Rocket Launcher mats

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't mind the mats... Perfect lie every time. That being said, I'm not a fan of the rocket launcher. If you hit it clean then it does go like a 'rocket' but if you catch it a little fat then the ball goes straight up in the air and the mat usually goes farther.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Fairway mats are compulsory for us from the Monday before Xmas until the end of Feb. Course protection is the usual rationale. Nobody likes them much, but we all love the pristine fairways we get in April in return. We have no qualifiers off the mats, surprised to read above that some clubs do.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have the Golf Multi mats at ours - they are ok but raises your ball quite a bit for every shot.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multimat-...166?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3ced149a46

Might have a dabble at the Rocket Launch ones if they are ok.

We use mats in the winter from the fairway, or, you can place in the first cut. We got given a mat like in the link above a few years back when this was introduced. I dont mind them, but i usually place in the first cut.

They have improved the condition of our fairways, but not so much that id say its made a huge difference.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Many members at my club have been using the Rocket Launcher or Smart Mat since 2014 when fairway mats are permitted or required in winter conditions.
A lady member has now reported that someone from the County has said they are 'illegal'. I'm awaiting advice from EG but has anyone else heard this?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I started reading posts against this topic and found that I didn’t recognise many of the posters, then I looked at when the posts were made…?

We lucky golfers 583miles south of Inverness are fortunate in that we never have to use mats. That’s said, the ban on the fairway treatment that we historically have used to keep worms in their place means that fairways are covered in worm casts, and these are getting trod down by our heavy feet into patches of muddy earth, and the more of these the more the patches start joining up. As a result in a few places our fairways are not looking great…we can pick and place…but within 6” it’s not always easy to find that ‘perfect’ place.

But we are fortunate compared with those of us who play their golf 583 miles north of Surrey/Hants borders…?

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I started reading posts against this topic and found that I didn’t recognise many of the posters, then I looked at when the posts were made…?

We lucky golfers 583miles south of Inverness are fortunate in that we never have to use mats. That’s said, the ban on the fairway treatment that we historically have used to keep worms in their place means that fairways are covered in worm casts, and these are getting trod down by our heavy feet into patches of muddy earth, and the more of these the more the patches start joining up. As a result in a few places our fairways are not looking great…we can pick and place…but within 6” it’s not always easy to find that ‘perfect’ place.

But we are fortunate compared with those of us who play their golf 583 miles north of Surrey/Hants borders…?
I suspect a high proportion of clubs in the north of England are using mats.

PS. EG say they know nothing about it. (ie Rocket Launcher ban)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3432

Those rocket launcher mats are as good as teeing it up. Now we are playing qualifiers in winter I think I will get myself one, off scratch before I know it.....:):ROFLMAO:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
We have never used mats at our place, but I think it would be a good idea. It just needs 3 years of voluntary use, 2 years of debate and then a vote at an AGM. There will be a great deal of hostility during those 5 years, I imagine. :unsure:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Due to the worm casting issues we use mats voluntary and have sold around 300 to our members at close to cost price for us . From tomorrow we will introduce compulsory mat use on 4 fairways from the 150 yard marker in, where the casting is worst

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Stopped using them years ago, made absolutely no noticable difference to course conditions. The course was still wrecked in April even after 3 months off for COVID. Its your feet and particularly your trolley that do the damage...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Those rocket launcher mats are as good as teeing it up. Now we are playing qualifiers in winter I think I will get myself one, off scratch before I know it.....:):ROFLMAO:
The couple of guys I know who use then is only for the convenience of it fits in your back pocket none think it gives them any advantage.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'll take playing off a matt over navigating mud on a course - we don't do mud
Reference to mud on my track is relative…absolutely fIrm underfoot but with muddy blotches due to worm casts being squidged…so that in a few areas susceptible to worm casts our beautiful turf can look a bit scruffy.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We play on clay soil so some holes on our back nine do get muddy. That said the club are very good at closing the back nine if necessary following excessive rain so we're never an absolute mud fest. I am pleased we aren't on any form of mat as making a good contact if a poor lie not only puts a premium on driving so you can pick and place but is a key skill of winter golf, especially around the greens.

Boomy

Visit site
I generally use a Smart Mat (as pictured) or sometimes the the astroturf style one the club supplied.
57C3B06D-400E-4A99-8DC3-5275F54E45F5.jpeg
7C264C94-D6D1-4898-8F24-764F3F421B1D.jpeg

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice & compact but the Rocket Launcher aren't easy to hit off.
I've tried just about every mat available & IMO the best by far is the Spurk https://spurkgolf.co.uk/shop-page/#short
Perfect lie every time........ as long as you can keep hitting the fairway...... just can't understand why you wouldn't want that.