Roll ups

Mandofred

Visit site
Thing is though if the said players didn’t play in the roll up they would just book times anyway.
So the amount of tees avaliable is just the same .
We don’t have block booking if you want to play in the roll up you book your own tee time and put your fiver in the tea caddy.
What’s app tells you the results.
I know I've said this before.....but for people who like "roll-ups", this isn't a roll-up. It's a way you and your friends have a arranged a friendly comp. Without the jabbering before and after.....just isn't the same.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is exactly what I do.
Golf is a day out for me.
If you don’t have the time you will one day.!

This is exactly why I play my golf at a par 3 course, I don’t have to take more than two hours out my day for golf. I can tee off at 8 and be home before half 9 even with a busy course.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know I've said this before.....but for people who like "roll-ups", this isn't a roll-up. It's a way you and your friends have a arranged a friendly comp. Without the jabbering before and after.....just isn't the same.

You're right. It's just making the best of a bad covid situation.

Our club is similar. There were 3 or 4 volunteers who said they would run the roll ups last season. An email with their numbers. You just messaged the person who's roll up was at the time you fancied and put your name down. It was a random draw and everyone got a game. It worked well. Especially for new members.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I share the view that rollups are a fantastic way to integrate into a club where you don't know many members and is a fun way to play competitive golf.

However, my concern is that as a result of COVID, my club introduced booking systems, as I am sure many others have done. I suspect that will now remain as it has worked well in between lockdowns. I don't know how roll ups will be accommodated then, unless some sort of block booking is permitted. That may be some way off given that tee times will invariably be very busy for the next few months at least!

Boomy

Visit site
It’s sounds fab in principle, a great way to meet people and very social. But highly impractical for a lot of people I’d say and especially in the current Covid world. Perhaps something that can be ran during the week and/or when things settle down.

I personally think all club competitions should be drawn randomly rather than people booking with their mates! I’ve not played in comps at my new club yet but I’ve already heard quite a few grumbles about the same people playing together in comps. Every previous club I’ve been at (2) has always drawn competition tees. That’s a great way to meet new people.

I’ve met loads of cracking new people at the club by just putting my name down at different times on BRS booking. It is still possible to book and meet new people.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I don't know if it's going to be relevant in the long run but I wonder if the booking systems may have to stay in place to provide some form of traceability in the event of another outbreak..?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I share the view that rollups are a fantastic way to integrate into a club where you don't know many members and is a fun way to play competitive golf.

However, my concern is that as a result of COVID, my club introduced booking systems, as I am sure many others have done. I suspect that will now remain as it has worked well in between lockdowns. I don't know how roll ups will be accommodated then, unless some sort of block booking is permitted. That may be some way off given that tee times will invariably be very busy for the next few months at least!

My place is the same.

Before Covid no tee booking system for casual play and strong opposition to one - but covid has meant we had to implement one and it has worked better than I had feared. The rollups had to negotiate with the club and we managed to secure a block of ten tee times Saturday from 10:30 but it wasn’t easy. We managed as the club recognises the important part the rollups play in the whole nature and ethos of the club, and the Sat am rollup in particular plays in integrating new members into the club, and of course as for all our rollups it is open to all. And on a weekly basis it is first come first served for the 40 places in the draw.

Will the tee booking system be permanent? Almost certain that the club will organise a vote of the membership. Though we normally leave all matters to our elected representatives (including as discussed elsewhere the level of our subs) I think that this one will be put to the membership.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

I don't know if it's going to be relevant in the long run but I wonder if the booking systems may have to stay in place to provide some form of traceability in the event of another outbreak..?

At the moment it’s there until June but i can see a lot of clubs keeping it - I think a lot of the “rock up and play” clubs have seen the benefits of the tee bookings and will stick with it

And Roll ups can exist within tee bookings - various ways for it to work , a tee booking sheet won’t mean the death of rolls ups like some predict

2 ways - the club set aside tee times for the main roll ups , a draw is done people get put in their tee time , people can meet up before hand as well and then go and play but also the poor buggers that get draw out last don’t have to hang around waiting for an hour to tee off etc

Or what we have done - pre draw , book your tee times , meet up before hand if you want , have the crack and laugh afterwards.

Things evolve and a club I suspect will do what’s best for the members

But there goes a time when long standing historic rolls ups need to understand that peoples needs change and sometimes a group of 20/30 dominating a tee isn’t always a good thing

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
At the moment it’s there until June but i can see a lot of clubs keeping it - I think a lot of the “rock up and play” clubs have seen the benefits of the tee bookings and will stick with it

And Roll ups can exist within tee bookings - various ways for it to work , a tee booking sheet won’t mean the death of rolls ups like some predict

2 ways - the club set aside tee times for the main roll ups , a draw is done people get put in their tee time , people can meet up before hand as well and then go and play but also the poor buggers that get draw out last don’t have to hang around waiting for an hour to tee off etc

Or what we have done - pre draw , book your tee times , meet up before hand if you want , have the crack and laugh afterwards.

Things evolve and a club I suspect will do what’s best for the members

But there goes a time when long standing historic rolls ups need to understand that peoples needs change and sometimes a group of 20/30 dominating a tee isn’t always a good thing
Just as we do it. At the moment the 'gathering' aspect is clearly out and is really missed by all - but hopefully that will return later in the year - Tee booking or no. Whether we return to doing the draw on the Saturday morning immediately prior to the first tee time I don't know - but in our democratic way I am sure that all who participate in the rollup will express their opinion and a vote is likely.

D

Deleted member 16999

My place is the same.

Before Covid no tee booking system for casual play and strong opposition to one - but covid has meant we had to implement one and it has worked better than I had feared. The rollups had to negotiate with the club and we managed to secure a block of ten tee times Saturday from 10:30 but it wasn’t easy. We managed as the club recognises the important part the rollups play in the whole nature and ethos of the club, and the Sat am rollup in particular plays in integrating new members into the club, and of course as for all our rollups it is open to all. And on a weekly basis it is first come first served for the 40 places in the draw.

Will the tee booking system be permanent? Almost certain that the club will organise a vote of the membership. Though we normally leave all matters to our elected representatives (including as discussed elsewhere the level of our subs) I think that this one will be put to the membership.
Re the bit in bold, aren’t you contradicting yourself? If it’s first come first served how can you guarantee integrating new members or, if you are guaranteeing a new member a slot then it’s not first come first served as you no longer have 40 slots available.

Mandofred

Visit site
The booking system is here to stay. No argument from me at all on that. We went to the BRS well before the lockdowns, they just blocked out certain parts of the day/week for certain groups. Example: the ladies have I think 2 hours (9-11?) or so on Tuesday mornings, nobody else can book in those times. They block times off for the comps, so it's the same effort to block other times.

I've only been at this club for about 5.5yrs....they have always drawn Medals, but a lot of other comps they still allow friends to play....not sure why. From what I had heard, they went to the draws for Medals because there was a bit of cheating going on. One group of guys evidently "arranged" for one of them to get a 2 on the par 3's every time....they switched who got it each time.

evemccc

Visit site
The booking system is here to stay. No argument from me at all on that. We went to the BRS well before the lockdowns, they just blocked out certain parts of the day/week for certain groups. Example: the ladies have I think 2 hours (9-11?) or so on Tuesday mornings, nobody else can book in those times. They block times off for the comps, so it's the same effort to block other times.

I've only been at this club for about 5.5yrs....they have always drawn Medals, but a lot of other comps they still allow friends to play....not sure why. From what I had heard, they went to the draws for Medals because there was a bit of cheating going on. One group of guys evidently "arranged" for one of them to get a 2 on the par 3's every time....they switched who got it each time.

That’s pretty pathetic to be cheating at golf - bet he feels good about himself

I’ve only known draws for club medals but it’s a great situation - get to meet new people and play with different people each time out ??

D

Deleted member 3432

It’s sounds fab in principle, a great way to meet people and very social. But highly impractical for a lot of people I’d say and especially in the current Covid world. Perhaps something that can be ran during the week and/or when things settle down.

