will choose to make the product that is specified at Y where Y is guaranteed to be < X within a tolerance Z.

In reality, some products will be Y-Z, some Y+Z... and even Y+Z needs to be comfortably below X to avoid a risk of a product recall.

Hence, smaller Z in manufacturing and closer Y to X = higher COR in the product. Also, this explains why there are "hot drivers" (the one that was Y+Z)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
These days it's more to do with the Characteristic Time..the amount of time the ball is in contact with the face..
The limit is 239 but there is a tolerance of 18 so the actual limit is 257 ( whatever unit of measure it is).
Most manufacturers build as close to this 257 limit as they can

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
it's just marketting guff. No Legal driver can exceed a COR of 0.830 (https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/cor-in-golf-clubs-explained/), which basically means the springyness of the face cannot exceed a certain level, so regardless if you use steel, tittanium, carbon or whatever they cannot get more energy out of the face. Where new drivers differ from older ones is that the mishits from the toe and heel tend to be a little better.

If you are hitting this one better than your old one, it could be a couple of things, 'new driver syndome' where it flies on the demo day and then performs the same as your old driver, or head shaft combo could be better suited.

But if you like it and it puts a smile on your face - and you an afford it buy it :)
It's not just COR/CT that govern Driver characteristics. Anything that reduces weight (and the face is about 20gms lighter than a titanium one) means that more weight can be distributed elsewhere in the head - to 'improve' flight characteristics. So there ARE potential advantages to be had. Whether that justifies the cost though is up to the purchaser/user!

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Callaway blows the Stealth out of the water I'd say, and carbon has had its day already by the looks of Crossfield comparing the two who has the Callaway 3 yards longer in his test. That looks conclusive to me. Three whole yards ! Carbon offers a superb marketing opportunity to sell nothing in particular, which is where the real genius of golf driver design lies. There are a lot of people out there who swallow up this sort of nonsense, and Taylormade are well in their rights to collect it from people silly enough to hand it away. You can see why Taylormade are prepared to commit to never making another titanium driver - they dont need to - they have something else that is EXACTLY the same.

Golf clubs closest benchmark these days is the world of fast fashion. Colours, flashes, a bit of graphics, glossy aspirational publicity campaigns, and mainly, get high profile celebs or tour pros to 'wear' the club. There is nothing more to sell, so the wrapping become the good itself. No higher core performance is available, but people like shiny and they like to have this years look. The full link needs to be made in golf clubs now and cut the nonsense about hitting it further, lower dispersion, more forgiveness (whoever though that one up should be getting royalties from the who industry). It would free them from the completely ludicrous bind in which they have tied themselves.

Like a mobile phone from Prada design, or a pen by Porsche.
Golf is a rich man's game. "The Driver - By Dior." I can see Keira Knightley in the advert already. And so on.