Rant: I've lost my game!

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am so frustrated with my game. I found something mid-last year and played a good season, going from 21 handicap to 17 (almost 16!).

Now, I just can't break 100. I'm hitting the ball the best I have ever hit it, but everything seems to be going against me! Missing all the greens, landing in bunkers, 3 off the tee, and putting seems to be really hit or miss. Our course isn't in the best shape at the moment, in fact, the greens are diabolical (in that they've had tram lines through them for the last 3 weeks) so my dodgy putting isn't a worry, but I don't want to put everything down to the course.

What can I do? I am so frustrated, good shots are coming off with bad results. I'm hitting the ball well and I'm walking off par 4s with 7's or 8's. I then get so angry at my bad scoring I start to change things mid-round which make things even worse.

I've tried "going for everything" (playing aggressively) and I've tried "course management" (like playing par 5's as par 6's with my 17h/c) and everything in between, and I still find myself with bad scores. The worse club in the bag is my driver so I've tried not using that, and the scoring does not improve. I'm at the end of my tether and fear I'll either give up entirely or wrap a club round a tree in frustration... help!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Welcome to my world.

Played like a right chopper for what felt like months, then out of nowhere shot 79.

Followed that up with a 76.

Still not feeling my swing but if the scores stay I couldn't care less.

Have you made any conscious changes?

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It can't be your whole game that is leading to bad scoring. Try to isolate what your poor shots are. Are you missing all the fairways? Missing every green? How is your chipping/ pitching etc?

Then try to work out where you miss- for example are you always short of the green then it could be clubbing issues etc.

I would start by playing everything as +1 its par- (play a 4 as a 5) that way you are not going for things you shouldn't and work from there.

There is always the soundest advice- find a good pro!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Must be withdrawal symptoms from not winning a competition recently?

Just stick with it, the season has only just properly begun, it will only take one half decent round and you'll be fine.

Remember off your handicap it only takes a half decent round and you'll get cut about 2 shots!

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only one thing to do.... Start enjoying the process. Play golf, have faith (you seem to) and chill. It will come to you.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Only one thing to do.... Start enjoying the process. Play golf, have faith (you seem to) and chill. It will come to you.

This^^^^

Tension kills the golf swing. I also find that the better we become the more harder we become on ourselves when we don't perform to a standard we're used to.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Could be you are trying too hard!

Relax and enjoy the other positive aspects of the game - mild exercise, company, fresh air and nice scenery!

But if you want an area to focus on, then short game, short game short game! Including putting of course!

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a lesson a few weeks back to make sure the wing hadn't gone too rusty through winter, a few small tweaks and the ball striking was great.

I wish I could say what the bad shot is, but it just seems each hole is different. I'll miss a green and 2 putt, or I'll three putt, or 3 off the tee, or just a bad lie from the drive to chop out to the fairway... other than some loose drives everything seems to be against me. I know I sound like a whiney little girl but I feel it's just not my fault (it never is).

Maybe MendieGK is right... I need to enter a twitter comp to pick myself up!

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I had a lesson a few weeks back to make sure the wing hadn't gone too rusty through winter, a few small tweaks and the ball striking was great.

I wish I could say what the bad shot is, but it just seems each hole is different. I'll miss a green and 2 putt, or I'll three putt, or 3 off the tee, or just a bad lie from the drive to chop out to the fairway... other than some loose drives everything seems to be against me. I know I sound like a whiney little girl but I feel it's just not my fault (it never is).

My only other suggestion would be in terms of the mental game. Pre shot routines and thinking about how well you are going to hit it rather than thinking about NOT doing x y z

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't get how you are striking the ball great but often having 3 off the tee? What about walking off par 4's with a 7 or 8... surely you are getting on or around the green in 3 shots and then what? Are you duffing chips and 4 putting?

I'm similar handicap and I know how easy it is to walk off with a 7 from nowhere but if it's multiple times during a round and it been happening for weeks, there must be something else going on!

How many par's per round 5 - 7 ?

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I feel your pain, first comp round I managed to play last Saturday, the front nine was great, 4's and 5's and a few pars, the back nine however was liked I'd forgotten how to play, it was one par, and the rest was 5's and 6's mainly 6's, finished off with a 94 5 over HC.

