Roll Back Discussion

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
What does it matter how far the pros hit the ball?

Are the powers that be going to stop them training too ?
Longer hitting has damaged the quality of golf courses worldwide. Most of it has come from equioment. Not the gym. Thats why the average golfer has got longer. Even high handicappers. It isnt because the 25hc is pumping iron at 6am.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Longer hitting has damaged the quality of golf courses worldwide. Most of it has come from equioment. Not the gym. Thats why the average golfer has got longer. Even high handicappers. It isnt because the 25hc is pumping iron at 6am.

Seriously, how many courses have been ruined because amateurs have gained a few yards?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Seriously, how many courses have been ruined because amateurs have gained a few yards?
More or less all of them built before the millenium. Well not ruined. But damaged. Shorter ball will be a terrifiic uograde to so many of those courses. So much better than extending tees, moving bunkers, etc

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Marketing departments of the ball manufacturers have this covered though. With ball distance limit, as when a longer driver was no longer possible, we will be entering the era of the "more forgiving" golf ball. You heard it here first !

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
My driver goes too far....said no Amateur....ever!
Many dont know. They are too new to the game. They have grown up on the false god of the longer drive for the last 25 years. Without knowing how it has degraded the play of courses themselves.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A massive majority of golfers will never hit the ball more than 250 yards.....
There must be an awful lot of very, very short courses out there...
I can hit it 250-270..I can't remember the last time I overpowered a golf course...with the greatest of respects to Fragger..he is NEVER, EVER, going to overpower any course other than a pitch n putt......
The excess distance debate relates to less than 0.5% of the golfing community.
Do what you like with them, give them a tournament ball, change manufacturer every week..whatever...they play a different game to us anyway
But rolling back the ball for amateur golfers is a bad idea.

And I find it hugely ironic that someone who , only days ago, was saying you'll only lower your handicap by hitting it further now wants everyone to get worse by hitting it shorter....

Jason.H

Visit site
I wonder how many manufacturers will be keen? Maybe a solitary regulation Tour ball?
A minimum driver loft of 12 degrees would be an easy check at your comps.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
More or less all of them built before the millenium. Well not ruined. But damaged. Shorter ball will be a terrifiic uograde to so many of those courses. So much better than extending tees, moving bunkers, etc

Although... If it got to club golfer level I think there's still a lot of courses that might have to shorten tees and move bunkers ;)

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
So it looks like they are keeping the maximum ball speed, but increasing the speed of the robot in the test ( from 120 to 127mph club head).

So in real terms its rolling back the ball. About 12mph

Rumour is its a model local rule for 'elite' Competition. Its not really clear just how elite the competition should be. PGA, LPGA, Amatuer championships, no idea.

But bifurcation...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There could be a problem at the crossover between amateur and elite amateur/Pro games.
An amateur, using the "old" ball will be longer, and therefore lower, than with the new ball
Once they have progressed to the elite ranks they now have to use the new, short ball
They may now not be long enough to compete....and could stifle progress to the Pro ranks
It could all get very messy