I personally think all club competitions should be drawn randomly rather than people booking with their mates! I’ve not played in comps at my new club yet but I’ve already heard quite a few grumbles about the same people playing together in comps. Every previous club I’ve been at (2) has always drawn competition tees. That’s a great way to meet new people.

I’ve met loads of cracking new people at the club by just putting my name down at different times on BRS booking. It is still possible to book and meet new people.

I found it odd when I first joined a few years back not having drawn comps. Reason was with the membership travelling from all over the county and beyond, many travelled together so having drawn comps was going to leave people hanging around.

I work shifts and can't play every comp, my midweek partner likes to play at 11ish on weekends which is the worst of all worlds for me so I just stick my name down in any old gap early or late.

Works well for me and not many that I have tried to avoid since playing with them. Can't say if they think the same after playing with me :ROFLMAO:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Re the bit in bold, aren’t you contradicting yourself? If it’s first come first served how can you guarantee integrating new members or, if you are guaranteeing a new member a slot then it’s not first come first served as you no longer have 40 slots available.
Indeed at the moment that can't be guaranteed - but new members seem to have managed to get into the draw on a regular basis. But yes - it is something we have to look at to see how we accommodate new members as it is very important aspect of what the rollup is. What has been happening in practice is that if I do not get into the 40 then I book a slot in a tee time as soon after the last reserved tee time as possible. And we all know to do that (including new members) - so the same 'getting to know you' ethos of the rollup is maintained.

So even if I don't get into the 40 I almost always managed to get a slot in a tee time immediately following the rollup - so essentially remaining part of it and able to play in it if I want - though as we haven't done this since WHS came in I'm not sure how our 'cards' would be included in the comp. I guess I can always as in individual pre-register my round as a counting round. But we'll address that issue when it comes to it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s the only way to do it now.
We never had a booking system pre COVID and just rolled up at 10am.
But that’s not allowed now .
I can’t see us going back and the booking system is here to stay.

The roll ups really generated revenue for the club in food and drink.
I think the booking system will stop a chunk of this , not all but quite a bit as people get used to just going home after playing.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I found it odd when I first joined a few years back not having drawn comps. Reason was with the membership travelling from all over the county and beyond, many travelled together so having drawn comps was going to leave people hanging around.

I work shifts and can't play every comp, my midweek partner likes to play at 11ish on weekends which is the worst of all worlds for me so I just stick my name down in any old gap early or late.

Works well for me and not many that I have tried to avoid since playing with them. Can't say if they think the same after playing with me :ROFLMAO:
The problem I have with drawn comps is, my mate who I joined with works all week.
The only time we get to play together is on a Saturday in the comp.
But with a drawn comp that’s not possible!
Is it to stop cheating as suggested.
If anyone is caught cheating they should be thrown out the club.

I see the merit in having a draw for the comp but there is a downside as well.

D

Deleted member 16999

Indeed at the moment that can't be guaranteed - but new members seem to have managed to get into the draw on a regular basis. But yes - it is something we have to look at to see how we accommodate new members as it is very important aspect of what the rollup is. What has been happening in practice is that if I do not get into the 40 then I book a slot in a tee time as soon after the last reserved tee time as possible. And we all know to do that (including new members) - so the same 'getting to know you' ethos of the rollup is maintained.

So even if I don't get into the 40 I almost always managed to get a slot in a tee time immediately following the rollup - so essentially remaining part of it and able to play in it if I want - though as we haven't done this since WHS came in I'm not sure how our 'cards' would be included in the comp. I guess I can always as in individual pre-register my round as a counting round. But we'll address that issue when it comes to it.
More confusiono_O

So in essence new members may or may not get in the roll up, but them or other members may or may not be able to book a slot immediately after the roll up and then may or may not be able to submit their card as part of the roll up!

I do think roll ups are a great idea and are really popular in some Clubs, the only observation I have is, formally booked slots would benefit some roll ups.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
at my club you still have to book on BRS, but then a draw happens on the day

my old club trialed and idea of when putting your name down for a comp you could choose a slot say 0730 - 0830; 0830 - 0930 etc then you get drawn in that time slot.