Like yourself DM, I'm hitting the ball great, probably the best I have in a long long time, tee to green is okay, putting is a gamble as the greens are still being worked on. I put it down to the golfing gods keeping me in check. A good hole followed by a bad hole just to keep things in balance.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Sounds to me like you're playing fine, but maybe not getting the rub of the green at the moment.
Stick at it and it will come shortly.

It's simply impossible in my experiences so far to play great all of the time.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't get how you are striking the ball great but often having 3 off the tee? What about walking off par 4's with a 7 or 8... surely you are getting on or around the green in 3 shots and then what? Are you duffing chips and 4 putting?

I'm similar handicap and I know how easy it is to walk off with a 7 from nowhere but if it's multiple times during a round and it been happening for weeks, there must be something else going on!

How many par's per round 5 - 7 ?

The odd three off the tee is usually going to a drive and not pulling it off. Once or twice a round maybe at max.

A typical hole would be a good tee shot, just short on the approach putting me in a bunker, the bunker shot running through the green, a chip not quite getting close enough for a 1 putt = 6 on a par 4. Add a duffed bunker shot or chip in there just for good measure & it's a 7.

Or, drive catching a deep bunker, get it out but no closer the hole, 3rd shot right of the green in the rough, chip on for 4 and 2 putt.

It's not that I miss every green or find every bunker, but it seems there's always something different on each hole that makes my score big. If I cream my drive on a par 5, I'll pull it left on the next one and find the ball up against a tree root.

If it was always my chipping that lets me down I could focus on that, but I'm no bad at any shot (without sounding big headed).

I just feel like I'm getting beaten up each round!

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site

This is just another rant about how unlucky you are getting.... give yourself a break and the opportunity to enjoy yourself!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The odd three off the tee is usually going to a drive and not pulling it off. Once or twice a round maybe at max.

A typical hole would be a good tee shot, just short on the approach putting me in a bunker, the bunker shot running through the green, a chip not quite getting close enough for a 1 putt = 6 on a par 4. Add a duffed bunker shot or chip in there just for good measure & it's a 7.

Or, drive catching a deep bunker, get it out but no closer the hole, 3rd shot right of the green in the rough, chip on for 4 and 2 putt.

It's not that I miss every green or find every bunker, but it seems there's always something different on each hole that makes my score big. If I cream my drive on a par 5, I'll pull it left on the next one and find the ball up against a tree root.

If it was always my chipping that lets me down I could focus on that, but I'm no bad at any shot (without sounding big headed).

I just feel like I'm getting beaten up each round!

Sounds like you're good at hitting the ball but need to get better at golf. Once you do that, you'll start shooting some much lower scores. Don't try and force it, it'll come.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am so frustrated with my game. I found something mid-last year and played a good season, going from 21 handicap to 17 (almost 16!).

Now, I just can't break 100. I'm hitting the ball the best I have ever hit it, but everything seems to be going against me! Missing all the greens, landing in bunkers, 3 off the tee, and putting seems to be really hit or miss. Our course isn't in the best shape at the moment, in fact, the greens are diabolical (in that they've had tram lines through them for the last 3 weeks) so my dodgy putting isn't a worry, but I don't want to put everything down to the course.

What can I do? I am so frustrated, good shots are coming off with bad results. I'm hitting the ball well and I'm walking off par 4s with 7's or 8's. I then get so angry at my bad scoring I start to change things mid-round which make things even worse.

I've tried "going for everything" (playing aggressively) and I've tried "course management" (like playing par 5's as par 6's with my 17h/c) and everything in between, and I still find myself with bad scores. The worse club in the bag is my driver so I've tried not using that, and the scoring does not improve. I'm at the end of my tether and fear I'll either give up entirely or wrap a club round a tree in frustration... help!

Unfortunately Adam, that's golf mate.......as has been said, take it in your stride, try to relax and just enjoy each round as it comes. A good score is just round the corner!!!

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've developed a severe over swing that is ruining my game at the moment. Probably way too fast on the back swing but I have a lesson booked at 8am tomorrow to try and sort it out.

Crawley1981

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I feel your pain, also seem to of lost lady luck of late and scoring above handicap way to often.

I play off 12 but todays 94 (23 over) consisted of 4x trebles and one quadruple bogey. 16 shots of the 23 lost on 5 holes. Suppose really I should be pleased with the other 13 holes and forget the rest.