Calculating 95% allowance along with course rating - par

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am running our wee annual boys golf weekend. 4 of the 6 of us have Scottish Golf hcps.

Could someone please advise how to work out the strokes I should give for our stableford trophy. For those who don't have indices, I will just give them a number.

Edit - I plan to use the 95% hcp allowance.

If we base it on my course and hcp please and I will sort for our games.

Ken - index 3.6
Rating 72.3
Par 71
Slope 128.

Many thanks, KenL

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
An 18-hole Course Handicap is calculated as follows:
Course Handicap = Handicap Index x (Slope Rating ÷ 113) + (Course Rating –par)

so 3.5 x (128/113)+ 72.3 - 71 = 5
5 x .95 = 4.75 = 5

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Perfect - thank you.
That is what I thought but wanted to check.

Edit...

Or maybe it is not what I thought.

I did not think you would round to a whole number and then times by 0.95 and round again.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Perfect - thank you.
That is what I thought but wanted to check.

Edit...

Or maybe it is not what I thought.

I did not think you would round to a whole number and then times by 0.95 and round again.
Rounding the CH to a whole number before applying the 95% is what (certainly here in England) the authorities advise you to do if a device capable of providing a "machine precision" calculation is not available.

Otherwise...yes you would be right in your belief that the 95% is normally applied to the unrounded CH.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
I'm a maths teacher and have a calculator so will do

0.95[(Index x slope ÷ 113) + (CR - par)].

Hope that sounds right.

Probably not. This is the latest I can find on the subject at England Golf.

Rounding: As of April 2024, for competition purposes, the calculated and unrounded Course HandicapTM will be carried through to the Playing Handicap calculation using machine precision. For general play score submission, the golfer will continue to use the calculated and rounded Course HandicapTM.

This does seem to contradict an earlier document,

"Where there is an ability to use “machine precision” calculation by using ISV software or My EG app etc. thePlaying HandicapTM calculation will change to “unrounded”. The unrounded value is carried forward to thencalculate the Playing HandicapTM, the Playing HandicapTM would then be rounded to a whole number.
*Machine Precision – utilising the computer software to ensure the accuracy of the calculations."

This does seem to be out of date now but I would have questioned whether the term "computer software" embraces the "calculator firmware" that you are proposing to use. :eek::unsure::ROFLMAO:

Edit: Thinking about it, the first bit was really just about submitting a score so the earlier document probably still applies. So are you using "computer software"?

Another edit: On the other hand, you can do whatever you want as it isn't a club competition.

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
I am running our wee annual boys golf weekend. 4 of the 6 of us have Scottish Golf hcps.

Could someone please advise how to work out the strokes I should give for our stableford trophy. For those who don't have indices, I will just give them a number.

Edit - I plan to use the 95% hcp allowance.

If we base it on my course and hcp please and I will sort for our games.

Ken - index 3.6
Rating 72.3
Par 71
Slope 128.

Many thanks, KenL
Don't make it any more complicated than it needs to be, especially since some of your group do not have official handicaps.
Just use full Course Handicaps. Simple. Fair.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why do comps have 95% then?
often discussed in the past.

Basically in layman's terms the way it works higher handicap players get a proportionally higher number of strokes added to their H.I. than a low handicap player gets added to their's 95% goes some way to maintaining the 'correct' differential between the two.

Very very roughly (for those pedantic about the maths) 2 players one with a 10 HI and another with a H.I. 30 have a difference of 20 shots in their ability when the maths is applied the 10 may become 11 and the 30 becomes 33 now a 22 difference with 95% the 11 stays 11 the 33 becomes 31 so the difference remains at 20 shots.

Rounded or unrounded and where it occurs - given that you are giving 2 of the players fictional handicaps I would round as appropriate - you are not going to have machine precision for them so why apply it to the other 4.

wjemather

Visit site
often discussed in the past.

Basically in layman's terms the way it works higher handicap players get a proportionally higher number of strokes added to their H.I. than a low handicap player gets added to their's 95% goes some way to maintaining the 'correct' differential between the two.

Very very roughly (for those pedantic about the maths) 2 players one with a 10 HI and another with a H.I. 30 have a difference of 20 shots in their ability when the maths is applied the 10 may become 11 and the 30 becomes 33 now a 22 difference with 95% the 11 stays 11 the 33 becomes 31 so the difference remains at 20 shots.

Rounded or unrounded and where it occurs - given that you are giving 2 of the players fictional handicaps I would round as appropriate - you are not going to have machine precision for them so why apply it to the other 4.
Sorry, but this is just not an accurate explanation.

wjemather

Visit site
but a good enough one for those that do not want to get too technical like yourself.
I don't believe giving people incorrect information is good enough.

...higher handicap players get a proportionally higher number of strokes added to their H.I. than a low handicap player gets added to their's...
This depends on the Slope of the course. On courses where the Slope Rating is <113, the reverse would be true (if that's how you wanted to visualise it).

95% goes some way to maintaining the 'correct' differential between the two.
This is just making something up because you think it's easier to understand, but it's just not true at all.

Conveniently chosen numbers that appear to confirm something that commonly isn't true. If the intention was to maintain the difference in Handicap Indexes through to competitions, adjusting for Slope would be pointless.

wjemather

Visit site
They introduced 93% in OZ after a year when a single handicap golfer never won a thing......still a problem in my opinion.
This just isn't true.

You don't like the system, that's clear, but please stop making things up. Or at least try and make it less obvious.