Rory hits spectator on the jaw.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Anybody who stands 300yds from the tee at a pro event is trying to get on the tv imo.
It’s the only reason I can think of,
You wouldn’t stand at the end of a firing range, in the road at a Grand Prix.
It’s the worst place you can be.
I have been hit by a ball and it’s not nice.

Or they’re being employed as a forecaddie and need to be roundabout the landing area in order to carry out their job.

Steve Bamford

Head Pro
www.golfbettingsystem.co.uk
In this day and age, tournament organisers could easily take control of the situation. With an official stationed on the tee box, as soon as it becomes clear a drive is errant and in danger of cleaning out a spectator have the ability to blow a horn or have an audible device! Not rocket science.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s the only shot they would see though.
That’s why most grandstands are where you can see couple of tees and the green of one hole.
It’s their choice but I would not stand 300yds off the tee.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did he get a signed Rory golf glove?

Like people have said if you stand around 300 yards from the tee there is a chance the ball will come your way.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Why not have the Marshals shout instead of or as well as waving paddles?

Do you not think they "wave paddles" because any shout is unlikely to be heard at 270-300 yards?
As has been rightly pointed out by several on this thread.
As I said earlier the best people to shout "fore" are marshalls standing at or around those distances ,whose job it would be to look out for the errant ball, or rather the signal from the tee suggesting the ball is headed their way.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you not think they "wave paddles" because any shout is unlikely to be heard at 270-300 yards?
As I said earlier the best people to shout "fore" are marshalls standing at or around those distances ,whose job it would be to look out for the errant ball, or rather the signal from the tee suggesting the ball is headed their way.
Just do both?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What gets me is a pro wangs one and the crowd move for him to play.
They are feet away making a avenue of people for him to hit through.
That shows how good they are.
Imagine trying to play a shot like that?
But they still stick their heads out to see him play.

Crazy how close people stand.

It's amazing that no one gets seriously injured at the pro ams. People stand in silly spots during them when complete hacks are teeing off.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Spent most of yesterday doing that; they were extremely difficult to pick up, by the time you had & had shouted it would be a complete waste of time. And I could clearly hear the pro or caddie who shouted Fore! and meant it at that distance. It wasn't always easy to pick up the signal from the tee, assuming it was correct.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The problem is sometimes compounded of course by some of the places they play. Look at somewhere like Wentworth where it can be notoriously difficult to move around and bottlenecks can form so there are lots of people lining some fairways. Even with a good shout it can be hard then to take evasive action and move out of the way. I'm not sure having restricted areas at the 270-310 mark to minimise spectators would really work in that instance.