Roll ups

D

Deleted member 3432

The problem I have with drawn comps is, my mate who I joined with works all week.
The only time we get to play together is on a Saturday in the comp.
But with a drawn comp that’s not possible!
Is it to stop cheating as suggested.
If anyone is caught cheating they should be thrown out the club.

I see the merit in having a draw for the comp but there is a downside as well.

On balance I prefer drawn comps but am perfectly happy where you can just stick your name down.

The only issue I have is that there are groups playing who have a very rudimentary grasp of many of the rules of golf. Not cheating, just blissfully unaware. Fortunately wild and windy conditions and plenty of heather prevent them threatening leader boards.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
More confusiono_O

So in essence new members may or may not get in the roll up, but them or other members may or may not be able to book a slot immediately after the roll up and then may or may not be able to submit their card as part of the roll up!

I do think roll ups are a great idea and are really popular in some Clubs, the only observation I have is, formally booked slots would benefit some roll ups.

All correct. But the bottom line is that most who wish to play in the rollup manage to get a slot in the 40 for one of the reserved tee times. Those of us who don't can still advise the organiser, complete a card, and submit it for the rollup competition. This worked fine. Now however with rollup being a counting comp I don't know how I will be able to record a score and submit it using IG for it to be included in the competition and therefore included in IG. I can pre-register my round and it will count as a 'counting' round. But it won't be included in whatever adjustments are made to scoring etc based upon the rounds formally part of the comp. Dunno.

Putting the comp aside there are two key things that define our sat rollup (and most if not all rollups). The 'group' meeting up, chat, bantz and goss; the random draw for tee times and who we play with. The former can't happen as a whole group at the moment - the latter continues. And with the latter we also have a bit of the former - so even with formal tee times much of the ethos of the rollup can be maintained. And when things get back to a normal - if we can gather as a group - and even with the tee reservations being retained - we might still choose to have the draw for groups and tee times immediately prior to the first tee time. TBD.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On balance I prefer drawn comps but am perfectly happy where you can just stick your name down.

The only issue I have is that there are groups playing who have a very rudimentary grasp of many of the rules of golf. Not cheating, just blissfully unaware. Fortunately wild and windy conditions and plenty of heather prevent them threatening leader boards.
Yes we have somewhere in the middle .
When you book we can put one other player with us .
The other slots are open to anyone , works well.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play with roughly the same 24 guys every week 3 times a week.

Depending on the day we book the number of slots needed for all the players.

Prior to Covid we all got down the club about hour or so before the first tee time, mug of coffee breakfast for some and a good old chin wag. Work out who is playing with whom. After the round we will spend another hour or so in the clubhouse together, lot more chin wagging putting the world to rights and working out who we have to give money to.

One of the things I have not liked about lockdown is playing with the same 3 guys every time. Not that I dislike them but I do enjoy the variety of chat.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It seems like golfers who have to work in the week, and have outside interests aside from golf, plus plenty of other commitments, ie are not time-rich, are not advantaged by having the number of tee-bookings blocked off for roll-ups at weekends. They pay a 7 day membership for a chance to play at weekends. Then half of Saturday is blocked off for rollups...might work for those who are happy to hang around drinking coffee and 'talking to Gerry" whilst waiting an hour or more to get their golf in, but it's not great for those who are time-poor,

Those that are time poor in our groups let the organiser know what time they want to arrive (they can see what time slots are actually booked online) and he will put them in the appropriate slot.

All tee times are available to all members and each has the same opportunity to book the slot they want. It is just quickest fingers with fastest broadband.

Mandofred

Visit site
Those that are time poor in our groups let the organiser know what time they want to arrive (they can see what time slots are actually booked online) and he will put them in the appropriate slot.

All tee times are available to all members and each has the same opportunity to book the slot they want. It is just quickest fingers with fastest broadband.
All of this....any time we have had a member who needs to get things going for some good reason, they get to go out first in the roll-up.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The rollup I play with, has between 15 & 30 people play at any one time on Saturday & Sunday mornings. Not the same people all the time and over a year something like 100 -120 different people will have joined in.
Some folks are fairly regular, others just occasional. Your mate on holiday? Turn up to the rollup instead. New member - turn up to the rollup. Run out of pocket money. Turn up to the rollup and hope to clear up. Fancy meeting loads of folk - turn up to the rollup.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
at my club you still have to book on BRS, but then a draw happens on the day

Same at ours, on a weds and fri if you book on BRS between 9.30 and 10.45 that's the rollup times, "Fiddle". Under normal circumstances meet in the clubhouse for ball to drawn out , organiser welcomes new faces if any , accommodates anyone who wants to go out early and alerts us to any tee times booked by non Fiddlers. During covid times just book into a slot and then send score to organiser