Royal Cinque Ports Monday 27th February 2017

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well, what a trip that was - one of my favourite meets on here.

3 of the open courses all done in one trip. Smashing.

Princes - I'd played all 27 holes before in 2 different opens, and managed to play Dunes and shore again on the Sunday in 20 mph winds. Boxman showed the difference between a decent player and a proper player (albeit, he cant putt). 37 points for him and with 3-4 3 putts. 35 points for me, and enjoyed the test again, and I do think it is a slightly under-rated course. Yes, when your cheek by jowl with RCP and RSG, it is the slightly uglier sister, who is still fit, puts out, and makes a fine brekky in the morning for you. A bit like Formby, next to Hillside and Birkdale.:whistle:

The lodge at Princes was a great shout by Birchy. Good food, decent portions, sky sports, small snooker table and a late bar. Lovely spacious rooms, the only down side being 30mph past your window one night.

Nice to eventually catch up with some of the ugly mugs in Deal for a few more bevvies, who had been at Littlestone in the day.

RCP - Arguably as windy and wet as Silloth a few years ago, at another forum meet.

Blob start + blob finish for me, with 35 points sandwiched inbetween. Surely I'd have a decent lead on Fish for our 2 day £10 comp......nosirrribob, he matched me point for point, so well done Robin shooting 35 in that squall. When I heard the prizegiver say "and in 3rd place.....is Fish", I thought he'd beaten me into fourth place. Then I heard who was 2nd - me. :whoo: Well at least that extra £10-15 will pay my bet to him, if I lose. Boxman took the spoils again with a very impressive 37 points (off 4).

Cracking course, and not too bad for an out and back, as some slight direction changes meant not all the back 9 was into the wind. Some nice elevation changes, interesting approach shots required.

Half-watched some footy match in the night between a red and a blue team, cant remember the result.:(

RSG - The weather played ball, but no-one else did.

Hmmm, where to rate RSG - not as good as Birkdale, or Turnberry, but better than Carnoustie, Lytham, Ryl L'pool for me.

Still loved it, would love to play it again, especially on that deal. Oozes class, and no two holes the same. Will return.

Due to wanting to be home before the M25 becomes a car park, seen us have to leave straight after our meal in the snack bar. A shame as your spread looked fantastic.

When I come off, I was surprised to hear that I had overhauled Boxy's 3 point lead on me, to win our group of 4's "3 open course" challenge. Happy with that as didnt think that me and Davey Mac's 33 and 36 points would challange any top 3, thinking that 38 or even a 40 pointer was out there.

Davey and me were cock-a-hoop to find out that we finished 1st and second, but must admit that my catching of "the Fish", was my most valued achievement. I'm thinking of getting a belt made - wonder if they make it in a 32" waist?:whistle:

Loved the whole shebang, and would gladly do it again. Maybe not next year, but not ruling it out either.

Would be boss if we could get a NW gang to come down on mass, maybe even a NW+others vs South would be a good laugh.

So, I can part-pay Robin out now, for when we dont finish 4th. Either that or buy Fish's DVD.:cool:

Great to meet a whole load of the southerners in one go, good lads.

Shame about BIM - catch you another time big man, and hope the missus is on the mend.

Not fair to put it on only the RCP or RSG thread on its own, so will put it on both.

Finally, thanks Simon and Chris, and MJChappers. I know what goes into a meet, and it was great to play in one without all the hassle that it normally takes to organise, so could just enjoy it, which I thoroughly did.

BTW - Royal Cinque ports better than Carnoustie - Now that could be an interesting conversation.

Last edited:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Go on then, even though you've played both courses and have an advantage over me, we all know that people who get a shot on every hole, cant play in the wind.:whistle:

£10 - sum total of the two stableford scores around RCP and RSG?

I think I lost this then by 2 points 😞

35+33=68

35+31=66

It was close,, seems you've laid half your bet off against your finishing position bet 😜

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think I lost this then by 2 points 

35+33=68

35+31=66

It was close,, seems you've laid half your bet off against your finishing position bet 

Oo, closer than what I thought.

My up-and-down-par on the last at RSG helped then.

I havent given up on 4th place yet, but its going go be very, very tight, mate.

Keep the £10 for now, we'll sort it all out at the end of the season.:thup:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Liverbirdie, i do wish you'd seen RCP on a better weather day. I haven't played the other courses you mention but RCP is fabulous on a sunny day! Good to see you guys though and pleased you were able to relax and enjoy it and i do hope you'll come back next year.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Liverbirdie, i do wish you'd seen RCP on a better weather day. I haven't played the other courses you mention but RCP is fabulous on a sunny day! Good to see you guys though and pleased you were able to relax and enjoy it and i do hope you'll come back next year.

Thanks Chris, I loved it even in the bad weather. i honestly think RCP could give Carnoustie a run for its money. Carnoustie was my favourite course for many years, so I dont say that lightly.

I mightn't be able to make next year as doing Turnberry, but fancy it the following year, though, if not.

D

Deleted member 1418

Liverbirdie, i do wish you'd seen RCP on a better weather day. I haven't played the other courses you mention but RCP is fabulous on a sunny day!

Well done - that's put the mockers on the weather if we can arrange to go back in the summer!! :angry: :D

D

Deleted member 1418

About time you had some northern weather to deal with.

I seen loads of palm trees uprooted, when I was down there.;)

😂

Was actually disappointed you northern lads weren't out in shorts on the Monday!! 😀

Fish

Banned
Visit site
We drink em' rather than wear them, as my playing partners will attest to.

Glenmorangie - a horrid malt, so relegated to the hip flask to use up.:thup:

My hip flask was still full when I got home with the same contents as when I left Sunday morning 😳

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I found my old Hip Flask in a bag I hadn't used for 6 years. Had a lovely drop of Jaeger Tee (Austrian Hunting Whiskey). Got me round holes 8-14 in the teeth of the storm :cheers:

Brandy & Ginger (Stones) in mine, forgot all about it, purposely packed it as well knowing the weather conditions :(

It was just head down and crack on, didn't have much time to think about it :eek:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
It doesnt surprise us, we knew how serious you took it.:whoo:

Yeah, that's why I was one of the last to go to bed AFTER you left the pub before last orders, you weren't wearing one of those fancy Liverpudlian ankle bracelets were you 😜😂