Rocket Launcher mats

Boomy

Visit site
1. There is no advantage gained if everyone is using them properly.
2. It certainly doesn't mask mis-hits, in fact, I'd say it makes them worse.
3. There is no 'real turf' at this time of year anyway & preserves playing surfaces for the warmer seasons.
4. If you can put in enough Q scores then WHS will quickly reflect the winter conditions & then return to 'normal' in April..... if there really is a 'normal' any more.

I think I need to reiterate my very clear point that I 100% agree with using mats to preserve fairways through winter - I just don’t agree with qualifiers being played whilst using mats.

1. The advantage I talked of clearly states it to the lie of the ball. Not an advantage against other players.
2. If you honestly believe using a mat doesn’t mask miss hits then I’m lost for words (and wonder if you use mats or practice on them at the range)
3. And again I reference my point that I fully agree with using mats to preserve the real turf for the golfing season - my point was ones handicap should be based on playing on a golf course, not on a mat. Hence my point qualifiers shouldn’t count off artificial surfaces.
4. I’m guessing you might be retired and have time to put a lot of Q cards in? I work full time and certainly wouldn’t (couldn’t) be putting enough cards in to get a true “winter handicap” only to have to put proper playing condition cards in (played off grass) to get a real reflection April onwards.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
EG has no role in making the Equipment Rules. That is the function of the R&A/USGA.
EG may not have any role to play in making decisions about equipment, but he is not claiming they have. All he is saying is that EG have stated that they will accept qualifying scores from rounds where the golfer used a mat on a fairway, and that is everything to do with EG.

My club have put out a statement to that effect, fairway mats are mandatory and yes we can still submit a qualifying score, if we are daft enough to want to, which I'm not.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
2. If you honestly believe using a mat doesn’t mask miss hits then I’m lost for words (and wonder if you use mats or practice on them at the range)

...a little "fat" off a mat = decent(ish) shot

...a little "fat" off a soggy fairway = face full of mud and ball 50 yards short of target! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just Googled the Rocket Launcher mat and it appears your ball sits in a hole in the middle - why would you want that?? Isn't it like hitting out of a small divot every time?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think I need to reiterate my very clear point that I 100% agree with using mats to preserve fairways through winter - I just don’t agree with qualifiers being played whilst using mats.

1. The advantage I talked of clearly states it to the lie of the ball. Not an advantage against other players.
3. And again I reference my point that I fully agree with using mats to preserve the real turf for the golfing season - my point was ones handicap should be based on playing on a golf course, not on a mat. Hence my point qualifiers shouldn’t count off artificial surfaces.
4. I’m guessing you might be retired and have time to put a lot of Q cards in? I work full time and certainly wouldn’t (couldn’t) be putting enough cards in to get a true “winter handicap” only to have to put proper playing condition cards in (played off grass) to get a real reflection April onwards.
With such aversion, I guess you haven't much experience of using a mat on the course..... certainly seems that way if you think that a Driving Range mat produces the same results as a fairway mat... unbelievable.
A golf H/cap should be for all seasons all conditions..... was one of the reasons Rick Garg was so highly regarded on this Forum. Was a Cat 1 golfer who wasn't precious about it & went out in all conditions. Remember it 'recreational' golf that we play.

D

Deleted member 3432

With such aversion, I guess you haven't much experience of using a mat on the course..... certainly seems that way if you think that a Driving Range mat produces the same results as a fairway mat... unbelievable.
A golf H/cap should be for all seasons all conditions..... was one of the reasons Rick Garg was so highly regarded on this Forum. Was a Cat 1 golfer who wasn't precious about it & went out in all conditions. Remember it 'recreational' golf that we play.

Sorry but I don't understand this obsession with submitting qualifying scores year round in the UK.

Massive difference in weather, temps etc between Home Counties, Lake District, East Lothian and North West Scotland for example.

Fortunately as golfers we have the option to decide whether to submit a score or not and it doesn't make you lesser regarded in my eyes if you choose not too, especially at this time of the year.

Recreational golf is just that, some people are taking the new handicap system and the golf union directives too seriously.

Boomy

Visit site

Ha ha good grief ? Are you able to read comments ok? You seem to interpret whatever you want out of my comments and then reply with utter rubbish.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ha ha good grief ? Are you able to read comments ok? You seem to interpret whatever you want out of my comments and then reply with utter rubbish.
I guess it's Wakey, wakey time for you as many people want to continue to play Competitions through the winter with H/caps being adjusted where possible to keep things fair as well as protecting the course. Please tell me how you can do that without some adaption to playing conditions?

Boomy

Visit site
I guess it's Wakey, wakey time for you as many people want to continue to play Competitions through the winter with H/caps being adjusted where possible to keep things fair as well as protecting the course. Please tell me how you can do that without some adaption to playing conditions?

Wakey Wakey ? That’s great, I hope it works well for those who choose to play off artificial surfaces whilst submitting scoring cards. To be fair it may help bring some handicaps down! I personally will play social games to keep ticking over through winter and submit my cards again once playing off turf and proper tee’s. From the replies I’ve seen, and conversations I’ve had I’d say the majority will do the same.

sunshine

Visit site
I just Googled the Rocket Launcher mat and it appears your ball sits in a hole in the middle - why would you want that?? Isn't it like hitting out of a small divot every time?

I was curious about this rocket launcher thing - sounded dangerous / illegal / exciting. I was very disappointed to discover it's just a bit of plastic.

I found a promotional youtube video which said the product was engineered from a molecular level to feel exactly like turf :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Also selling ultra flexible tees (a rubber driving mat tee) claiming this equals greater distance :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

John Evans 9

Visit site
To sum up: in winter it may be compulsory to play from fairway mats but it’s not compulsory to play in competitions.
I have lots to learn about golf but I’m not learning much about this subject.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I guess EG will always have problems with 'the old school' golfers.
EDIT..... :cool::cool:

Last edited:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I've been using the Rocket Launcher aka Smart Mat for a few years. They're fine to use but on short shots it is easy to get right underneath them, so I've just reverted back to the plastic fairway mat.