Red Tees for juniors

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
So on the chart outside the pro shop, I can look up my playing handicap for each tee. Blue (old white), mens, White (old yellow), mens, Yellow (old red), womens.

So in the interests of inclusively, the colours of the markers have been changed, and the course rated for each tee, for men and women. But, the ladies tees are still officially referred to as the ladies tees on this chart.
Need to be careful as some clubs tees were unfortunately not rated for Male and female use. In those case the red will be only rated for ladies. Need to check with your club.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Need to be careful as some clubs tees were unfortunately not rated for Male and female use. In those case the red will be only rated for ladies. Need to check with your club.

I was told this was because ladies competitions were only going to be played from the red tees.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
If that’s the choice of the club then my feelings are they may come to regret it in the future. I’m sure the older seniors would appreciate being able to play from more forward tees.

I haven't found one course in our area where the red tees are rated for men and any of the other tees rated for women. Did find one course with no red ratings for women at all.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just checked as above. They have the colours of the tees wrong, as in the old colours, white, yellow, red, but yes, all 3 are rated for men, and reds only for ladies.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So on the chart outside the pro shop, I can look up my playing handicap for each tee.
I think you mean Course Handicap. Playing Handicap depends on the Handicap Allowance for the competition you are playing in. So in individual stroke play you would get 95% of the number on the board.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think you mean Course Handicap. Playing Handicap depends on the Handicap Allowance for the competition you are playing in. So in individual stroke play you would get 95% of the number on the board.

Didn't know that. This just gets weirder. So off the blocks, I am 10.1 index, playing off 12, but in a medal playing off 11. But if I play a random hit and giggle, I am off 12. It's gone from a simple system to something stupidly daft.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Didn't know that. This just gets weirder. So off the blocks, I am 10.1 index, playing off 12, but in a medal playing off 11. But if I play a random hit and giggle, I am off 12. It's gone from a simple system to something stupidly daft.
Not quite. If you are playing for handicap purposes (ie general play as per old supplementary scores) your Handicap would be 12.

The Competition Handicap is used for all handicap qualifying scores and is used for handicap adjustment purposes.
The Playing Handicap (ie after any Handicap Allowance has been taken into account) is used only for competition result purposes.

Remember, Handicap Index is course/tee independent and is therefore transportable to anywhere in the world. Any adjustment to it is not dependent on the type of game you are playing.
The Playing Handicap is to counter the bias that has been found in the results of very large statistical analysis into the results of different formats of play.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Not quite. If you are playing for handicap purposes (ie general play as per old supplementary scores) your Handicap would be 12.

The Competition Handicap is used for all handicap qualifying scores and is used for handicap adjustment purposes.
The Playing Handicap (ie after any Handicap Allowance has been taken into account) is used only for competition result purposes.

Remember, Handicap Index is course/tee independent and is therefore transportable to anywhere in the world. Any adjustment to it is not dependent on the type of game you are playing.
The Playing Handicap is to counter the bias that has been found in the results of very large statistical analysis into the results of different formats of play.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the effort to explain things to the less well ingormed. I kind of get it, but if the powers that be think this simplifies things, it really doesn't, and it in my view, is an absolute pile of junk.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Strange name for a chart that charts course handicaps.
England Golf refers to them as 'Slope Rating Boards' and the supplier calls them 'Course Rating and Slope Rating Panels'. Oddly their primary purpose is to provide Course Handicaps. They show both colour and gender separately.
Slope-Panel-Sample-Image-2.jpg

Last edited:

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site

This should read Course Handicap surely.