Ready to quit the game

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I feel for you mate.

My mate had them for a year then one day he shot level par off 12.

My dad had them a year or so ago also and was ready to sell his gear but overcame them as quickly as they came,its bloody mental isn't it.

Go on you-tube and look up Butch Harmen and the shanks he has a one and a half minute video and I'm sure that would help.

Good luck

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I had them real bad - playing to single figures - and was thinking of jacking it in - totally miserable. But had a couple of lessons and at first had to focus VERY hard on doing what I was told.

I played a lot of golf in evenings by myself so that I could play with NO PRESSURE and if I did one it didn't matter at all - and I could immediately put another ball down and focus on what I had been taught and redo the shot.

It has been tough and I know that they are still in there as I will do it if I let myself just casually swing the club as I'll instantly fall into my old swing and do what I used to do. Every shot I remind myself what I have to do. And I'm getting there. Haven't done one for maybe half doz rounds. And I was doing them EVERY iron shot.

Stick in there. You can sort it and the feeling will pass.

D

Deleted member 15344

Some extremely harsh replies on here so far

I feel your pain - about 4/5 years ago when my HC first nose dived to 12 I got a big dose of the lambs. From March through to October I was shocking and came very close to packing it in and going to cricket. I just went to range every day hitting ball after ball trying everything - reckon I was standing too close to the ball so tried all sorts of swings when suddenly one clicked and I stopped having them

They can destroy someone's love of the game and there is nothing worse expecting them to happen.

I think you need to find a happy place on the course - the pros get them including major winners , get yourself down the range and just keep hitting balls to get in a rhythm.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can we get a vid of your swing. Preferably hitting an old hozel rocket.

Hardly worth giving up the game before trying to get some tips off here.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
All different pro's have done different things with me, and each time they've come back with a vengeance.
That has certainly mashed my head a little, but at the end of the day it's me swinging the club and it's a physical action that's making me do it.

U

User62651

I think the fear has got hold of you - it's become a mental thing as much as a physical one.

I had them bad too to the point of packing it in, was playing off about 6 at the time and was over the ball knowing I was going to s&a^k it. Saw a pro, read some stuff, some application and hard work you can beat this - for me it was all about hip rotation (lack of) and better balance at address.

One tip to try is splay your left foot out towards target at address, maybe 35-45 degrees - encourages good hip rotation - clear the hips correctly and the clubhead will fall into the right track to the ball.

Stick at it and get some help.

G

guest100718

I feel your pain - about 4/5 years ago when my HC first nose dived to 12 I got a big dose of the lambs. From March through to October I was shocking and came very close to packing it in and going to cricket. I just went to range every day hitting ball after ball trying everything - reckon I was standing too close to the ball so tried all sorts of swings when suddenly one clicked and I stopped having them

They can destroy someone's love of the game and there is nothing worse expecting them to happen.

I think you need to find a happy place on the course - the pros get them including major winners , get yourself down the range and just keep hitting balls to get in a rhythm.

i thought you never practiced or went to the range...

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site

He did not come on and say, help, any advice, what do you guys think. He came on and said.. Im going to quit. That being the case... cya. Not nice to say but the post is just narcissistic and attention seeking if your not looking to move forwards.

U

User62651

He did not come on and say, help, any advice, what do you guys think. He came on and said.. Im going to quit. That being the case... cya. Not nice to say but the post is just narcissistic and attention seeking if your not looking to move forwards.

No, if you've had them bad you wouldn't say that, it's mentally excruciating and takes time to get over even when you start hitting it better. A call for help/understanding is not narcissism imo.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site

Not attention seeking in the slightest.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I feel your pain- I always seem to get a dose when practicing wedges off of mats and I definitely think it's a mental thing- never happens on the course (touch wood)

One thing I think causes it is thinking of all the technical aspects within the swing rather than concentrating on target- when I concentrate on target and landing spots it frees up my mind and I can usually make a smooth committed swing at it.

Maybe go out and try hardly even looking at the ball, keep practice swinging and pick target(landing spot if with wedges) then just commit.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, if you've had them bad you wouldn't say that, it's mentally excruciating and takes time to get over even when you start hitting it better. A call for help/understanding is not narcissism imo.

I have had them and he did not ask for help....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Several thoughts. If you've had lessons and still getting them, perhaps even worse you need to go back to your pro and demand more help and a detailed explanation of the exact cause.

Other than that, I'd film some swings and PM Bob offline who will be able to give you some fantastic advice. Well worth bending his ear.

It sounds like you're in a world of pain and I sympathise. It sounds like you're head is full of chocolate frogs and its becoming a self-fulfilling circle that you expect to shank and therefore do. Get some pro advice, clear your head, take a deep breath and wait until Spring, working it through on the range. Good luck

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Thank you to everyone who has offered some help. Granted, I did say I'm ready to quit the game and didn't ask for help, I'm glad most of you realised that I didn't want to quit really.
At the end of every session I do, and even now I do to some extent - but I know I won't. I'm just desperate to get over it and get my handicap down.

I keep going to the range and trying to get through it and I guess I will again.
Where is Bob based and does he do lessons? I'm based up North would be willing to travel to deepest Devon or anywhere if the instructor was that good and genuinely believed they could fix me.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thank you to everyone who has offered some help. Granted, I did say I'm ready to quit the game and didn't ask for help, I'm glad most of you realised that I didn't want to quit really.
At the end of every session I do, and even now I do to some extent - but I know I won't. I'm just desperate to get over it and get my handicap down.

I keep going to the range and trying to get through it and I guess I will again.
Where is Bob based and does he do lessons? I'm based up North would be willing to travel to deepest Devon or anywhere if the instructor was that good and genuinely believed they could fix me.

Save your money on lessons.

Its free on the internet and many top coaches giving advice.

Is Butch Harman any good?

You could travel a 1000 miles and get a short term fix

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site

Good on yer mate, tough times don't last, tough people do!

When I had them I started to tee the ball up directly adjacent to the right hand side wooden tee block/marker (as a R hander)
Meaning I had to clip the ball away without hitting the block with the toe of the club.
======
o

This meant I had to deliver toe of club inside tee block and on a straight path.
I also hit balls off my knees (after instruction from my pro) which helped me
Don't know if it will help you - or if you have tried these "fixes"?
It did mean I had to relearn to find the centre of the club but the "unspeakables" largely went away.

Still agree you should see Bob, or a "Bob" as it doesn't sound like you know what you are doing that causes this.
If you can find out and understand what it is, then you can get busy...

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Golf sucks when it's going badly. I am in a 40 year slump. Always hoping that the next round will help me see the light. That said, I play it more for the social aspect. I have a laugh with my playing partners and I also provide them with lots to laugh about.

I feel your pain mate I hope you work through it and still play the odd round.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Part of the problem is the OP is clearly quite good, off 8. If they were a bit rubbish then you would just laugh it off as part of golf. Sometimes being a bit rubbish is quite good, expectations are lower.