Roll Back Discussion

Jason.H

Visit site
Although... If it got to club golfer level I think there's still a lot of courses that might have to shorten tees and move bunkers ;)

I think they will just be rated to suit. Our course the big hitters fly the fairway bunkers.
Depends if the aim is 10 /20% shorter. Taking 10 % off Rory he’s still 300 yards off the tee.

Swango1980

Visit site
We should also remove the bounce from wedges. Stop green staff from immaculately preparing golf courses. Remove all yardage markers and distance measuring devices. Let us get back to playing golf exactly as it was played in the 19th century (except, we'll still let women play) :)

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
We should also remove the bounce from wedges. Stop green staff from immaculately preparing golf courses. Remove all yardage markers and distance measuring devices. Let us get back to playing golf exactly as it was played in the 19th century (except, we'll still let women play) :)

Why stop there 🤷🏼‍♂️

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
No. That is just absurd, and missing the point. Advocating a shorter ball does not imply all the above. Even if you arent saying it, you are tainting by association which I dont think is fair.
There is a lot of merit in a shorter ball for everyone.
In this scenario, its a given for 3 if not all 4 majors, all world and national amateur competitions. So low golfer, college aspirant pros, etc, will adopt it early.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
nd I find it hugely ironic that someone who , only days ago, was saying you'll only lower your handicap by hitting it further now wants everyone to get worse by hitting it shorter....

Maybe, just maybe....the authorities now know how much gain there is to be had with hitting the ball as far as possible, reigning it back will help level the playing field somewhat.

The fact that this rule will very, very likely not apply to 95% of golfers, the point still stands.

All for some birfurcation. And then if that bleeds into the amateur game and it just becomes that the rolled back ball is used across all areas of the game, then I am here for that too. Players will hopefully tee it up further forward. Enjoy the game more. In an even more unpopular opinion, maybe it does shrink the game, and numbers playing the game go down. Reduce traffic on courses, more availability of tee times, cheaper green fees (ha) etc.

Happy to embrace the change.

The fact it won't happen to the pro game until 2026 means it is a loooong way from touching the amateur game to the level we all play it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A massive majority of golfers will never hit the ball more than 250 yards.....
There must be an awful lot of very, very short courses out there...
I can hit it 250-270..I can't remember the last time I overpowered a golf course...with the greatest of respects to Fragger..he is NEVER, EVER, going to overpower any course other than a pitch n putt......
The excess distance debate relates to less than 0.5% of the golfing community.
Do what you like with them, give them a tournament ball, change manufacturer every week..whatever...they play a different game to us anyway
But rolling back the ball for amateur golfers is a bad idea.

And I find it hugely ironic that someone who , only days ago, was saying you'll only lower your handicap by hitting it further now wants everyone to get worse by hitting it shorter....
Agree with you. If they said we all had to use a ball that goes 10 or 15% less distance I'd probably end up giving up golf. All but the shortest courses would become a chore hitting woods or hybrid for every second shot. Also not sure how you'd police it, surely people would just stock up on current balls and potentially keep using them for years to come.

It should be something that affects the professionals only.

D-S

Visit site
I’m asking on here who seem giddy about a rollback.

Utah is 6000ft above sea level, that course wouldn’t be that long at sea level.
I played on the Robert Trent Jones Trail in Alabama a few years ago - a couple of courses there were over 8,000 yards at sea level. From memory I think they were Figting Joe and the Schoolmaster at Muscle Shoals. Great courses, not the best we played on the trail, but very playable especially off the 6,500 yard tees I played off. Good fun to stop and stand on some of the back tees but then jumping back on the cart to drive on to a normal tee.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Agree with you. If they said we all had to use a ball that goes 10 or 15% less distance I'd probably end up giving up golf. All but the shortest courses would become a chore hitting woods or hybrid for every second shot. Also not sure how you'd police it, surely people would just stock up on current balls and potentially keep using them for years to come.

It should be something that affects the professionals only.

No, you’ll enjoy it more. Being shorter off the tee is now more fun just like back in the old days!

There is the added benefit that being shorter off the tee would make us all more accurate, so we’d hit more fairways and lower our handicaps.

Win win.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Should it progress it'll be interesting seeing how the manufacturers react. Some may abandon the elite market.
First thing I thought.
what if the manufacturer just refuse to make this ball.?
most pros get them free so no profit from them.
the profit comes from us playing the ball the pros play.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

would there be anywhere to park my horse?
can’t think of any other sport that wants to go backwards.

Mandofred

Visit site
As usual, nobody is going to change their minds.....IFFFF they adjust the ball, some will like it and some won't.....and short of a stick of dynamite up their backsides they will not change their view no matter what.

I'm fine if they adjust all golf balls to go a little less far. I'll adjust. It's still golf. I'll still be hitting the ball further than the people I do now.....and getting outhit by the same people who hit it further now.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why don't they just get rid of the driver, reduce to 13 club maximum and put a limit on the length and loft of the 3 wood.
Fans love seeing the pros smashing driver so can't see them scrapping that. When they limited the length of the shaft though maybe they could have gone further and limit the loft - no lower than 9.5° say, since a lot of them were using 8, 7.5 etc.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
And I find it hugely ironic that someone who , only days ago, was saying you'll only lower your handicap by hitting it further now wants everyone to get worse by hitting it shorter....

If that is aimed at me, and really is your understanding, then you seem to be missing both the hit it further to lower your score, and the case for golf and golf course improvement by slowing the ball.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why don't they just get rid of the driver, reduce to 13 club maximum and put a limit on the length and loft of the 3 wood.

See, this is a change I could really get behind. But I'd limit to 10 clubs. I think it would bring a lot more benefit to the game than any ball change, and bring benefit at all levels for a variety of different reasons