Ready to quit the game

D

Deleted member 18588

I can sympathise having had the chipping yips for nearly two years now. Totally dispiriting and I have lost count the number of times I have genuinely felt like chucking it all in.

Two things stop me. Firstly the typical golfer's optimism that one day this dreaded affliction will pass and secondly; what else would I do?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Could you simply be overthinking everything? With all the diagnoses from different pros and the list you put up earlier in the thread, I'd happily admit I wouldn't know where to start with all that going through my head. I don't even understand half of it.

If pros have fixed it and it's come back, is t you that's reverting to old ways of working? Not golf but I see it at work a lot, ways of working improved and it lasts for a few weeks and then folk just go back to what they used to do.

Simplify would probably be my advice. Think about what you are doing rather than what you think you should be doing.
Actually, that sounded a lot clearer in my head...

Crucial point that - I had a couple of lessons and thought I had it cracked - and then stopped thinking as much about what I had to do. As a result I just pretty quickly fell back into my 'old ways' without realising it and BANG - they were back.

So I'm now feeling OK - 6 rounds without one. But I'm going to arrange a lesson for the next few weeks just to check that I'm not slipping back or grooving another big mistake.

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You dont seem to have mentioned a launch monitor on any of your lessons, having one on a monitor cured mine because I had the cold hard facts in front of me telling me what the club was doing at impact causing them. This allowed me to invest in the process of changing my swing with the aid of the pro because i believed in what he was telling me.

I started off trying to hit little chips waist to waist with a 7 iron trying to get a 7 iron to turn the ball right to left, it was a horrible horrible session however by the end of the first hour I was able to do it 3/5 times without shanking.

I slowly built this into the full swing and its a system I will go back to everytime I start to practice even if its only for 5/10 shots.

Like you I play off single figures and its a horrible situation, best of luck.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is a moment, either throw time, money and effort at it or go.

Its going to cost a lot of all 3 so if you go forward you have to be committed.

The alternative?

Go buy a pair of hiking boots, some decent maps etc and go for a long walk in the nearest hills. Its the best thing to clear your head.

8 weeks is hardly a break, take a whole season off, this spring to next spring. This summer go walking, explore the countryside around you and around this beautiful country. Wales, Scotland, England... All have wonderful walks you can do.

Whatever path you choose, commit to it and if you do leave the game then come back in 2018 with a fresh mind. Golf can wait a year, your love for the game might not survive it.

D

Deleted member 18588

Hope it is a physical/technique issue that can be corrected.

Mine is totally psychological. I can practice and not have an issue, I can stand over a chip on the course and know what I have to do and then.

Bang!! It's a totally unconscious action, something explodes and the club lurches in the general direction of the ball and it's yet another dub, thin, air-shot even and all the well meaning technique advice follows.

But it will get better, won't it?

Trojan615

Head Pro
Visit site
He did not come on and say, help, any advice, what do you guys think. He came on and said.. Im going to quit. That being the case... cya. Not nice to say but the post is just narcissistic and attention seeking if your not looking to move forwards.

Harsh... but I think a fair point.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
For those interested, I went to the range tonight. Something I promised myself this morning I would not do.
First 5 balls - great. Easy, my usual shot.
6th ball - shank. Set in after that.
Tried so many things and nothing worked.
I could find the hosel blindfolded at the moment

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For those interested, I went to the range tonight. Something I promised myself this morning I would not do.

Too many thoughts. Simple as and your scared to commit to the shot

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Some of the advice and offers etc., on here are lovely. I didn't set out to get them. I posted it in anger and I suppose to see if anyone could tell me that they've been there and came out of it.

Massive thank you to all who have contributed positively.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Do you have a video of your swing?

G

guest100718

The range does bore me and I don't practise - do you have a point ( to break the habit of a lifetime )

not really, just curious..in one breath you tell us the range bores you and you dont practice..in another youre down the range everday practicing.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Your problem is mental now you are mentally scarred. I haven't read the full thread but haven't seen any mention of weight? Where do you feel your balance point in your feet? Usually shankers have weight back in their heels causing them to move forward in the downswing and presenting hose to the ball. If I was you I'd seriously be working on balance and setup. Also if you hit balls with a very closed stance as though your trying to swing way out right it should help your path. Also if clubface is closed is it because of a strong grip or manipulation that is causing the face to be closed. Also if you hit balls that are teed up, try and swing out to the right. Do this to build your confidence back up. Don't quit, it's obviously very frustrating for you but are you really goina let a bad ruin such a great passtime. Even change the pro you are seeing and book a block of lessons, might cost a bit but at least it will keep you on the right track

D

Deleted member 15344

not really, just curious..in one breath you tell us the range bores you and you dont practice..in another youre down the range everday practicing.

No im not - maybe have a little re read of the post to see your error :thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

no need, its all there :thup:

You're correct but here it is to ensure you understand where you went wrong - highlighted for you as well

about 4/5 years ago when my HC first nose dived to 12 I got a big dose of the lambs. From March through to October I was shocking and came very close to packing it in and going to cricket. I just went to range every day hitting ball after ball trying everything - reckon I was standing too close to the ball so tried all sorts of swings when suddenly one clicked and I stopped having them

So as i said - the range does bore me and i dont practice every day

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have had bouts of them and still get the odd one now and then, usually when I am at my most confident. They are horrible but they are also caused by a swing fault, not a mental weakness. When I started lessons at Blackmoor Steve had me hit 10 shots, they weren't great but I didn't think they were that bad. Steve's assessment was "well you nearly shanked most of those", and further shots with impact tape on showed he was right. A decent pro should be able to fix without too much trouble.

Obviously you're the one who has to make the decision, but I would find a decent pro and get it sorted, it probably won't require a big change.

G

guest100718

You're correct but here it is to ensure you understand where you went wrong - highlighted for you as well

So as i said - the range does bore me and i dont practice every day
yeah yeah.. what ever you say mate:thup: