Rocket Launcher mats

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our County Handicap Advisor sent out the following message today:

'England Golf has received queries from a few clubs and individual golfers regarding the use of small plastic/rubber strips, commonly marketed as a "Preferred Lie Winter Rules Smart Mat" or a "Launch Mat". Others are asking exactly what defines a 'fairway mat'.

England Golf determines that a 'mat' is one made of astroturf or similar. Their use is to protect the course, and must not provide the player with any advantage.

The use of such a mat as the 'Launch Mat' or 'Smart Mat' obviously gives any player using one a potential advantage over another. Consequently, such a mat would not be allowed, as their use would be a breach of Rule of Golf 4.3. '

Golfnut1957

Visit site
This is our third year of mats being compulsory when playing from the fairway. What is different this year is where in previous years there was an option to drop in the rough, that option is now removed. They are looking to protect the rough as much as the fairway.

I've mentioned this before, but it really does make a difference. This can be seen best on our par 5 2nd. A hole where very few people go for it in two as the risk far outweighs the reward. Consequently, the vast majority lay up in the same area, the top of a large swale 100 yds short of the green.

In previous years, by the time spring had arrived this area resembled a ploughed field, but in the last couple of years the mats have prevented the worst of the damage ensuring that the course recovers from the ravages of winter so much more quickly.

As for which mat, there is only one worth considering, the Spurk.

https://spurkgolf.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0K...XxLiaKJBdt8KFY0g-5YD5AtlRgM4hEvQaAkgDEALw_wcB

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

'England Golf has received queries from a few clubs and individual golfers regarding the use of small plastic/rubber strips, commonly marketed as a "Preferred Lie Winter Rules Smart Mat" or a "Launch Mat". Others are asking exactly what defines a 'fairway mat'.

England Golf determines that a 'mat' is one made of astroturf or similar. Their use is to protect the course, and must not provide the player with any advantage.

The use of such a mat as the 'Launch Mat' or 'Smart Mat' obviously gives any player using one a potential advantage over another. Consequently, such a mat would not be allowed, as their use would be a breach of Rule of Golf 4.3. '
Interesting. The same note has been posted in my county but the EG manager denies knowledge of it. Further, I was advised some years ago by the R&A that they conformed.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Some at my club use them, I do not see any advantage they provide any other mat.
A sturdy astro mat is certainly the best for playing tricky chips over bunkers from what would be a very tight lie.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Might this see a legal battle to rival the Ping vs the PGA & USGA over the box grooves back in the late 1980s/early 1990s. ;)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My wife has just pointed out to me that many players use the 'reverse' side of the astroturf type mats rather than the 'grassy' side. Presumably they believe it gives 'potential advantage over another'.
In fact when I use one I place the ball right on the back nearside corner so there is nothing behind the ball. It is virtually playing off a 3/4" tee. But of course there is no advantage to me ;).

D

Deleted member 1147

I used one of the astroturf type mats, and sawed the blades of "grass" down so that it would sit flatter to the ground.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve never been asked to use one, that being said I’d be happy to use the spurk one. Casts are definitely an issue now you can’t treat them. The issue is both my past course and current course allow restricted p&p and it would be impossible to police the usage of mats, completely different on a members course.

I’m aware of a course in Kent that has just put 30,000 tons of sand dressing in its fairways which has virtually eliminated any casting. The initial amount seems high but the reckon if it’s done annually around November they will gradually reduce the required volume with a target of 5000 tons being in sight over a 5 year reduction plan.

I think this is a great idea as it will also add an element of drainage and is completely natural. A very forward thinking idea on my view.

Boomy

Visit site
In my humble opinion it doesn’t matter whether it’s a smart mat, rocket mat, astroturf, or whatever else is permitted as long as it’s being used correctly to protect the fairway. It’s winter golf, qualifiers (counting scores) shouldn’t be played off mats full stop as it’s not real and winter golf is purely to keep ticking over.

Boomy

Visit site
In your very humble opinion. England Golf says the opposite.

Very humble indeed. Any mat will mask issues with the ball strike (and make it a lot easier most of the time) It’s not real play, it’s assisted play and perfectly fine for ticking over winter golf but not for a qualifying score. Just because England Golf say it doesn’t make it right.

John Evans 9

Visit site
Very humble indeed. Any mat will mask issues with the ball strike (and make it a lot easier most of the time) It’s not real play, it’s assisted play and perfectly fine for ticking over winter golf but not for a qualifying score. Just because England Golf say it doesn’t make it right.
You can disagree with it but I think you’ll find that if EG say it, then that does make it right. Is your club playing qualifiers with mats ?

Boomy

Visit site
You can disagree with it but I think you’ll find that if EG say it, then that does make it right. Is your club playing qualifiers with mats ?

Nope, if EG say it then that makes it a ruling, it doesn’t make it right. Yes they are, and there are a lot of members, who like me don’t agree with it (I 100% agree with using mats to protect the course I may add) As previously stated, playing off mats isn’t real golf, it gives an advantage to the lie and masks a lot is miss hits in comparison to playing off real turf. Fine for social golf, fine for winter ‘fun’ competitions but not for official scoring in my very humble opinion.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In your very humble opinion. England Golf says the opposite.
Apparently not.
The note that was sent out was unauthorised and a 'correction' will be issued.
I am told "England Golf has not and will not make specific decisions around the acceptable usage of a type of mat, other than to stick with the CONGU guidance that it should be AstroTurf or similar." Note the use of the word 'should' as opposed to 'must'.
Clarification from the R&A Equipment Dept will be sought. But because of the possible commercial ramifications, if the R&A ultimately do decide to change anything it is unlikely to be anytime soon IMO.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nope, if EG say it then that makes it a ruling, it doesn’t make it right. Yes they are, and there are a lot of members, who like me don’t agree with it (I 100% agree with using mats to protect the course I may add) As previously stated, playing off mats isn’t real golf, it gives an advantage to the lie and masks a lot is miss hits in comparison to playing off real turf. Fine for social golf, fine for winter ‘fun’ competitions but not for official scoring in my very humble opinion.

1. There is no advantage gained if everyone is using them properly.
2. It certainly doesn't mask mis-hits, in fact, I'd say it makes them worse.
3. There is no 'real turf' at this time of year anyway & preserves playing surfaces for the warmer seasons.
4. If you can put in enough Q scores then WHS will quickly reflect the winter conditions & then return to 'normal' in April..... if there really is a 'normal' any more.