Rocket Launcher mats

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
We're now onto winter rules at my place, and that means mats all round... our pro sells the rocket launcher mat; a thin plastic strip with a wee hole for the ball. I've always been feart of the regular fairway mats as I always envisage myself sending the mat further down the fairway than the ball!

I had a try of one a few days back and hated it. It just didn't suit my eye at all, and the mat launched the ball far too high for my liking to the point I felt I was losing a club's distance just in the launch height. They did generate a shed-load of spin though.

I went to a local garden centre and bought a 18" x 18" square of plastic-backed artificial turf for £6; much better and had my best winter league performance (42pts) to date with it..

What fairway mats do you use in winter, or are you a lift-and-drop-into-the-first-cut person?

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I have to use one then I find the Rocket Launcher better than the squares of astro turf. Mind you I'm rarely on the fairways these days anyway :eek:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
let me get this right...........you carry around a wee piece of plastic grass and put your ball on that and play every shot..........?

There isnt a big enough laughing smiley for that:rolleyes:

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
which is all well and good in the home counties, but 550 miles north the grass does not grow for a good 3 months so need s protection.
I'm about as far from you as you can get, but we've just introduced mats, they're compulsory between dec and end of feb.

I support it, it's to protect the course ready for the centenary next year.

We do get a bit wet, the fairways can suffer so I'm all for this.

Our comps are still qualifiers even with them, which I don't really understand.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our club is compulsory for winter months to let the fairways repair.... absolutely torturous things!!!

They give you the multimats for free but hate them... paid a tenner for the rocket launcher thing but not much better!

Our club let you place in the light rough as long as same distance but sometimes this isn't suitable if it just gives you more hazards in your line... try to place and play as much as possible.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm about as far from you as you can get, but we've just introduced mats, they're compulsory between dec and end of feb.

I support it, it's to protect the course ready for the centenary next year.

We do get a bit wet, the fairways can suffer so I'm all for this.

Our comps are still qualifiers even with them, which I don't really understand.

its only in certain Area's for us so 170 to 30 yards out on par 4's and 250 for the par 5, or drop to the edge of the marked zone,

I only use a mat from 120yards and in

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
its only in certain Area's for us so 170 to 30 yards out on par 4's and 250 for the par 5, or drop to the edge of the marked zone,

I only use a mat from 120yards and in

We have to use them between tee and green, although they are not compulsory around the fringe of the green so chipping is at least from normal grass.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Optional at my place, but they were compulsory at my last Club.. At the time I hated them, but comparing the condition of the fairways from my current Club to my last makes me realize how much difference they made..