Roll Back Discussion

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Reducing the distance pros hit the ball seems like a good idea. Will speed up play and it'll be nice to see them hitting more than a wedge into most holes.
As for the rest of us, I doubt it'll make much difference.
The amount of wailing and nashing of teeth on here makes it sound like a titleist shareholders meeting.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Rolling back won’t make any difference. The long hitters will still be long hitters. It will probably just give them even more of an advantage.
This is a fallacy. The smaller the distance range the lower the advantage of length. Reining in the distance does reduce the advantage of distance over other elements of the game. Golf was nicely balanced between distance, precision, shot variety, shortgame, putting, strategy. Distance has outgrown it share in the last 25 year. Time to restore the balance of the universe.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The easiest way to limit the ball distance is to keep the size the same but make make it lighter, this impacts longer hitters greater than shorter hitters.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They feel golfers have been deceived for too long and want to come clean : all drivers are the same, shaft flexes makes no difference to the shot, and club 'fitting' has less scientific basis than voodoo.

D

Deleted member 31467

They govern the rules for both.
Not sure that is correct, they govern the rules of golf but not the tours. The tours can do whatever they want as long as they abide by the rules of golf I believe.

Jason.H

Visit site
The easiest way to limit the ball distance is to keep the size the same but make make it lighter, this impacts longer hitters greater than shorter hitters.

And what about the billions of balls in circulation? I agree with what your saying by the way but can’t see any change in the ball tbh.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
And what about the billions of balls in circulation? I agree with what your saying by the way but can’t see any change in the ball tbh.
Its not that bad. 1.2bn balls manufactured per year, over 400 million lost. A few stages of ramping to the new ball over 5 or 6 years would be no problem.
This could be the biggest change in golf since steel shafts dropped.
They must to it right. Not just out the brake on. Not just stall where we are. We need average PGAT drive back to 265, average 15hc back to 200. So many courses I would like to play again now that they would be back in scale.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thats great news. I was hoping for 30 or 40 yards, but will take 20. Elite golf tomorrow, in 5 years time , the world. Rejoice !

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

Why should any change impact longer hitters rather than shorter hitters?